Heads or Tails?

The nature of reality is an ongoing enigma, a subject that is frequently explored on this board. It's a concept that I never tire of contemplating. Is reality an illusion? Is illusion a reality because it can be mentally perceived? When it comes to reality, does it matter whether something is tangible or intangible? Is deception the same as an illusion, and is one person's reality another one's lie?

The 2 pictures below were taken a couple of days ago. The first picture was taken about 20 minutes before the second one, proving how external factors can embellish and disguise. Nobody embodies the mystique of reality any more than humans who create the paradox of facades that are ironically real.

I am Cynique and Cynique is me. "Me" is, of course, is an abstraction and an abstraction is real if it materializes into what it represents. Or is it? To be or to be. Do we have a choice? Cynique by any other name would be just as contrary.

Alter egos have become options for those who believe it is true that both sides of a coin are real. Are truth and reality the same. Or is this false because it involves subjective judgment.???

before%20and%20after.jpg

• Like 1

I ask myself this question in the form of Destiny and free will. I am currently working in a problem as to how your mind, feelings, thoughts and desires influence your world. I am pretty certain that reality is scripted by that the individual. So certain things that i want to happen happen. The problem this creates is massive. So I can see the attraction of linking to any of the following philosophies: religion; science; materialism; veganism; humanitarian; materialism; spiritualism; paganism on an on. I think it is easier to see the nature of reality if you choose none of these philosophies, or choose two that are somewhat antagonistic. Actually i am not certain if that is true. But it is what I have chosen to do probably since I was a preteen. The more I can see the fictions, the less helpful it becomes. I believe that if you were able to unravel or define reality. It would cease to make sense. The other problem is other people would perceive you as abnormal. And you would be but not in the negative. If you were to talk about what reality actually was or wasn't, you'd be run out of most communities. Since you would be undermining and destroying someones belief system. All wars,conflicts and disagreements re due to differing beliefs. Prices of real things are set or changed because of value, what you perceive it is worth to or for you. When i was in grade school a teacher said you can't live in society without trust. Trust and belief seem to be related.

• Like 1

Cynique - what you have written is incredibly dense. Its amazing because it makes me think while I am writing. I am trying to be critical and objective. Which just writing that opens another tangent. If you had an infinite of tangent lines, and the sum of the tangency was 90 degrees you would have a circle. A circle is a square that you add an infinite number of lines. Square Pentagon...Octagon. Each addition line approaches a circle.

• Like 1

Cynique it may take me a while to digest and respond to your post. I may repeat or recover or contradict myself, but none of it will be wrong because it was true when I wrote it. Even if it is invalid. Which is for me the crux of most disagreements. True statements are mistaken for valid statements. I am using these terms as they would be used in mathematics. So you can have true statements in mathematics that don't translate well into the language of words. Words and numbers are magical elements, like the number 13, or the word disaster.

I pretty much agree with what you say, Delano and, of course, I'll  be interested in your further feedback, but I won't necessarily be evaluating it because I certainly don't know the answers to the questions I pose. When I am moved to ponder the subject of reality, I simply sit down in front of the computer screen, place my hands on the keyboard, and questions  just pop into my head. What I write seems to flow from my brain to my fingers and feed upon itself, spurring me to write more...

When I was a kid it was not uncommon to see a women dressed exactly like Cynique (on the left) out and about in the street.  It is quote a vivid memory because I would wonder where one would by a dress like that. The ones I remember didn't even have buttons.  I guess the woman would just slip it over her head and she was good to go.

It is interesting to see the before and after photos I have to admit both images conjure different impressions -- emotions even. I guess in the finally analysis nothing I perceive is the "real" Cynique.  I suspect though our own self-perceptions are just as flawed.

There was an interesting story in this American life recently.  The brilliant college professor believed his success was due to the efforts of a single substitute teacher who something special in him as a result of a paper he plagiarized.  She got him into an elite private school he then went on to Harvard and is recognized as a top professor at the University of Chicago.

Trouble is his beliefs and the story he tells about his reason for success was completely wrong.  They were able to track down the teacher who related a completely different story.  They were able to verify what he believe was inaccurate from the condition of the school and how he got into the private school.

If was difficult for him to accept the truth, it was as if the fact screwed up his word view.  I think most of us do this, if we don;t we should 'cause the world is a pretty harsh place and with our a little glossing over of the past and present to lessen the pain and some dreams for the future what is the point? A periodic dose of the "Blue Pill"  keeps people sane.

Interesting anecdote, Troy.   BTW, that's actually a "housecoat" I have on, also known as a "duster".  At least this is what midwesterners call these garments which are still very commonly worn by old ladies, They serve the purpose of a robe and are worn over night gowns or PJs. And you can still buy them in stores. But they are currently not something you'd ordinarily wear out in the street. I guess this is not something  a middle-aged man would know anything about.  :lol:  

I daresay that a camera is probably the closest thing capable of accurately capturing tangible reality. Especially these digital ones they have nowadays.  They clearly reveal  all your physical traits.  And neither the person being photographed or the person taking the picture have control over the final image that the inanimate lens captures.  Of course a picture  will eventually undergo subjective scrutiny. 

When I look at those 2 pictures they're interchangeable in my mind. I am me. My body is not my soul.   

I would argue that until we can define consciousness or where the mind resides. Then none if this is real. So if we are just imagining this like The Matrix tangible is intangible.

Deception seems like a malignant need or way off interacting.

Yes I think if you have opposing views it can be that one lie is another's reality. However I feel Borg parties would have the truth, but it may not be valid universally.The nature of reality is an ongoing enigma, a subject that is frequently explored on this board. It's a concept that I never tire of contemplating. Is reality an illusion? Is illusion a reality because it can be mentally perceived? When it comes to reality, does it matter whether something is tangible or intangible? Is deception the same as an illusion, and is one person's reality another one's lie?

I labeled a facade a paradox because it is a real  deception, Delano.  When it comes to people, they can be genuinely phony. 

Sometimes, people are self delusional due to ignorance, because they are not aware that they are in denial about themselves. So this makes their delusion a fact.   Indeed,  the bottom line is that the truth  can hurt

I repeat.  As an inanimate, technical device, a camera accurately captures an image.  Conceivably a still picture of a naked person is reality caught on film.  A picture of a nude women who has boob implants is a true recreation of a false enhancement. :blink:  

Puleeze, Pioneer.  It might've taken even less than 20 minutes since my daughter, who took the pictures, was in a hurry to leave, impatient with my whims - and who, incidentally, decided to turn on the celing light to create a brighter effect in the second pose. Break records? Mob wife??? As usual, your Irrelevant humor(?) eludes me.

All my transistion involved was taking off and putting on; not a lengthly process.  It's a routine that every woman has down pat when she gets ready for work in the morning.  Yes, eye-make up can be a time-consuming process which is why I eliminated this ritual by wearing sun glasses. Running a powder puff over your face, putting on lipstick, slapping a wig over your corn rows, can be done in less than 5 minutes. 

Getting her avatar ready to face the world is a transformation that a gal can take as long or as short a time as she chooses. Trust me.