North's Daddy

Kanye West is a magnet for controversy.  Love him or hate him, he bears watching because he epitomizes the excess and egoism that genius and success can give rise to.  Here's a link to an article entitled: "Kanye's Frantz Fanon complex". I thought this article by Jessica Ann Mitchell was interesting.

"I recently wrote an article called, “Harry Belafonte Was Right About Jay-Z.” The article went viral, generating a huge response from the Black community and beyond.  A few readers were puzzled when I stated, “Kanye West…often laments about racism but strives to uphold the same materialistic values that help drive economic disparities.” Now, I will explore this more thoroughly.

There is no denying that Kanye West has had a tremendous impact on the music industry and pop culture. From the beginning of his mainstream career, Kanye has been critical of issues dealing with racism and the structures within it. His infamous, “George Bush doesn’t care about Black people,” statement caused a media frenzy and solidified the general sentiments of the Black community during the Hurricane Katrina tragedy."

Read the full article: http://ourlegaci.com/2013/12/02/kanyes-frantz-fanon-complex/

Kanya in a recent interview compared himself to Nelson Mandel and proclaims himself to be the next  Mandela.  This fool is definitely suffering from delusions of grandeur. I don't think any figure in the entertainment industry is as egomanical as this lap dog of Kim Kardashian. If Kanye compares himself to anybody it should be Muhammad Ali, who was a loud boastful buffoon in his hey day.  Now he's a disabled old man who inspires as much pity as he does admiration. A similar fate may await West whose self absorption may eventually have a crippling effect on him.

Cynique, from what I can tell this is a fake story.

From Wikipedia to Facebook, an alarming amount of what we read on-line is simply wrong.  Lies always spread more quickly than truth, but on-line the effects are hyper-exaggerated. For Kayne the controversy fuels his fame, for the rest of us, God only knows....

Below one of the various versions of what Kanye was reported as saying: 

In an interview with WGCI radio in Chicago, the notoriously self-promoting rapper said that yesterday's death of the 95-year-old South African leader will finally allow people to focus more of their attention on West's own accomplishments.

West was asked who he thought on the world stage today could possibly replace Nelson Mandela in terms of leadership, and his unconventional answer left heads spinning.

"I am the next Nelson Mandela," West responded. "I'm only 36 years old, and when I look at everything I've accomplished, it's the only comparison that makes any sense. By the time I'm 95, I'm going to be a bigger hero than he ever was.

"Nelson Mandela did a lot of good work, don't get me wrong. But I think I'm on track to do something even bigger. I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever.

"Not to say Mandela wasn't for real. I have mad respect. I just think we need to keep things in perspective here. Anyone can be replaced. And I think I'm well on my way towards being the next great black leader. I'm already worshiped around the world. And there's more to come."

"I've blazed a trail with my career," West responded. "I faced immeasurable racism when I entered this profession. I mean how many black rappers can you name that came before me? I was a pioneer. And now I'm doing the same thing in the fashion world.

"Not to mention I have a bigger market than he ever did. Mandela was working in South Africa, which has, like what, six people? I started my magic here in the USA and then I took my business global. Worldwide baby.

"I just want everyone out there to know. I see y'all crying on the TV. Being all sad. Just know that Kanye's gonna carry on Mandela's legacy. There's nothing to worry about. I got this."

Are you saying that somebody actually went through all the trouble of falsifying  this long, detailed account with quotes attributed to Kanye, and then circulated it on the internet????  Where are Kanye's indignant denials about these "lies"? If the reports are true and he thinks that proclaiming himself as the next Mandela will endear him to black people, then he is, if not totally deluded, at least misguided. and he deserves all the negative publicity. 

My problem with Kanye is his preoccupation with bling. It just reinforces the shallowness of young blacks who are as much damaged by materialism as they are by racism.  And he may be a superstar to the current hip-hop community but to others he's just another foul mouth rapper.  His peers, incidently, didn't think enough of his current work to nominate him for a major Grammy award this year. 

Yes,  show biz reeks with BS and rumors but the difference between Kanye West and a star like Miley Cyrus is that everything she does is tongue-in-cheek.  She has mastered the ploy of generating publicity by projecting a caricature of youthful rebellion.  Kanye, on the other hand, takes himself much too seriously and rather than becoming more famous, is gradually becoming infamous for his need for adulation and validation. He makes it easy to believe all the allegations of boasting.

As for making a claim to Mandel's "throne",  West has done very little to advance the black race.  As a role model and paragon of black manhood, he falls short.  He comes across as a vain, petulant status seeker, whose choice in women is exemplified by the superficial object of ridicule who is his baby momma. Kanye West as the heir apparent of Nelson Madela? Puleeze. 

Yes someone made this all up.  It happens all the time.

The only reason I discovered it was fake was that I tried to find the source I could not.  Eventually I came across Kayne's denial:

"Despite recent media reports, I've never said anything to dishonor or trivialize the life or transition of one of the most inspiring leaders--KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) (December 9, 2013)

As outrageous the statements were, coming from a Kanye West it sounds perfectly plausible as something he would say.  But since we have children at the controls and journalist greeting us at Walmart "legitimate" news sources picks this crap up and it goes viral.  Of course the social media further compounds the situation, so much so that the truth gets drowned out (not that anyone cares about the truth).

Everyone in their haste to be the first to share, and garner the fleeting, but lucrative surge in traffic posts the information without vetting it.  Even when they are wrong the just say, "oops" and we forget all about it.

This is one example of my strongest critiques of how the net has changed adversely.  

It has gotten to the point that I really don't believe anything I find on-line unless it is coming directly from the source. 

OK.  SNOPES says:The article was originally published on a satirical website called The Daily Currant, whose disclaimer reads: "Our stories are purely fictional."  WGCI is a Chicago-based urban radio station.  I should've been suspicious when no media outlets in Chicago mentioned this article. 

Obviously I am not a big fan of Kanye so I ponce on any example of his rabid conceit.  I don't know who to blame for this. The people who spread the lies about Kanye, or Kanye for making the negative rumors so easy to believe.  This also raises the question as to whether we can trust all the internet reports about white racism,  - and black heroism.  Bottom line: people believe what they want to believe. But when it come to internet releases,  it behooves all of us to consider the source.  

Cynique it can all be part of the same game.  Kayne's celebrity and that of his baby's mama is not an accident, it is orchestrated; there is a machine, behind it.  I would not be surprised, in the least, if this latest Kayne rumor was planned as well--turning Mandela' death into a publicity stunt. 

I'm I "out cynnicing" the cynic here?

I'm not a fan of Kanye's either, but to me this is one of those instances where I don't hate the player, I hate the game. 

He  should also listen to his own lyrics