My baby girl is becoming quite the satirist ;-)

I don't often talk about my kids on these forums but I have to admit my baby girl is developing into a very good writer.

She writes a regular column for her school newspaper.

Her latest column is on Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith's kid Jaden Smith's recent declaration that “School Is The Tool Used To Brainwash The Youth.” http://flathatnews.com/2013/09/30/if-newborn-babies-could-speak-twitters-philosopher-king/

I always that that was what mainstream media was for.  At any rate, maybe one day I'll be able to get her to write for AALBC.com ;-)

Troy

Lol......
I see she's inherited your smile.

She seems to be politically astute for her age also.

I notice her first name.,
Not sure if you or her mother decided on that name but in the same spirit of our discussion of "Black" and "White" names in another thread....I think her name probably contributes to her success in some way.

Not to take away from her talent, but I doubt that a young lady named Nee'quanda "Nee Nee" Jenkins would have followed the same path.

We were gonna name her Zora, but switched to Zoe at the last minute.  Her sister's name is Maya.

The names really have more to do with class than color.  But the presumption is that all Black people are low class so the distinction is rarely made in our case.

Couldn't go wrong with those names, Troy.  "Zora",  as in Zora Neale Hurston?  "Maya" as in Maya Angelou?  Is what you ended up naming your daughter pronounced Zo or Zoee?   

We are brainwashed about names.  We think that white female names like Hannah, Abigail, Emma and Maude or surnames used as first ones like Taylor and Tyler and Morgan are  acceptable names,  but we ridicule and reject musical names that roll of our tongues like LaQueezetta or TaShanese.   I'm guilty of wincing at some of these names that black folks come up with, too, but what's really in a name?  "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Too bad that names nowadays are like a brand. Celebs can get a way with giving their kids crazy-assed names but black folks are penalized for their made-up names.  Who'd ever have thought a time would come when "Mary" would be an uncommon name? 

My first name is a Spanish one: Consuelo . And I actually detect a subtle bias in my favor from HIspanics who see my name in the course of interacting with me.  The  last time I was taking a road test to renew my drivers license, the Mexican tester actually passed me because he was influenced by my name - and because I had a tattoo.  Neither of which was a good reason for allowing me to get out there and drive at my age.( I was named after an aunt and how she got a Spanish name, I'm not sure.) 

I prefer short one-syllable  names for boys.  And as I have mentioned on numerous occasions,  I really like the name "Troy".   

• Like 1

I only came across one couple or person that didn't give any effort to the name if their child. I think names do matter. Similar to chanting. A found or a word had a vibration. A friend told me my name sounds like I have money.

I think James Baldwin wasn't hampered by his name. Although I believe the name can describe character. So I am not certain whether I agree it disagree with Pioneer. Actually it is both. I think Zoë is talented, and yor name descubes you.