President Obama Speaks On Trayvon Martin At Press Conference

Guess somebody gave Obama permission to speak off the cuff about the Trayvon Martin verdict.   After consulting with Valerie Jarrett, and getting her permission Michelle probably put her foot in her husband's butt and suggested that he appear before the microphones and go into his "persecuted black male"  mode.  Even so, he was timid and tenative, to say the least, tiptoeing around the travesty of the stand-your- ground "law".  Tavis Smiley must've  been flushed with mixed emotions.

Anyhow, I failed to see how, in the course of his remarks, while making reference to his daughters and their friends, Obama would claim that the present generation is "better than us",   Certainly his sheltered children and their elite/white  peers are not representative of the average black kid or typical white one.  It's easy for children of privilege to express tolerance of others and harbor hope for the future. I don't know what this generation is better at, other than being dumber and more violent than the preceding one.

Whatever. it doesn't take much for Obama to retain the approval of his black constituency.  All he has to do is throw them a few crumbs and they're thrilled that he has taken baby steps.  Listening to  black conservative Republicans go public, pleading the case for their white massas  is enough to nudge me back into the fold.   

In spite of my cynicism, I sympathize with Barak.  "He could be my son". 

• Like 1

Barack is less than a year older than me, so if I had his ear I would probably be less sympathetic.  I did not listen to the speech indeed I did not know he had made one until someone emailed me asking what I thought about Tavis and Cornel's response.

I looked at my Facebook wall and of course there were multiple posts express either fawning praise over Obama's statements or outrage over what Tavis said.  At this point I've not heard statement from either man.  I'm simply not interested in what either has to say.

I responded to the women who asked about my opinion as follows:

"OK I just looked at my FB wall and see what you are talking about. I'm tired about complaining about Tavis -- my efforts are better directed toward uplifting those I agree with and trying to contribute in a positive way myself."

Cynique I'm glad you posted these sentiments here.  FaceBook just presents the same opinions to me.  I really dislike that.  I think Facebook must see that I'm a Black splitting his time between Harlem and Florida and therefore I must want nothing but positive opinions about Obama.