Hickson -- PLEASE Stop!

Seriously man.  You probably don't appreciate it but when you update 40 posts like that you basically overwhelm the board and crowd out everything else.  A handful is fine but 20 or more updated in a day is too much.

To a casual observer it looks like spam -- especially with the all caps.  If you were anyone else I would have deleted everything and blocked you from the board.

No hard feelings and I hope to see you at the Black Pack Party on Thursday.

Peace

"If you were anyone else I would have deleted everything and blocked you from the board."

--Troy Johnson, Founder & Webmaster of AALBC.com

TROY, YOU'RE HAVING A PARTY ON THURSDAY & DIDN'T INVITE ME PERSONALLY??? OBVIOUSLY I AM JUST ANYONE ELSE! LOL! THANKS, BUT I ATTEND PRAYER SESSIONS ON THURSDAY EVENINGS! ENJOY! :0) 

:o Now when you put it like that... damn :-)

Hickson, I did not invite anyone personally -- admittedly, there are some who really should get a personal invitation from me (it is a resource issue).

As you know, or at least I hope you do, everyone is welcome come through it is like a homecoming.  We've been doing it for 7 straight years, most people just know about it.  You should consider coming through (God hold it against you if you miss an evening of prayer) --  inviting your authors too: http://bpp13.eventbrite.com/

bppfb2013.jpg

Hickson has been spamming the boards for years (during my "lurking" days), and sometimes deters me to wanna come to this forum because of that

Not once has his method had drawn interest for me to check out what he's about

His whole style is annoying and unprofessional...point blank

Hickson I know you read Nah'Sun's comment. At the end of the day man, I have your best interests at heart.  All of my experience online tells me what Nah'Sun says is true.  You do your business a disservice in the manner in which you post.

The last tactic however severely impacted the site.  At some point I have to draw a line because now your tactics adversely impact not only AALBC.com but our visitors as well.  It will take many days for the impact of what you did to work itself out.

The just something to consider...    Congrats on the 10 years!

Yeah the party was beautiful.  I'll share more about that later.

PEACE & GHETTOHEAT, TROY! WHAT'S IMPORTANT IS RELEVANT, WHAT'S UNIMPORTANT IS IRRELEVANT! THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR LOVE & SUPPORT FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS! I'M FULL OF LIFE, FULL OF LOVE, SMILING: & IN FULL CELEBRATION MODE! :0)

PEACE & GHETTOHEAT!

I see Hickson doesn’t take constructive criticism well, and that’s gonna be his downfall

I checked out authors like Kola Boof because she actually brought something meaningful to the board

In fact, her posts on the board had led me to wanna meet her @ the Harlem Book Fair two years ago, which subsequently led me to a book signing she held in Crown Heights

Hickson that does not sound like a Chinese proverb, "public opinion" sounds too contemporary. 

But in any case, the quote does not suggest that we do not consider the opinions of others.  A wise man ultimately makes the decision but he also uses his available resources.  He learns from the mistakes and experiences of others. 

The truly ignorant man makes no decisions he just follows whatever everyone else is doing like the proverbial lemming.

You have our advise, it is up to you to decide what you do with it.

@ Troy

Reasoning with Hickson is like talking to a brick wall

The irony is that he quoted a Chinese proverb about wisdom when he's ignoring the jewel I just dropped about readers such as myself supporting authors

Matter of fact...

A wise man isn't supposed to say to himself that he's wise...his words and actions speak for themselves...LOL

The question is: does Hickson's formula work for him?  If his business plan is reaping good results in the big picture, then we have to concede that there's more than one approach to achieving success.  I agree that the way he blitzes this site is overkill,  but this is only one venue. 

Kola Boof certain overwhelmed us with her annoying self-promotion, and I'm sure she considers herself a successful author.

As for constructive criticism, whether it is constructive or not, is in the eye of the beholder. 

If the genre of fiction Hickson is promoting isn't your cup of tea, then short blurbs typed in regular size won't be any more effective.

All I need to do is read the synopsis of a self-published book, to discern whether  it is something I want to read. There can be all kinds of red flags in the way a summary is written that will turn me off.

@ Cynique

The difference between Kola Book and Hickson is that Kola actually participated in multiple discussions regardless of my agreeing or disagreeing with her views

I think she’s a head-case at times, but at least I got a glimpse of her personality…and when I DID meet her in person a couple times, she turned out to be a good hearted individual, which had led me to buy her book

Kola gave me background info about her on the strength of the discussions on this board that drew interest from me to check her out

I’m turned off when authors constantly promote and advertise with no personality behind their doing because it’s amateurish and unprofessional

It’s like buying a car on the side of the street instead of getting it from a dealership

Half of the first page on this site is bombarded by Hickson’s constant promoting…I actually took a break from this website because he’s not offering anything of substance besides promoting his material…I don’t have time to surf through pages to find a thread I actually wanna read

My time is too valuable

On a social site, you sell your PERSONALITY before you sell the book…it has nothing to do with genre…I’ll read anything that doesn’t bore the hell outta me

Point blank

I'm off this subject because to each their own

• Like 1

Cynique, consider what a 1st time visitors reaction to our discussion board would have been.  I would have looked at it said the site is an unmoderated mess riddled with spam. 

Even if I were curious and opened one of the messages and saw all caps I would have run away. 

Nah'Sun's reaction illustrates what I feared.

The damage Hickson caused with the last stunt is incalculable. Again it will work it self out over time, but at what cost?  Was the potential benefit to his brand worth damaging AALBC.com's. 

One reason I did not correct the problem immediately was because I would have had to delete all of Hickson's posts -- delete anyone's comments is something I really do not like doing.  Again if Hickson was new to the boards I would have done it without a second thought or even a warning.

Kola used the boards brilliantly.  I wish more authors would do that -- but that really takes a rare talent.   However, Kola was not exactly a picnic either, but as you all know she did contributed to the conversations in a meaningful way.  I had to deal with a lot of mess regarding Kola, but nothing she did ever topped what Hickson did.

OK, Troy I didn't know you could track how many new hits this site got on a daily basis and far be it from me to be a spokesman for Hickson, or to protest your putting him in check.  I just figured all the regular members were used to his excesses and took him in stride or ignored him.

All I have to say further is that new visitors turned off by Hickson's saturation of Thumper's Corner did have alternatives to check out like Cynique's forum, ^_^ The Poetree Corner  -_-  and the New Release board.  :mellow:

Kola, of course,  was one of my favorite sparring partners and she kinda immunized me to "flamers".   ;)                                                                                                                          

:0) PEACE & GHETTOHEAT, PEOPLE, & THANKS FOR THE LOVE ALWAYS! TODAY IS THE OFFICIAL GHETTOHEAT WORLDWIDE TWITTER PARTY FOR THE LOUBOUTIN DON, MISS FOXY BROWN, HOSTED BY HICKSON: CEO OF GHETTOHEAT! IN COLLABORATION WITH THE 10-YEAR ANNIVERSARY FOR GHETTOHEAT, WHICH WAS 6.4.13, BLACK MUSIC MONTH 2013 & THE RELEASE OF FOXY BROWN'S NEXT ALBUM RELEASE, BLACK ROSES, GHETTOHEAT WILL BE PLAYING FOXY BROWN HITS ALL DAY & NIGHT & CHATTING WITH HER LAST NIGHT, AS SHE SHOWED LOVE LAST NIGHT, DISCUSSING GHETTOHEAT TITLES SHE'S READ & ENJOYED SO FAR: SONZ OF DARKNESS BY DRU NOBLE, & CONVICT’S BY DAMON "AMIN" MEADOWS & JASON POOLE!

IT'S A CELEBRATION, PEOPLE! FOLLOW @FOXYBROWNITSME @GHETTOHEAT & @HICKSONHOTNESS ON TWITTER AND JOIN IN ON THE FUN! :0)

PEACE & GHETTOHEAT!