Troy

The 10 Best Damn Black Websites Period!

the-10-best-damn-black-websites-period.j

In the course of my search for independent Black book websites, Black newspapers, and Black magazines for Huria Search I decided to compile an entirely new list of websites the The 10 Best Damn Black Websites Period! 

These sites are noteworthy because they represent the cream of the crop (in terms of traffic), of what the world wide web targets to Black people.  I'll leave it up to you to decide if these are the best sites in terms of content.  

On Huria Search I also allow you to filter these sites on whether they are Black owned or not. You'll also find that virtually none of the most frequently visited websites targeting Black people are owned by Black people.

In no particular order we have:

1. GlobalGrind: http://globalgrind.com/
  2. HuffPost Black Voices: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/black-voices/
  3. Hello Beautiful: http://hellobeautiful.com
  4. Essence: http://www.essence.com/
  5. Black America Web: http://blackamericaweb.com/
  6. Black Planet: http://www.blackplanet.com/
  7. Urban Daily: http://theurbandaily.com/
  8. Bossip: http://bossip.com/
  9. Madam Noire: http://madamenoire.com/
  10. Hip Hop Wired: http://hiphopwired.com/

Each site must have an Alexa ranking of less than 25K (meaning they are in the top 25,000 websites).  Where Google is #1, Facebook is #2,..., and Global Grind is #6,669 (as of Sept 19th).  

I will analyze the most prominent content on these websites and report on it periodically.  A cursory glance yields some interesting thoughts.

If there are any another big popular Black websites not one this list, please let me know.  The site does not have to be Black owned.  Indeed one of the things I want to determine is whether the top Black websites are Black owned. 

Part of my motivation is to determine what makes these sites successful and to see if I can incorporate the best of these ideas into AALBC.com.

Another motivation is to see how much these site actually support the community in terms of linking to the content of smaller sites as an example.  I'm also interested in the content of these sites, are all of these sites really talking about Will Smith's son's tweets? 

I'm also looking for ideas for a new homepage design as part of my 2013 upgrade.  I'm going to remove much of the content on the homepage and distribute it to the homepages of the site's main sections (Book Reviews, Author Profiles, etc.). 

I know this goes completely counter to the trend of the larger sites listed above which are very busy with imagines and ads.

I fully appreciate what makes these sites popular will be things that I simply won't incorporate into AALBC.com, but it will be useful to do the analysis I might be surprised what I find that I can use.

Skimming through these various sites introduced me to a community I'm not that familiar with  They all seem well organized and professional but are what I consider E-mags.  I  have never acquired an enthusiasm for getting my news and trivia from the Internet because my computer always seems to freeze up and take a long time  to access sites where stories that  teaser blurbs have titillated me to read more about are located.  Then you have to wade through the ads and pop ups before you can either watch a video or read an article that often doesn't deliver what you expected.  I still prefer newspapers or TV as my source of current events info.   I just can't graduate from "old school".  

Round table discussion forums  seem to be a thing of the past, replaced by the hit and run "comment" format. But I guess it's all about giving the public what it wants.  

• Like 1

I'll add The Griot: http://thegrio.com They too will, deservedly, unseat one of the sites above.

Giving the public what it wants might seem like a reasonable assumption Cynique, but I'd dismiss it because no one wants to wade through commericals, look for the button to mute the video that automatically plays when you open up a page or to click through multiple pages to read an 100 word article

Sure ads are a necessary evil but are so many intrusive ads necessary?  I don't know if it is just greed in persuit of maximizing revenue or if the ads are necessary to stay in business.

I do know that the content on most of the sites is designed to appeal to the masses, which should be enough to drive revenue, but as with anything designed to appeal to the masses, there is a tremendous amount of compettion.  With so much competition, I guess the ads agressive and pervasive ads are necessary.

I also wonder what the effectiveness of the ads are?

I just stumbled across this website: Your Black World http://www.yourblackworld.net/ I was previously aware of the site, but I don't see it in search results any more so I have not have visited it in a long time.

I found it a few moments ago looking a twitter hash-tag for the film Baggage Claim, where I discovered an article their article: Just Shoot Me: 8 Things We Hated about the Movie “Baggage Claim”

Social media with the help of search are the gatekeepers in what can be found online. 

For example, I just did a Google search for THIS post.  I find it shameful that THIS page was not in the top search results -- just my Facebook page where you have the actually hunt for the post where I link back here.  Again, the content is not on Facebook just a simple link back to this page.  Again Facebook with Google's help controls which sites are found.  One has to wonder if I did not participate on social media at all would I still be in business?

Now, Your Black World's Alexa ranking is too low to be considered for my list, I may reconsider the nature my my list.  Maybe I'll loosen the restrictions so that more Black owned sites can be included.

Honestly, part of my motivation for the list was to illustrate how white owned media corporations dominate the Black voice online.  Even if the writers are Black the agenda is set by corporate (read: solely profit driven) motives which are largely destructive to the Black community.

I'm still looking for additional popular websites if you know of any.

Well I banged all the popular Black websites I could find into a database, crunched some numbers, and here is what I've found: http://aalbc.it/topblacksites  (Editor's Note 8/19/17: That report is being overhauled and improved check back later for updates)

Huffington Post's Black Voices is far and away the most popular site.  Part of the problem with their ranking however is that it is based upon The Huffington Post's domain.  As a result, Black Voices, it's ranking much higher than it would if it were a standalone site not buoyed by the fantastically popular Huff-Post.

It looks like the most popular websites on the web are owned by Interactive One which is part of the publicly traded company Radio One, Inc (NASDAQ:ROIA).  Interactive One runs websites like Madam Noire, Global Grind, The Urban Daily and other properties which combine to make Interactive One one of the most dominant purveyor of Black culture online.  As a publicly traded company they are not technically Black owned but I'll count them as such in my database for now.

If you read Radio One's Annual report from December of last year, the information provided about the risks facing their Interactive One websites sound almost insurmountable!  This despite a growing African American population.  It will be interesting to read this year's report. I suspect the environment has worsened.

Moguldon Media Group makes a fine (perhaps superior) showing with ownership of sites like, Bossip and Hip-Hop Wired.

As time goes on I'll collect data on ownership and other factors.  I'll also rank these sites more intelligently by considering additional dimensions beyond solely the Alexa Ranking. 

the-best-black-websites.jpg

More information about Alexa

Alexa tracks the top 30 million websites, about 4% of the approximately 700 million websites on the world wide web.

Google, for example, has an Alexa rank of 1,  Facebook's rank is 2, AALBC.com's rank is currently 251,262 (10/2/13), and dropping (getting better).  

For perspective, AALBC.com's Alexa rank has ranged from 86,000 to 400,000 (a recent low).    AALBC.com's gets the most traffic in the winter months (Xmas shopping and Black History month) and the least in the summer. 

But even a ranking of 400,000 ranks AALBC.com in the top 0.057% of all websites.  Stated another way, AALBC.com, at it's worst, gets more traffic than 99.943% of all other websites on the world wide web. 

Alexa rankings are approximations, since they do not have complete information on the majority of the websites that they track. In fact, the higher the Alexa ranking the less likely the number has much comparative meaning at all.  In other words, the difference in traffic between a website with an Alexa rank of 25,000,000 and 15,000,000 is insignificant. 

This is the reason I've implemented a cut off of 50,000 for the top Black website.  Also the number of websites that target Black audiences and have an Alexa ranking of 50,000 or less is small enough for me to easily manage. 

Besides, as far as I know, this is the first attempt to seriously quantify and report on the most popular websites targeting Black audiences.  This plus the information we are collecting in conjunction with the Power List should prove to be quite valuable for anyone interested in reaching the Black audience online.

• Like 1

Guest Gabe

All these other websites are cool, but www.Worldstarhiphop.com is for the children

-Ol' Dirty Bastard    

• Like 2

Apparently Godaddy say I owe them some money.  I just noticed this yesterday and have not had a chance to check it out.  

I was also considering just letting the domain just die, I've already migrated all the content over to the new website bookstores, clubs, websites, etc, and Huria failed to gain much support so...

Is the blog roll going to be there still? I really did like that feature, but once again I liked it and that doesn't mean that other people utilized an eight as much as I did. It's definitely disappointing.

Chris I just reenabled Huria.org for another month.  I have already migrated the data and will move the pages to the new version of AALBC.com.  I'll then just redirect huria.org to where it will live on AALBC.com so Huria.org will live on :-)

Im sitting in my car waiting for the national book awards to start. I'm gonna seeing if I can edit and publish video tonight. That might be a tall order because I'm tired now.

I hope the contacts are good and you get some great content!!! Gotta edit the video while the content is still being searched for... it's a part of the biz.

I just posted three video, but that is all I have time to do.  I have a to teach a class this evening and get to to ATL in the morning.

bookclub-shares.png

Satire reminiscent of a more vibrant time on these discussion forums.  In fact, these type of statements ran many folks away, to suckle at the teat of platforms where their worldviews are reinforced and their sensitivities are never shaken.

It often seems that the mere presence of Black people in a community is the cause of a community's destruction.  But people with some knowledge of history know this can't possibly be true.  Perhaps a good start for people interested in going beyond a superficial understanding of this issues, would be to the read the article in The Atlantic, "The Case for Reparations."

Of course there are tons of books on this website that would help as well; I would start with these.

Guest Mathibela

I am in South Africa. I would like to start a website which will empower and inspire young black South Africans. 

Guest Ultra Ulvick

I would like to introduce a new website called blackawarenessfoundation.com. We focus on current events, history and most of all, awareness! Please check it out today! Thank you. 

-Site admin 

Hi Ultra,

I've checked out the site, but I have to admit the banner at the top of your pages confused me because it does not seem to match the name of the website "Black Awareness Foundation."  Your menu's say things like, "Black Giving Back," "Black Hero Series," "Reconstruction of the Black Family,"  But the logo seems to have a white hand in it.

Now I know Black people can have hands that color, and I have nothing against white folks, but the intent of the site upon initial inspection is confusing. Looking deeper the vast majority of the content deals with bi-racial hair issues; which explains the banner.  

The focus on current events and history you promised in the description above feels like a bait and switch tactic--that honestly rubbed me the wrong way.

Why not simply present the site as one for Biracial people?

New-cards.jpg

I actually decommissioned the Huria Search website earlier this year, where I tracked the most popular Black themed and Black owned websites.  All of Huria Search's information has been, or we be, intergrated into AALBC.com's website: http://aalbc.com/huria/

While the Huria.org continued to grow in terms of traffic, I was hoping to get more people to embrace the Huria Search Engine, as a way to find content generated by Black owned websites.  Huria Search simply did not gain the traction that I'd hoped, so the effort of maintaining a separate website was not worth the effort or expense.

I was using a fee based, customized version of Google Search to power Huria Search.  Today I'm using a free version so the results now have advertising, which is not ideal, but again I could not longer justify the expense.  So the Huria Search Engine is still on AALBC.com, and I still use it when I want to see what Black folks are writing about a given topic, like the Dallas Police Shooting.

Guest White Man

I am the guy you love to blame for all your problems.   I am in my 50'spare, white, with those devilish blue eyes ☺.  Believe me,  I am not the cause of your problems.   Stop blaming white people for the sorry state of the black community. Stop committing crimes against whites people.   This "Black Lives Matter " organization is trying to start a race war.  How do you think that is going to end for you?  At some point,  white people will conclude that "enough is enough " and react to defend themselves.   That will not be good for you and will last a generation.   That time is now.   For the sake of Black Nationality and the safety of black people,  put an end to the false narrative of BLM.   Instead, do something positive and draw closer together as a Black Nation. 

Look to yourselves for the answers to your problems.   Black  people helping other black people climb the ladder of success rather than hurting one another.  Stick together.   Leave the white man alone except to learn from him and do business with him as equals.  Be proud, strong, and brave.   You must set an example for the next generation to follow. 

Right now, the biggest problem the Black Nation faces is its blind loyalty to the Democratic Party.   You all have just been field hands on the Democratic Party Plantation for two generations.   Where has it gotten you?  Look around you.   The black community needs some much investment that isn't being delivered.   Blacks vote Democratic because the Democrats promise something for nothing.   They never deliver shit!  When are you field negros going to wake up and realize that there is no free lunch.   The Democrats have rigged the system to create fatherless black homes.  Because if that welfare mom gets caught with a man in the house,  they cut off her payments!  You can thank Lyndon Johnson,  our Democratic President for doing that to us back in 1964.  Stop voting for Democrats and start voting for Republicans!  Turn the Republican Party into the voice of the Black Nation!  At least Republicans respect you enough to create jobs worthy of your time.   Democrats say you can't work and living in the welfare ghetto is the best you deserve.   Republicans are willing and able to invest the dollars in the black communities to get the wheels of productivity rolling.  Have some self respect.   Make a commitment to the future,  to your legacy, to your children,  to the generations to follow.   Do the right thing:  vote Republican.   Get your friends, family, and neighbors to join you.   Show courage and the conviction of your beliefs.   If a good percentage of the Black Nation votes Republican,  they will owe YOU.  They will court the black vote with real favors and meaningful programs, not empty promises.   But voting Democrat is an absolute guarantee you will get nothing,  just like before. 

Black Nationality is the way forward.   Help each other out.  Do not victimize other blacks.  Respect your elders.  Don't do hard drugs.   Get the cracks dealers out.  Respect each other at all times.   Men:  take care of her!  Don't be a dog.  Never let her fear you.   Ladies:  Keep yourself up for him.  Never disrespect him.  His life is hard as it is,  he needs your support. 

You don't need white people to be happy and successful as a black man or woman.   Stop comparing yourselves to whites.  Stop hating whites, that is wasted emotion.  To the extent that you can, leave whites alone.   Besides,  your community needs you.   Don't race mix.  Invest in your community,  your schools,  and your future. 

Do the right thing. 

I wish you all the best. 

• Like 1

Humm I'm just now reading the post from Guest White Man.  I'm not sure why he thinks this site is blaming white folks for Black problems, or why he associates it with BLM. While I agree with him regarding our slavish devotion to the Democratic party, I seriously doubt the Republicans can do any better. 

There is little indication that RatchetQueens.com or blackcoffy.com gets much traffic.  They don't have very many backlinks and are not ranking very high in search any terms other than the web site's name.  Colossill.com is doing much better and has seen a surge in organic traffic over that past 6 months. I'll add these site to my database and track them going forward.

I'm probably a few months away from updating the Best of the Black web portion of the website.

Guest FinallyFree

I hate to sound like a sane black person but i find it funny and disturbing that some black news sites has white employee on their staff. I'm pretty sure,you'll give me a lecture on diversity and such but i dont think you can run a black news site if you have white writers and editors ,who know nothing about being black or black lives. By saying this, you might say I'm inciting or whatever people say about black radicals today.

Finally free, be free and don't expend energy try to guess how people will react here.  The folks who comment here are all individuals and often disagree with each other, and sometimes even disagree with themselves ;-)

I actually had not considered the racial makeup of these websites.  What struck me most was the nature of their content. Perhaps some of these Black-owned sites are interested in reaching a white audience and hired personnel to help make that happen.

Guest finallyfree

I find it troubling to know that we have no safe spaces and it look like we have to meet at grandmas house to discuss black issues. I know i cant probably be an ancestors but it seems very familiar to what our actual ancestors went thru trying to find a space to discuss us ,kinda like sunday morning church on a plantation  with massa sitting right there. History repeats and try to erase itself at the same time. I love that you are actually searching for us who are looking for safe spaces, Thank you Brother.

• Like 2

Finallyfree, I'd encourage you to create an account, that will save me the effort of having to approve your comments..

You actually touch on a very important point, perhaps more important that you can appreciate.  You see virtually everything that happens online is driven by money, if it is not profitable it dies. The entities with the ability to accumulate the most money wins.  It does not matter it the money was accumulated fairly on a level playing field, or it the content produced provides any value to people. This has always been the case; the world wide web has just put this process on steroids.

What does this have to do with Finallyfree last comment?  Well providing a safe place to "discuss" is not profitable, so platforms that try to do this find it very difficult to survive.

Even the truth is less profitable sensational lies.  Twitter I'm sure is making money hand over fist by providing a platform to disseminate Trumps lies. Fake news sites, in general, can be very profitable, so these proliferate in today.s environment.

Of course I can go on and about this.  But this also helps explain the nature of the content of the most heavily visited Black owned websites...

• Like 2

Much love to you brother troy. I opened my site www.theblack-board.com less than a year ago and am honored to see it mentioned in here. I can attest to a lot of the issues you bring forth in this discussion, it seems only gossip and fluff articles attract large number of views, and a large majority of Black people unfortunately seem uninterested in discussing real Black Issues.

I am thinking the climate of today's culture will change this. I recently relaunched the news portion of my site and aim to focus on substantial issues and not the reality-TV obsessed content you see at any of these "black" sites. it is a uphill battle but I am prepared for it. I wish you nothing but the best, I appreciate and respect everything you are doing here.

• Like 3

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.