What Are You Reading Now?

Troy

The following was a bulletin board at from this year's (2013) Brooklyn Book Festival (click here fore more photos a few videos).  It struck me because the question was a popular one here so I figured I kick it off here :-)

My little sticky shows the book I last read, which was Jaron Lanier's Who Owns the Future.   Honestly, the last book I actually finished was H.N.I.C. by Prodigy, but I did not feel like mentioning it.  The book was fine, but not really suited for me.  I imagine a teenager would enjoy it. I would certainly recommended it to a high school student it is a very quick read.

what-are-you-reading-brooklyn-book-festi

These  "door stops" I've  taken on lately are really challenging.  Just before I started "Miss Anne in Harlem", I took on Dan Brown's latest, "Inferno" .  It was close to six hundred pages, too.

Brown, of DaVinci Code fame, as usual made puzzle solving the centerpiece of his plot.  I always wonder why his characters don't just don't leave written messsages for those in pursuit of answers instead of complicated codes.  Whatever.

This book was about, of all things, the need for population control because while everybody else is focused on global warming and global wars and global starvation, the planet will soon not be able to support the people who live on it, and off it because there are too many of them. This premise naturally called for a look back at the great plagues in history and how, um, maybe, a modern one induced by sophisticated technology is needed in  today's world.  Naturally, the hero staved off the forces trying to make this point,   It was a very informative book and for that reason I 'd give it 3 stars. 

I fell along the wayside with Miss Anne but with renewed resolve  I have gotten back into the groove and  will be returning to it tonight. 

Here are some replies from Facebook.  No matter how hard I try it is very difficult to pull people away from Facebook -- it is like trying to get a mad dog off the back of a meat truck :-)

Here are a few posts left there:

"Beverly Jenkins, Destiny Surrender. Catching up on all Maureen Smith books."

"Im reading Mind Your Own Business by Lutishia Lovely"

"The manuscript to Check Your Keys second edition. It's my book that I have to submit to the editor. LOL"

600 pages! -- sounds like Danny's book could have used a bit of editing.  As you wrote the Miss Anne book is about 1/4 notes.