Why Every Black Woman Should Marry a Jewish Man

http://aalbc.com/tc/index.php?/topic/2587-plug-in-to-this/?p=10802.  I've been spending quite a bit of time, energy and even money trying to promote other business that promote and uplift Black people. 

This has been an UPHILL battle.  Remarkably I've gotten more resistance than support.  If I can't make anymore progress than I have in 2014.  I think I will just join the fray; tell everyone to visit me on Facebook and start promoting books like, Why Every Black Woman Should Marry a Jewish Man.

I post books information on Facebook almost daily.  It takes a few seconds and brings a handful of people to the site, so I do it.  Of course, all of positive stuff generates very little interest.

But as soon as I start sharing information about something dumb, like this book (just my opinion), people start sharing, making comments and even questioning my commitment to Black folks.  The cash register is ringing!

Of course Facebook knows a winner, they see what up and prompted me to buy an advertisement to spread the "good news" more widely.  My Why Every Black Woman Should Marry a Jewish Man post was performing better that 95% of all my other posts!

sample%20facebook-ad%20solicitation.jpg

It is SO much easier to promote this stuff.  Sometimes I ask my self why don't I stop struggling and promote the stuff people ACTUALLY want to engage.

People love controversy, they love negativity, they love scandal, they love stupidity, mix in a celebrity or two and you have a profitable business.  I'm not just saying this--I have 17 years worth of data to support it.

Sorry this had nothing to do with Jewish men scooping up the sistas.  But I will leave you with one quote from Facebook:

"The only people responsible for the disrespect of black men, is black men. Pants sagging, video game playing, 5 baby mama having, 40 drinking thugs. No thanks, duvorced [sic] my black husband in 2003, exclusively been w white men since and they treat me like a Queen."

You go girl!

Peace,

Troy

Troy I know for a fact that is why I never "Blew up". When I got my first agent, it was right out of the MFA program. Renee Swindle had capitalized on the sista girl fiction and since she had come out of San Diego State everyone thought I was next in line to be the new Eric Jerome Dickey or Omar Tyree. Everything was great until my agent actually read the novels I'd written. Although they started like those writer's books, the evolved into very serious texts. I had an offer from a publisher and my agent told me to change the ending of my book. I refused because I said it would change the whole idea of the novel. I lost the little deal she had worked out. She told me to start writing a street lit novel and I refused. She basically told me she couldn't represent me if I wasn't interested in making money first.

That was over ten years ago. This feedback on Facebook is incredible. The ability to move people from Facebook is a losing battle. I had a lady (bible thumper) who confronted me on a thread today about Scandal. She said it was the most immoral show in the history of television. That's why she can't watch it. Another guy said it doesn't do anything for his soul. I'm thinking to myself, it's effing TV!!!!!!!! I tell her that while it's hard to see a sister throw herself at a married White president, the show isn't bad at all. I also state that if you analyze that it's written by a black woman and has a black female lead, simply stated the show is ground breaking and is creating more opportunities for Black women in Hollywood. You have Taraji on Person of Interest, beherre on Sleepy Hollow and Scandal has allowed Gabrielle Union to have her own show albeit not on a major network, but Scandal is important and it's good.

I'm rambling, but you know what I mean. We are breaking our necks to get people to move away and it's just a struggle that is falling flat. In the terms of the 5% we are basically the 5% that understand what is happening and there is 10% that is aware, but lost in the jungle and the 85% are deaf, dumb and blind.

• Like 2

Yeah CD, many writers, including the most successful, write to a formula.  They do parts two, three four, and then we also have to content with all the copy cats.  The entire romance genre is formula driven.  This is just how the industry works -- especially for us.

The problem with all this sequels and copy cats is that it crowds out creativity and diversity. So when the first sista-girl novel hit we had to deal with several years of that.  When street-lit started poppin' we had to deal with years of it almost to the exclusion of everything else.  Again white folks have much more variety coming our of mainstream publishing.

Sure self-published authors publish a variety of titles, but it is almost impossible for these books to find an audience as very few of them have any real money for advertising or promotion.

Foreign born Black writers seems to be big right about now.  They cross over more readily than Black American writers and are reviewed more frequently. 

Here is another comment about this book (sort of)

"We were not aware this was just a money making venture, we love and read books and have book clubs of our own of which we buy all together from one source. If you want to make money and also black writers, send out a few FB posts highlighting recommendations for Book Clubs."

Funny people have no problem if Facebook makes money. I'm also not sure why this person believe I don't share information about books that would be appropriate for book clubs.

That's crazy. I had a dialogue on Facebook yesterday like I said and I told the person to join me on my website. She no longer responded after she wrote I decline to join your site. Black empowerment is an illusion beyond the realm of the people who realize how Facebook has impacted unique visitors. As far as the book clubs, there was once a time when you had a list of every book club in the world it seemed. People could use your site to click through to sites and try to create relationships. Having that as an option was good, although by the time I decided to use it all of the book clubs where charging to read self published books.

I've stopped posting on Facebook considerably outside of random Happy Birthday posts and basketball stuff. No one has noticed, which is very telling. My website traffic only spikes when I write a story about a local eatery or business. That is because I use social sharing buttons and forward it to twitter and Facebook. The funny thing about that is people are sharing the stuff and not reading what I wrote. I actually did a poor review of a restaurant and they shared it and liked it! Talk about insane...

I can see why the women loving Jewish dudes wrote the book, that's how you win. As far as the foreign writer thing, that has always been the trend. Writers from outside of the US are always taken more seriously.

I think I'm going to try an experiment. I've never really promoted any of my books outside of random drops on your site. I'm going to write out a business plan for the promotion of one of my books or all of my books. I'm going to put some serious money into it marketing through AALBC, Google Ads, Facebook Ads and Amazon Ads. I will leave my Facebook page with the black banner and only respond through CB Publish. I'll create sticky blog posts for my books and place them on the homepage. As a matter of fact I think I will work on a static page right now for the books. Something has to give.

CD which book will you promote?  I would like to read if.

I would also like to help you with the marketing strategy -- at least the online component.  Maybe put a few heads a few heads together to think about a strategy that leverages what we can do collectively.  Hit me up troy@aalbc.com

I will write you when I'm ready to get started. I have to finish up this Kickstarter campaign first which is actually a very daunting task since the product was paid for by the masses. More than likely the book will be Archie's Psalm since it is unlike anything else out there. I will e-mail you to begin the strategy, but it won't be for another few months.

OK Chris.

There was one interesting post on Facebook regarding this book.  This is an excerpt.  The kinda of thing that used to be posted here, back in the date :-)

SHIP%20SLAVERY.jpg

The published documentation contained herein was obtained from the Carnegie Institute of Learning, presently known as "The Carnegie Institute of Technology."

The following is a partial of the slave ships owned by Jews:

'Abigail' by Aaron Lopez.

Moses Levy and Jacob Franks.

'Crown' by Isaac Levy and Nathan Simpson.

'Nassau'by Moses Levy.

'Four Sisters' by Moses Levy.

'Anne & Eliza' by Justus Bosch and John Abrams.

'Prudent Betty' by Henry Cruger and Jacob Phoenix.

'Hester' by Mordecai and David Gomez.

'Elizabeth' by David and Mordecai Gomez.

'Antigua' by Nathan Marston and Abram Lyell.

'Betsy'by Wm. DeWoolf.

'PoUy'by James DeWoolf.

'White Horse' by Jan de Sweevts.

'Expedition' by John and Jacob Rosevelt.

'Charlotte' by Moses and Sam Levy and Jacob Franks.

'Caracoa' by Moses and Sam Levy.

Slave-runners, also owned by Jews were the 'La Fortuna', the 'Hannah', the 'Sally', and the 'Venue'.

Some of the Jews of Newport and Charleston who were engaged in the distillery or slavery trade, or both, were: Isaac Gomez, Hayman Levy, Jacob Malhado, Naphtaly Myers, David Hart, Joseph Jacobs, Moses Ben Franks, Moses Gomez, Isaac Dias, Benjamin Levy, David Jeshuvum, Jacob Pinto, Jacob Turk, Daniel Gomez, James Lucana, Jan de Sweevts, Felix (cha-cha) de Souza (known as the 'Prince of Slavers' and second only to Aaron Lopez), Simeon Potter, Isaac Elizer, Jacob Rod, Jacol) Itodrigues Rivera, Haym Isaac Carregal, Abraham Touro, Moses Hays, Moses Lopez, Judah Touro, Abrtham Mendes and Abraham All.

Of some 600 ships leaving the port of Newport, more than 300 were engaged in the slave trade. A typical cargo of one ship, 'La Fortuna', was 217 slaves which cost about $4,300 and sold for $41,438.00.

Only about 10% of the slave ship captains were Jews, not wanting to subject themselves to the rigors of the 6-month journey. They preferred to stay at home and continue their distillery operations which continued to supply rum and whiskey to the Indians for many years at a very great profit.

REFERENCES DOCUMENTATION

Elizabeth Donnan, 4 Vols. Documents Illustrative of the History of the Slave Trade to America, Washington, D.C., 1930-1935.

"Carnegie Institute of Technology," Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Adventures of an African Slaver, by Malcolm Cowley, 1928. Published by Albert and Charles Bori, New York.

The Story of the Jews in Newport, by Rabbi Morris A. Gutstein.

The Jew Discovem America, by Cthmar Krainz.

The International Jew, by Henry Ford.

The Plot Against the Church, by Maurice Pinay.

Protocol for World Conquest, 1956, by The Central Conference of American Rabbis.

Behind Communism, by Frank L. Britton

Having a Jewish husband is not something I'd get excited about. Were I young and single, I'd still hold out in hopes of finding a good black man.   

Way back in th day, I would always hear that Jewish men liked black women - to have on the side.  When I attended the University of Illinois back in the early 1950s, there was a very substantial communityof  New York Jews among the student body, the reason being, as one of my female Jewish dormmates told me, was that it was much cheaper for their parents to send them to a top notch Big 10 school than a private Eastern college.  Anyway, the singular goal of these Jewish princesses was to marry doctors or lawyers and live comfortable lives.  I encounered Jewish males in my classes.  They always had twinkles in their eyes, which I now think was a sign that they and their kosher brand of soul liked the possibilities black women represented. Back then black women never thought of white men in terms of marriage.   It just wasn't likely.  The high school I went to was overwhelmingly white, and I had a little thing for the Italians guys.  Mostly because, in addition to being good looking, they were not unlike black ones. They had swag and bluster weren't that racially-prejudiced.   

Also back then when I started working at the Post Office, I had a chance to compare black guys and white guys. To me, Brothas could talk it, but they couldn't walk it. White guys didn't have as much style but they had substance.  But they all shared a common "desire", and color wasn't that big of a factor when it came to who was good or bad in bed.  Or so I was told. ;)  

While I'm lingering back in the day, I can also compare how things were before TV came on the scene. Black women have always liked to gossip and speculate about what was going on in the lives of their acquaintances, and there was plenty of grist for this mill because somebody was always sneaking around with somebody, and so-and so was going with so-and so, and he said, and she said. When television came on the scene, soap operas soon followed. Soon a TV screen became a neighbor's window, providing an opportunity to eavesdrop on the private worlds of dysfunctional people.  I was always amazed at hearing black women discuss the characters on "their stories" as soap operas were called. They were totally wrapped up in these daily offering, seemingly unable to distinguish fiction from reality. Now we have all these night time soap operas and reality show drama queens, all of which continue to captivate their female viewers, particularly black ones  Why read a book, or seek out intellectual stimulation when it's so easy to just press the "power" button on your remote and escape into a world of sex and intrigue?  Of course, if you can find a book to duplicate this simplistic experience, then that can work, too. 

Enter FaceBook, where people can create their own drama, write their own dialogue, star on their own stage; a platform where they can rant and vent without being held accountable. A lot of this is undoubtedly about escaping the hum-drum existence of a pay-check-to-pay-check life.  And it's a situation that's just begging to be exploited, because it gives the people what they want. And so it goes: life in the 21st century. Many have expressed the opinion that the downfall of black folks stems from their undisciplined pursuit of what they want, instead of what they need.  Whatever. :huh:

• Like 1

Now that was a carefully drawn analysis of this whole situation. In regard to the Jews and slave trade, I would be surprised by who wasn't involved in the slave trade. If we create a discussion for marriage based on the cultures that didn't trade slaves then we would be back to square one marrying ourselves, but even then we all know about the slave trade on the West Coast of Africa and how it was our own betrayal in many instances. I'm saying this to state that basing marriage on how we were treated by people is very shaky, unless the intent is to show the importance of promoting Black empowerment.

Cynique your insight might be better spent developing a book on self reflection. Your writing here has a personal voice that delivers both entertainment and personal history that feels genuine. (That is if you aren't working on one already.)

I think your insight that Facebook allows for a daily soap opera written out by its users is the best description of the service that I've seen. It also speaks to why we won't be able to move people away from it. When you can narrate your own drama it becomes a drug.

Chris I agree with both of you points..

I'm going to add Cynique's analysis of social media to the eNewsletter I'm writing right now.  I agree it is an explanation that is sourced from wisdom an experience.  When I was a kid my mom spent hours standing in the hallway or on the phone gossiping.

One thing I learned was that men who "gossiped" or watched soap operas were considered punks.  Even to this day I can't bring myself to watch more than one episode of Scandal--it is just a glorified soap opera (plus watching the powerful sister lose her mind over a married white boy is a complete turn off).  Yeah I know that is old school and guys can now gossip, wear two earnings, arch their eyebrows, sit at the hairdresser a getting a fancy do, wear colorful shoes, watch Scandal, whatever....  I just was not raised that way.

I would however disagree with one aspect of your assessment of social media Cynique  There is accountability.  Indeed quite a lot of real world drama is caused by someone posting the wrong photo or writing the wrong thing.  Indeed the repercussions are often exaggerated as information spreads much more quickly and is virtually impossible to remove once it is out. 

Jobs have been lose and marriages have ended over Facebook.  Indeed, "Two-thirds of the lawyers surveyed said that Facebook was the "primary source" of evidence in divorce proceedings,"

Yes, Troy, what you say on FaceBook can have negative and dangerous repercussions.  It's interesting that even though this is the case, people continue to post things that can come back to haunt them. They take the risk, nudged by impulse. 

Things I have posted on FaceBook about religion have strained relations between me and 3 of my children and several of my friends.  I know when I make certain comments that this will offend people, but - I do it anyway.  Why? Because I've decided not to let disapproval from others inhibit my convictions. 

In its own perverse way,  Facebook  has emboldened  and enabled me, - allowed me to do what I would hesitate to do in the live setting of polite society.  It has liberated me even as it isolates me. But somehow being alone in the company of my personal beliefs doesn't bother me. 

So, the insidious Facebook can be a vehicle for whatever drives you.  It's like a parallel universe for people with a need for expression and attention and sharing and ranting. My avatar spends about an hour on FaceBook in the morning and then about the same amount of time again in the evening.  In between time, I pursue other interestes and diversions. 

It's almost like I have a love-hate relationship with FaceBook and all of its trivia and blather and platitudes. Yet, it is an organic entity that pervades my awareness and its panorama of topics provokes me to challenge and ridicule, something I am naturally inclined to do. But wait.  There's more. I've also been known to click on the "like" icon. :P

Statistically Facebook, social media in general are majority female.  All of the most passionate and aggressive uses I know are women. There is plenty of data to support this.

Sure people say things on social media they would never say in person.  Often emboldened by hiding behind behind an alias or an avatar, or simply shielded from an in-person reaction. 

Well Cynique I'm glad that Facebook has not completely driven you away from these discussion forums. 

While I may disagree with you occasionally I recognize we are different people and therefore MUST disagree from time to time.  But you never seem to take if personally the way SO MANY people do--online or off.

I was raised much like you Troy, but I really like Scandal and I wear my colorful Cole Haan shoes. I am also a huge fashion junkie... which is funny because as a basketball coach and educator, I couldn't wear any of the things that I wear now because I wanted to maintain a conservative appearance to my students. As I moved back into the college ranks of teaching, my dress mimicked my fashion aesthetics and distinguished me from my peers. I guess with fashion I'm okay with that and as far as Scandal is concerned, I actually enjoy the show. While the "sister chasing the white guy" approach does bother me, I like the writing. I like the "proposed" insight into Washington and conspiracy theories. I am also getting a kick out of the camera angles used to hide homegirl's pregnancy! But I guess this is because I was raised by women and watched soap operas my whole life.

In regard to Facebook, people are given a way of voicing opinions they would never present in public, face to face. My opposition to Facebook should not even be targeted to Facebook. It should be aimed at the people who no longer browse the web. With so much time available to us now, our spare time seems to willingly occupied by only social media. This has hurt the ability for my blogs and other businesses to attract people without constantly making people aware that my site is waiting for them. I mean, I hate the idea that the only way I can get someone to interact with things I write is to be either on the attack or ridiculously critical. But at the same time, social media does allow for me to get information out there where the people are spending their time. The thing is the follow through sucks and the repeat visitor is no longer a certain thing after getting someone involved initially.

I will tell you this, the best interaction I get from my website is when I write a Memphis Hi-Lite and share the article with the business on Twitter. If I posted a daily "Hi-Lite" targeting other businesses my unique visitors would spike, but I don't have the time to do that. Which leads us to a completely different discussion doesn't it.

"...Scandal and I wear my colorful Cole Haan shoes"  LOL!  Hey man I'm a New Yorker, I'm accustomed to you "metrosexuals" :)

Seriously, while I know a lot of people derive a great deal of pleasure from a fine suit, or a nice pair of heals or I can't help but feel like we are being victimized--our vanity stoked then used against us.

I remember the transition of things like sneakers and jeans from utility garments to fashion statements.  The only ones benefiting, were those selling the products. 

When we were kids we used to "snap" (tease) the kids that wore the no-name-brand sneakers.  You had to have Keds or PK Flyers, otherwise everyone knew you were a sucker (very uncool, lame) or your family was too poor to be able to afford the extra $5 a pair of Keds may have cost.  Within the next 10 years a pair of "the right sneakers" sneakers when up in price by a factor of 10.  PF Flyers were out. A pair of suede Clydes were in, to be quickly replaced by the $100+ Air Jordans.

It was not uncommon, back then, for a kid to get their sneakers stolen right off of their feet!  We used to laugh at each other back then when it happened.  It just dawned on me why... and it is so sad.  But I digress, what does this have to do with Jewish men scooping the Sistas?

Hey wait... I bet Jewish boys never stole expensive sneaks from each other.  I bet they never made fun of those who could score a par of Nike or Addias, or wasted limited resources paying for them.  I guess they were too busy learning what it meant to be a man and studying their religion and culture. 

PF Flyers the Bob Cousy joints. I see the ultra-throwbacks are now a fashion statement-they used to be inexpensive footwear.

newba351735_183981_jb.jpg

Time to start a new thread. The stories I could tell you about the fashion/footwear industry would align perfectly with this discussion on sistas and Jewish men, because this discussion is all about wealth and the perception of all Jewish men being well off. That's what this lady based her book upon. While I'm sure the percentage of successful Jewish men is much higher than Black men, the perception of success is a trick that this woman writing this book is playing into. I think this is what all of this is about perception. You have Black women that want to be seen as better off and happy. (Also on shoes, oddly enough the Jewish stores are the ones that had the original Nike accounts in NYC. Til this day, they only wholesale to other Jewish stores and will often pass up money in their face to do so.) Togetherness is a beast in business.

I have to think that when a Black woman is with any other man, there is that lingering in the subconscious and those questions and stares that are always creating tension sitting there like the elephant in the room. While that's unfortunate, I just know it is the truth.

In regard to the metrosexual, only in a fashion sense, and I sell them so I look sideways at people who actually pay the price that I sell the stuff for. I don't get manis or pedis, lol. I do like fashion though, but I have to; to try and conquer this sneaker world I'm in. You brought up the status symbol in shoes and I used to feel bad about how much I could charge people for a pair of kicks. I stopped feeling that way when I made my own brand and found it difficult to sell them to my own people. Of the 600 pair of ARCH brand shoes I made, my brand, I can honestly say 90% were purchased by white people. Which brings us back to the discussion of women and Jewish guys and black business. (Another aside, my Kickstarter was primarily funded by white people also).

I don't know if Blacks are being victimized. We make a conscious decision to support other people. This is a recent trend though that I think has occurred since the end of the Civil Rights movement. Again, this is a completely different discussion, but I will tie it back into the BW and JM (Black women and Jewish men). Black women are the least likely of any racial group of women to be married. If they are married and divorced they are the most likely to never marry again. If this woman says look for love somewhere else, then I can't blame her. No person should have to live their lives alone waiting on a group of men to wake up and smell the money.

• Like 1

Please start a new thread or carry it over to your site it it is on sneakers (provide a link).

Of I KNOW about the Jews who sold sneakers and clothing to poor Black kids -- TRUST me.  I did not know they had a lock on merchandise though, but it does not surprise me.  I just wish all the right wingers who complain about what Black businesses do not do would factor this in and I wish left wingers would actually do something about these things.

It was a big deal "back in the day" to go to Delancy Street (NY Cities predominately Jewish lower east side) and buy clothing from the Jewish business owners there.  They were in East Harlem too of course, but "D Street" was the Mecca (is that a bad analogy). 

I remember once paying $40 for a cheap (I realize now) leather coat. No prices were labelled you bargained for everything. I literally spend all my money and had to beat the fair (35 cents) to get back home.  Of course we boasted about how we were able to "Jew-them-down" on the price not realizing we were the ones being beat each time.

Whenever I hear Richard Pryor tell that joke when he says, "I tried to warn 'im: 'Boy, don't you go down there fuckin' with those Jews without no money!'" it makes me smile.  For from his day, to mine, to now it is still the truth.

Of course, I agree we make a conscious decision not to support each other, because we value what is not Black.  I don't care if it is a school, a neighborhood, a business or even a publication.  We do not feel validated unless a white entity does it.  It changed in the 60's because we were now legally allowed to integrate.

Look I'm all for integration.  The only problem I have is when we are treated, by other Black folks, as less valuable than those in the majority.  Of course this leads to a self-fulling prophesy as whatever is Black, suffering from lack of support, does indeed become less valuable. 

By the way, I've been known to get a manicure and pedicure from time to time.  You just won't see me in orange shoes, sporting earrings or those tight jeans ;)

LOL! I don't have any orange shoes at all. Those are a bit too much for my taste. I don't even have my ear pierced, but that comes from my mother explaining that men with their ears pierced were acknowledging their servitude in the bible.

This has definitely moved away from the main topic but it's valuable dialogue all the same.

• Like 2

Very Interesting exchange.   Things differ in different parts of the country, I guess. Back in the day, All Stars were big in the Chicagoland area.  They came in all colors.  If my kids couldn't start off the school year in September with a new pair of All Stars, they were bummed out.  Generic gym shoes were called bo-bos.  After a while bo-bos were in.   Keds, were called "white girl shoes" because, having nothing to prove, white girls wore them.  Keds were also standard gear for cheeleaders so that embued them with a certain amount of prestiege.   

Also around these parts,  Arabs moved in on the Jews when it came to clothing stores.  They sold a lot of knockoffs, but name brands as well.  Black guys were mesmerized by labels and price tags.  They really got off on buying expensive clothes and shoes.  These were status symbols that embellished their self-esteem. 

In my hey day I was, personally, never into real expensive clothes.  Mainly because after I wore something a couple of times, I was done with it, so I couldn't see paying a lot of money for something that would just be hangin in my closet..  I guess you could say my wardrobe was disposable.  Coats I did consider an investment. And I did have a good black dress that was my uniform for funerals.

And I did have female friends who would often tease me about shopping at discount department stores but I would blow them off,  always making sure to correct their grammar or word pronunciation or vocabulary, never hesitating to quote Shakespeare or some other dead poet.   I honed my intellectual snob skills and after a while I started to develop my own unique style, and began to adopt the persona of a Bohemian full of scorn for superficial materialistic people. It was funny how some folks reacted to someone not impressed with their high-priced clothes.   Of course these were, in a way, my defense mechanisms.  If I'd been affluent I might have opted for quality over quantity.  But I was never one to live above my means. I love dollar stores.  And I love bargains. Now I can get by with shopping at WalMart, by reminding everyone that I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income.  

Yet, wonder of wonders, I love a well-dressed man.  And my idea of being well-dressed, does not include bright pimp outfits.  I like conservative attire, but I do think earrings are kinda cool.  Am so glad, stove pipe pants and 3-button suits are making a comeback, thrilled that tab collars secured with tie pins are still around.  One thing is sure. when it comes to class, you either have it or you don't. Clothes are just trappings.

• Like 1

Converse's All Stars, or "Cons," as well called them came after the PF Flyers they were popular my my hood as well.  I've actually never owned a pair, but they were popular.  While they have waned in popularity over the years I'm not sure people ever stopped wearing Cons.

http://aalbc.com/tc/index.php?/topic/2602-skippies-bo-bos-and-rejects/.  Hopefully Chris can chime in with the economics of the sneaker industry.