HICKSON: CEO OF GHETTOHEAT® IS ON INSTAGRAM!

YET ANOTHER BACKHAND COMPLIMENT FROM TROY JOHNSON! "AUGGGH!!!" :0) LOL! TROY, DID YOU SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN, AS I HAVE CURRENT & BABY PICS OF ME, SHOWING THE MANIFESTATION OF THE HICKSON? LOL! THERE ARE ALSO MANY 15-SECOND CLIPS OF ME IN MY MOST INTIMATE MOMENTS: SEE AGAIN!

10 MINUTES OF SOCIAL MEDIA PER DAY? YOU NEED TO HIRE ME AS AS THAT'S NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH TIME TO PROMOTE! TROY, IT TAKES ME AT LEAST 3 TO 5 HOURS A DAY TO REPLY BACK TO MY FOLLOWING, WHICH I DO SO BEFORE EVEN DOING MY GHETTOHEAT DUTIES: THE HICKSON WORKING 12 - 20 PER DAY, SOMETIMES 36 HOURS STRAIGHT: NO STAFF, NO ASSISTANT, NO INTERN, NO STREET TEAM: JUST HICKSON, & THE FATHER, THE SON & THE HOLY GHOST....

THIS IS THE NEW WORLD ORDER OF BOOK PUBLISHING! THIS IS WHAT'S REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN VISIBILITY & THE LEVEL THAT I NEED TO BE AT: & I'M NOWHERE NEAR WHERE I'M HEADED, YET A LONG WAY FROM WHEN I HANDED YOU MY POETRY BOOK, GHETTOHEAT IN 2003.... :0)

• Like 1

Yes it was a compliment and a dig too.  You do have a lot of photos of yourself man.

I hear you on the hours man 16 hours a day is not unusual for me. In fact the last couple of months I've been putting in 12 to 16 hours regularly every day, a day off here and there, but pretty much grindin' all day. 

I don't go around the clock -- I can't really focus without rest. 

I use to put in 2 to 3 hours of time on social media.  I found; (1) I don't enjoy it very much (2) the investment is time was taking away from my actual life.  You see I still have to do everything I always did with AALBC.com before before the rise of social media -- heck even more.  So the social media time expenditure was not worth the trade off to me.

I also have a philosophical aversion to social media as well.  You see they are making money off everyone who participates with out sharing in the wealth. While at the same time making it even more difficult for indie sites to survive, due to the competition. 

So I've opted out -- using social media solely to promote AALBC.com, and most of the time I can do that remotely without even opening up Facebook.

Yeah it has been a long time since we met, seems like it was prior to 2003 -- but you would know better. 

HI TROY! LOL! IT'S ALWAYS LOVE! :0) YES, I FIND MYSELF ON SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORKS MORE THAN EVER PROMOTING, YET DISCOVERED FAST THAT THIS IS THE NEW WAY OF PROMOTING & CONNECTING: AS MANY STORES HAVE CLOSED & MORE WILL BE CLOSING SOON & IN LARGE NUMBERS--HENCE THE ANNOUNCEMENT BARNES & NOBLE MADE A FEW MONTHS AGO.... SO, ALL WILL BE ONLINE, & IF ONE DOESN'T HAVE A STRONG ONLINE PRESENCE, ONE WON'T SURVIVE! THERE ARE MANY AUTHORS, & PUBLISHERS FOR THAT MATTER WHO CARE NOT TO ENTERTAIN SOCIAL MEDIA! MANY WRITERS WANT TO SOLELY FOCUS ON CRAFTING WORKS: THAT'S GREAT--BUT IF NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT YOU OR THE BOOK YOU PREFERRED CRAFTING OPPOSE TO BEING ONLINE, THAN HOW WILL ONE GAIN A FOLLOWING FOR SALES?

UNLESS ONE CAN HAVE SOMEONE DO ALL THEIR PROMOTION FOR THEM: HENCE GHETTOHEAT® ONLINE PROMOTIONAL SERVICES! :0) I JUST STARTED PROMOTING CLIENTS OUTSIDE OF MY OWN & IT'S AIDING OTHERS IN GETTING EXPOSURE, YET IF ONE ISN'T SELLING BOOKS TO EVEN HIRE ME (DUE TO NOT BEING ONLINE PRIOR & TOURS THEIR BOOKS), THAN HOW CAN THEY AFFORD MY SERVICES? LOL! SMH... 

Agreed on all your points Hickson but my perspective if a but different:.  

• Social is a way of promoting and connecting  -- I just happen to have gotten the process down to a couple a few minutes a day rather than several hours.
  • If you don't have strong online presence you won't survive -- I just believe we, especially as Black people, have to invest in our OWN properties those who use social as their main platform are making a mistake from my perspective.  Use social to drive traffic to your site.

I never believed online should, or even could, replace the physical experience.  The online is a terrific supplement or compliment, but not a replacement -- this coming from someone who makes their livelihood online.

Hickson, the vast majority of new authors will never generate enough sales to afford your service -- or even mine -- based upon book sales alone.  There is a great deal of competition, a glut even, of books.  The only way to raise above the noise is to spend the money on promotion, before a single book is ever sold. 

This investment is not one that many author can afford or are unwilling to make.  Sure social media can potentially make up for a lack of financial resources for advertising, but most authors don't have the time or technical expertise to take advantage of social media.

Further as social media focuses more on revenue generation the ability for one to benefit from social media will be based upon their ability to afford to by and ad (ie. "promoted" Tweets, Post or now Pins). 

Hickson, I think the business of publishing is going through some very, very profound changes.  As you pointed out we are losing physical platforms left and right the ability to use these channels to sells books are drying up.

Black folks suffer the most. Since I started my website we have lost HUNDREDS or Black owned store -- but just importantly, we have lost scores of Black book websites!

While social is certainly a tool we should utilize, collectively, investment in social is not the answer long term answer for us.

• 1 year later...

I CAN ONLY SPEAK FROM MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE! :0) SOCIAL MEDIA IS MOST DEFINITELY WORKIN' FOR ME! WHY? BECAUSE I'M FULLY ENGAGED WITH MY SUPPORTERS WHO KNOW I INVEST IN THEM WHEN INVESTIN' IN MYSELF. THIS IS WHY MY BASE HAS GROWN QUICKLY! NOT ONLY THAT, I SHARE GREATLY WITH MY PEOPLE & THEY LOVE & FEEL MY ENERGY, OPPOSE TO JUST LEAVING GENERIC POSTS/PROMOS, ETC. THEY SUPPORT ME BECAUSE OF SUCH. YET, WE MUST HAVE OUR OWN PROPERTIES, BUT AGAIN, SOCIAL MEDIA, "IN MY OPINION", :0) IS THE WAY TO GO: IT'S A DIFFERENT TIME....

ALL WILL BE ONLINE SOON: THERE WILL BE NO STORES.... YOU CAN'T PHYSICALLY APPEAR TO DO EVENTS/SIGNINGS AT STORES THAT ARE OUT OF BUSINESS: MANY HAVE FOLDED SINCE 2009.... YOU ALSO CAN'T BE AT TWO PLACES AT ONCE OR EASILY TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD PHYSICALLY: YET I DO DAILY WITH SOCIAL MEDIA! TROY, THE REASON I SPEND HOURS ON SOCIAL MEDIA, IS BECAUSE I'VE GOTTEN MANY ORDERS THIS WAY! :0) ARE YOU WATCHING GHETTOHEAT TV??? :0) IT'S NOW ON 7 NETWORKS!

#GHETTOHEATSALUTE