JET Magazine Caters to Youth with Kendrick Lamar on Black History issue

Kendrick-Lamar.jpg

Kendrick Lamar Ushers in a New Audience for JET Magazine

Hip-Hop’s new super star covers annual Black History issue

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CHICAGO, Ill. (January 24, 2013) — Award season is in full swing. In celebration of the new direction, JET magazine breaks with tradition to feature the young, talented and critically acclaimed rap artist Kendrick Lamar — who has seven Grammy nominations for his latest album Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City — on the cover for the Black History issue.

“I always seen [JET magazine] every time I walked into the house,” said Lamar.  “It was always there.  So I already knew that it had to hold some type of weight.  Being a young cat, I had to know, since this magazine is right here all the time, it must be a powerful magazine. So it’s a privilege just to be a part of it, and for Black History Month, it’s a beautiful thing.”

The artist, renowned for delivering thought-provoking lyrics that center around social issues, shares the ways in which his passionate storytelling is impacting lives. In JET magazine’s exclusive interview, the hip-hop star reveals everything from his social responsibility to why the music industry needs more than good hooks and catchy tracks.

“Hip-hop plays a huge part in Black history,” says Lamar.  “It’s bigger than music.  Entertainers are actually leading a generation today as role models, whether they want to or not.”

Acknowledging that his fans are deeply influenced by what he says, Lamar also discusses being conscious of the messages he delivers in his music.

“The songs aren’t for me,” he says.  “They are for that person who needs to hear them. People who live their lives to this music. So I take it a little further than just coming up with a clever line.”

Additionally, the rapper opens up about the array of Black men — including iconic figures such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and those closer to home, such as his father — who molded his character.

“My earliest role model is my father, then my uncles Lil Man and Bobby,” Lamar shared.  “These are the cats who I felt handled their business and took care of their family.”

He also talks about how hip-hop’s business savvy moguls have chiseled his ambition.

“People forget that Jay Z is from the projects – but that inspires me,” continued Lamar.  “If this guy can go from the streets to the corporate world, that lets me know I’m open for anything.”

Readers can read the article in its entirety and more in the February 17issue of JET magazine, on newsstands January 27.

-###-