Plug in to this

I may have writer's block when it comes to posting here, but I am busily involved in putting the finishing touches on a manuscript I want to publish primarily as an e-book.  Talk about writing being re-writing.  The latest version of this story bears little resemblence to the original which I posted here a couple of year ago.  Even the characters' names have been changed.  All the revisions have been necessary because the first version of this book was written almost 15 years ago and things have so radically changed since then.  And that includes me and my atttudes. The original story ended up just being a blueprint for the final draft which I have taken great pains to make current. 

Because this book is about relationships, certain TV programs have inadvertantly turned out to be references for me.  From time to time, I check in with 2 shows that are  relevant  for my purposes; one of these is hosted by Steve Harvey and the other by Bethenny Frankel.  Steve, in all of his buck-eyed, Ebonic-speaking expertise continues to harp on what it takes to turn a man into the whipped, henpecked one he's become.  He always pussying footin around like he' s hopin his wife ain't watching the show in case he says something she won't approve of and punishes his dufus ass.   

Bethenny is a feisty, rail thin white girl who I believe is a fugitive from one of those house wife reality smack-downs.  Her show has become an arena for debate between the mostly female audience and the rotating panels of horny buffoons chosen to represent the male point of view, discussions she mediates in the strident piercing voice so prevalent among her type.  (Maybe that's why Tameron Hall was promoted to a Today Show anchor, since a perpetual wild-eyed grin and a cackling laugh accompany every vapid observation she utters as a nasal parody of her white counterparts. )  But I digress.  

What the Steve and Bethenny shows have done for me is to confirm how ongoing is the friction between  males and females when it comes to the mating game.( Maury's show is more typical than we like to admit.)

What is a tad surprising to me, however,  is how the spines of men appear to be eroding.  They seem to be utterly confused  and wimpish when it comes the demands of women looking for somebody to sooner or later have sex with.   Women also come across as clueless when evaluating themselves and what they bring to the table.  No wonder finding someone to be compatible with is such a challenging mission.  But the chase can be an interesting exercise in the pursuit of The Only One which is both the theme and title of my upcoming e-book. ;)

Wow!  I'm sure it will be an interesting read Cynique--better than the first. 

Funny though I don't have a clue what you are talking about regarding the people or the shows.  I have heard of Steve Harvey, of course, but I have never seen his show.  I have seen Maury's show (I think) wasn't;t he the one doing that paternity tests: "(fill in the name) you are the father!"  That that was a long time ago.  Is he still on?

Yes, Troy, Steve Harvey has a daily afternoon talk show that originates in Chicago.  He seems to have inherited Oprah's audience which is made up almost exclusively of women, about evenly divided between black and white ones. They LOVE him and all of his home spun advice.  He's  like a modern day Uncle Remus. 

Yes, Maury's show is still on and has not changed its format one iota in 10 years.  It seems people never tire of finding  whether or not Tyrone is LeQuisha's baby daddy. 

Bethenny's show is just something I stumbled across while channel surfing.  The appeal of these shows to me is the opportunity they provide for me to observe everyday people uncut and unrehearsed in action.  This common fare provides a contrast to my other choice, The Science channel and its exploration of time and space and  the mysteries of the unverse. 

I also reguarly check out the the Investigation Discovery (ID) channel that dramatizes true crime stories.  I find it interesting because it, too, is about real life.  Everyday folks are steady killing each other, mostly to collect on big buck insurance policies and hook up with the new and younger lovers who've they've been having  intense affairs with. Actually, these folks aren't exactly everyday ones.  Most of them are either psychopaths or sociopaths and the unsuspecting people they victimize.  

Obviously, I find this fare more riveting than how Google, FaceBook, Wikipedia and Amazon are exploiting us dumb consumers.    :o   ;)

• Like 1

LOL!  I know, I know, no one want to read that stuff.  Honestly I'm tried of trying to explain it and will probably eventually go back to focusing on myself -- besides it is the American anyway.  Though I will share another

Also, are you following the recent discovery in cosmology?  Described as the greatest scientific discover... ever!  Discover of the Higgs Boson pales in comparison.

I'm jumping in on this one. I have heard about the Big Bang being verified as actual truth instead of just hypothesis. The Higgs Boson, believe it or not I really hadn't followed until I read Dan Brown's Angel and Demons. Of course I had heard about it a while back, but it didn't get my attention until that book came out. The idea of the God particle is amazing to me, but this recent Big Bang discovery is incredible and will probably push the bible thumpers to the extreme in their battle for Genesis.

Cynique, congratulations on knocking out that rewrite. It's interesting that you will only do it as an e-book. It doesn't cost anything to make it a paperback also, so you might as well go for that. I don't watch either of those shows, but I know for a fact that these single folks out here are losing their damn minds, spines and behinds. I have a cousin in law. A big country, thug looking dude who takes selfies of himself crying! It drives me nuts. Dudes out here asking women, "Write down what it is you're looking for in a man, and I'll be that."  I mean, dudes don't have any 'game' or self esteem anymore. It's hard to watch.

• Like 2

Jump in on these exchanges anytime, CDBurns.  You always have very interesting input.  I am planning to have a short run of paperback copies of my book.  Actually, the plot of the book remains the same but I have just tightened it up.  I am basically a story teller, and I tried to make my narrative voice more concise, and intimate and hip.  I really believe that the selling point of this book would a curiosity about how an 80 year old woman handles contemporary fare.  I am tempted to use a pen name because I think my children and grandchildren might be embarrassed by some of the things I write. Ironically a lot of my impressions about  current generations come from them and their friends, and from live TV shows, not to mention my own contacts and interactions.  Anyhow, as they say,  if you don't use it, you lose it, so this book is also an exercise in staving off dementia by stimulating my mind and imagination.

How did I miss hearing about this new discovery that surpasses Higgs Boson, Troy?  This stuff is so mind boggling that even if I do hear about it, it will probably still boggle my mind. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cynique, sorry I missed explaining what the discovery is.  Hey Del it was actually such big news I thought everyone was aware of it.  Maybe it did not quite as much press as the Higgs Particle, but The Theory of Inflation by most accounts is one of the most profound discoveries in the history of cosmology.  It will likely earn Andrei Linde, the founder of Inflation, a Nobel Prize. 

Astronomers have found evidence to support the Theory of Inflation which explains how the universe expanded so uniformly and faster that the speed, one light one trillion, trillion, trillionth of a second after the Big Bang almost 14 billion years ago.    I don't pretend to understand any of this but the cats who do seem to think it is a big deal.