The Brain is an Electrical Device

Obviously the brain is an electrical device because thoughts send out wave lengths.  I would consider mind conrol and the power of suggestion as forms of brain hacking.  This video, itself,  is sending subliminal messages because it is basically an ad for what it is promoting.

The brain is not just electronic, it's a computer.  As I've gotten older, I have a hard time remembering names.  But if I feed into my brain everything I know about the person whose name is escaping me, my brain processes the data and, invariably, right in the midst of my thinking about something else, the name I was trying to remember, pops into my head!  :o

The brain sits in the middle of our skull just waiting for us to discover its miraculous powers.    

The charismatic leaders of cults who exercise total mind control over their followers, to me, have hacked into the brains of  their devoted followers   These mesmerizing people have developed techniques which enable them to penetrate the mentalities of vulnerable people, and then re-program their mind-sets.  In the process, they spread the virus of their tenets. 

I question as to whether the mind and brain are separate.  I think the brain, the mind, the soul are a triumvirate, all co-dependant variations of a single entity which defies words.  We are who we are, what we are, and why we are.  :blink:  

My theory has no more validity than yours, Delano,  We are both trying to express our feelings about the mystery of ourselves. But as I contend, some things can't be put into words...  

But the poem below by Langston Hughes kind of does make an attempt.

It is wise to

suffer illusions,

Delusions,

Even dreams -

To believe that in this life

What is real

May also be what it seems.

What is not true

May be -

For you...

Delano

The mind doesn't exist physically or temporally on earth. So in my mind it can not be influenced by spatial-temporal effects.

Are you talking about Carl Jung's theory on the "higher self" remaining in the spirit realm?

Clearly there is part of our mind that exists on Earth.
It may not be physical, but it's definately there.
It's called the "ego" and it's what keeps us grounded.

Now I believe that there are OTHER parts of our mind that dwell in other realm(s) but unless you are in a coma, some of your mind is in this Earthly/physical realm.

Troy

The mind and brain are separate. What about the soul? Is the soul yet another part of us?

I don't have hard proof to back this up but my belief that we as humans (and animals) are made up of 3 distinct substances combined.

1. Soul (our real selves)
2. Spirit (that which gives us life and animation)
3. Body (the physical body)

Just like the brain is PART of the body....
The mind is PART of the soul.

Are our minds distinct from each other the way our brains are?

As part of our souls...I believe our minds are distinct, however I do believe in a "collective conciousness" that connects us on some level.

So we have; Soul, Spirit, Mind, Brain, Body.

I'd group Brain and Body together since they are part of the same system.  The mind seems to be the by product of the brain and the body's interaction with it's environment and it the thing that is really impacted with the brain is hacked, so I'd group the mind in with the brain and body.

I'd also group Spirit and Soul together as they seems to describe the same thing

SO the question remains are the Soul/Spirit separate and distinct from the Mind/Brain/Body? 

An autistic boy went missing a week ago, here in New York City.  The police have enlisted the help of psychics to find him.  I'd be very surprised if the psychics actually help find the boy.

What senses are these psychics employing to find the boy?  Are they using their brains or their spirits (or both)?

Well, Troy, you do well to question somebody else's breakdown about what nobody knows for sure. You make as much sense as  anybody else when it comes to the components of a glob of protoplasm.   ;)

I doubt if the psychics have much success either.  Giving the boy's scent to a blood hound would probably reap better results.  ESP is most effective when 2 acquaintences are trying to contact each other through mental telepathy. Seems to me, the thought waves of an autistic person would be especially diffcult to merge with.  Trying to conjure up images of the location of a missing person is hit and miss.  Psychics are most successful when they can question people because most people in their eagerness to help out, reveal the things that the "psychics" are able to use and make vague general comments about. 

Pioneer - I wasn't specifically thinking of Jung, but the comment fits.

Where in physical reality is the mind located. You could also ask the same question about the following: thought; memory; feelings; the subconscious; unconscious; preconscious.

Your definition of mbs works for me.

We can only see what our eyes are capable of perceiving.  Just because our eyes don't see something doesn't mean it's not there.  There may be be physical entities around whose vibrations we are not in sync with so we aren't aware of their presence.  Trying to explain the unknown by relying on the limitations of the 5 senses is tricky business.

Freud and Jung are purveyors of schools of thought.  They are not omniscient.

Troy

It's not easy to describe these concepts in the English language because English tends to use the same word to describe several different concepts, but I'll try to clarify MY definitions......

What we commonly call the "spirit" is NOT the same as what we commonly call the "soul".
The spirit is simply LIFE....or the "chi" energy force talked about in Eastern philosophy/medicine.
Man, animals, plants....anything alive has it.

But the SOUL....is different.
It's conciousness, awareness, subconciousnesses as well.....it's the real you abscent from your physical body or bodies (if you believe in reincarnation)
It's the "you" in your dreams.

And just like the brain is part of the body, I think the mind is part of the soul.

Troy and Cynique

Trust me.....
If it were bullshit, police departments around the country....even the world...wouldn't be using psychics.
Regardless of what they're telling the public or the skeptics...psychics obviously work or police departments wouldn't be using them.

Presidents and Prime Ministers around the world employ astrologers to help them make decisions, and have been for thousands of years.
Hell, even Mr Conservative himself Ronald Reagan had a psychic/astrologer in the Whitehouse...lol.

The Vatican uses psychics and astrology also.

Like Cynique eluded to, there are many more senses besides the 5 we have in our physical body.

Ever had a dream where there was no sight or sound but you were busy as hell getting and giving information?
I've had dreams where I was very occupied doing something that involved no sight or sound but kept my "mind" very busy and focused.

Del

Where in physical reality is the mind located. You could also ask the same question about the following: thought; memory; feelings; the subconscious; unconscious; preconscious.

Your concious awareness is the mind manifesting itself in this physical reality.

It connects this world with the more spiritual/ethereal realms.

Your memory, feelings, dreams, are all involved.....I believe.

A good example of this would be what we refer to as "deja vu".

You dream about so many things you don't remember, but many of those dreams are actually forecasts of future events.

So when you actually experience/observe these events....they "come back" to you as having experienced/observed them before but don't remember when.

On the subject of psychics and astrologists, I make a distinction between the 2.  Clairvoyants are self-proclaimed.  Anybody can say they're psychic. To me, these people fall under the paranormal heading.  It's no secret that, as a last resort, stumped police forces often call on psychics for help.  But I don't think psychics have that great of a track record or we would hear more about the successes of their hunches and inklings and visions.

Astrology is more scientific and it's not that uncommon for people in high places to be influenced by the alignment of the stars when making decisions or launching actions.  I remember reading that the generals in charge of the D-Day offensive mounted during World War II, chose a date that coincided with a favorable position of the stars. 

I take psychics, seances and taro readings, etc. with a grain of salt.  But I tend to believe that the stars and planets can influence events. 

After posting the above response, I noticed that an ad popped up coaxing people to check out the concept of "quantum jumping".  My interest was immediatly piqued. When I followed the link, an elaboration followed.   Disciples of "quantum jumping" are convinced that we are multi-faceted and have selves that exist in parallel universes, and that we can become successful in any area if we can become aligned with the self that is special in that field. All we need do is to learn the technique that allows you to shift into the world where you are what you want to be.... 

I've heard this before and I find it plausible.      

• Like 1

I've heard this before and I find it plausible.

Yeah, you heard it from ME when I was discussing parallel universes a few months ago and how various decisions could theoretically produce different outcomes.

The combinations are almost infinite.

But, I guess now that you know Pioneer entertains such theories you'll probably refute and repudiate the entire concept....lol.

I have been hearing about and believing in the possibility of parallel universes for years.  It's a popular topic in the alternative fiction genre. Referring to this concept as "quantum jumping" is what's new to me. 

Anything having to do with quantum and meta-physics immediately interests me and I am especially fascinated with  their "now-you-see-it, now-you-don't" claims wherein your eyes integrate objects that disintegrate when you look away. 

"Being all that you can be" is a universal goal and the idea that quantum jumping is a way to achieve this is very compelling.