JET’s August 12th Issue Reveals a Newly Revamped Look

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                

JET’s August 12th Issue Reveals a Newly Revamped Look

The publication’s first cover-to-cover redesign

CHICAGO, Ill. (July 19, 2013) — Johnson Publishing Company is announcing the first cover-to-cover redesign of JET magazine in the history of the publication along with the re-launch of the JETmag.com website.

Led by Editor-in-Chief Mitzi Miller, readers can expect an overall modern and engaging feel that makes each section easy to read.

“I’m very excited to debut the new look of the JET brand,” said Miller. “I'm proud to say that my team has created a product that strikes the perfect balance between freshness and familiarity. The new JET combines what our readers have always loved, with a modern look and vibe. I look forward to the continued support from our loyal readers and embracing a new generation of JET subscribers."

The cover of the new issue features Oscar winner Octavia Spencer and NBC’s Friday Night Lights actor Michael B. Jordan, who both star in the critically acclaimed film Fruitvale Station. Spencer and Jordan gave JET the details on preparing for the roles and their emotions that were sparked while reenacting the tragic story of Oscar Grant, a young Black man who was killed by a police officer in 2009.

Jordan, disclosed his impression of the media’s criminalization of Oscar Grant:

“The way media spins Black men... Once this happened, Oscar is all of a sudden a criminal, a degenerate.”

On the contrast between the media’s treatment of Adam Lanza, Spencer noted:

“When Adam Lanza went into Sandy Hook Elementary School and killed those children, news outlets painted him with empathy… They don’t do that when dealing with a young man of color— even if they are killed for no reason.”

The film hits theaters nationwide on July 26.

-###-

About JET

JET is the No. 1 African-American newsweekly and has more than seven million readers. The publication was initially billed as “The Weekly Negro News Magazine,” and is noted for its role in chronicling the early days of the American Civil Rights movement from its earliest years -- including coverage of the Emmett Till murder, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and Martin Luther King, Jr. The magazine has been a staple in homes and businesses of Black Americans since 1951, bringing life to its popular catchphrase: “If it isn’t in JET, it didn’t happen.” JET is the beloved bible of African-Americans and ranks No. 4 in reader engagement.