American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs

NYC PREMIERE What does it mean to be an American revolutionary today? Grace Lee Boggs is a 98-year-old Chinese-American woman in Detroit whose vision of revolution may surprise you. A writer, activist, and philosopher rooted for more than 70 years in the African- American movement, she has devoted her life to an evolving revolution that encompasses the contradictions of America’s past and its potentially radical future.

A remarkable woman.  I couldn't help but wonder why she allied herself with black people as opposed to Chinese ones who also have a long history of being subjected to racism in America.  I can only conclude that she decided Blacks were who needed help the most because the Chinese are self-sufficient. The black race attracts activist humanitarians because it is where so many ills and woes reside.  Its chronic afflictions, of which self destruction is a symptom, are a challenge for do-gooders who want to heal the world 

I like what Ms. Boggs said about not getting "bogged" down in old ideas.  I wonder if she has any new ideas as to how African-Americans can cope with racism since the Civil Rights movement failed to dislodge it.  I suspect she would focus on the word "cope" because eliminating racism is not an option.  Racism is apparently a natural phenomenon that, like a virus, goes into remission and then a mutated version of it returns. 

• Like 1