Sign in to follow this  
Troy

Prestigious Private School Reinforces Negative Black Stereotypes

Dalton School Apologizes for Screening Slavery Satire
By JAVIER C. HERNÁNDEZJAN. 30, 2014

The Dalton School, one of New York City’s most prestigious private schools, has apologized after screening a satirical movie about a world in which the South won the Civil War.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQNOAGlnG9g

csa.jpg

The film above was screened at a mostly white, most wealthy school in NY City's tony upper east side.  Apparently the film was screened as a educational tool.  I'm sure some white guy, completely obvious and insensitive to how the film would might be perceived, thought the film was funny and decided to share it with his peeps (students).

The school is also the subject of a documentary film that follows two Black boys from kindergarten through 12th grade at the school.

The entire film can be watched via Apple TV (the PBS station) or on line here.  I found this film a bit long and a little frustrating to watch, simply because I'm just tired of hearing about these issue in 2014 when the problem is so damn obvious. 

One young man was not allowed to continue. Both were diagnosed with "learning disabilities." 

Maybe I'm a prude, but there was a scene in this film where two couples, all teenage students, were in bed with each other, apparently clothed, but under the covers.  I found that scene troubling. 

Someone I know suggested that they should make a satirical documentary in which the native American slaughtered every European who set foot on these shores then show it in a predominately Black High school.

Satire is a very keen blade in an arena where the pen can be mightier than the sword.  ;)

• Like 1

I actually watched the film, but the point was lost on me.  Satire generally offers social commentary usually in a humorous manner. This film did not accomplish the task.

Steven Barnes wrote a book, Lions's Blood, in which the South was colonized by black Africans, and the North by Vikings, who sell abducted Celts and Franks to the Southerners.

steven6.jpg

Thumper reviewed the book