An Interesting New Literary Startup

Peep this article. I'm not really clear on it, but I wanted to share it and see what you think. http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-news/screwpulps-launch-may-be-the-salvation-of-book-reviews

I think it's an interesting concept for e-books. Free until there are 25 reviews and then an increase in cost after that. I should research it a bit more.

It's sounds very convoluted to me, as well as being a monumental task to implement.  25 reviews?  What new self-published book could command that many reviews?? Or am I underestimating this practice?    

But since I have plans for making an e-book available on line, I will keep this project in mind.  I guess one would have nothing to lose by participating in it. 

Chris the problem they are attempting to address is real.  Who reads Amazon's reviews and expects an honest, informed critique?

I don't think the solution they described will work either--especially not for Black books.

We already know the best book recommendations frequently come from someone you know.  It really is not that complicated.  Indeed the old Thumper's Corner Discussion forum was great for that a few years ago.  The conversation around books was lively and interesting.  That in conjunction with the reading list made AALBC.com a better platform for discovering good books than it is today.

Today my eNewsletter and Blog is a good source of information about good books.  But the lack of conversation about books here is a loss.  AALBC.com is not immune to this I cruise the net from time-to-time have not discovered any alternatives.  I recently broke down and checked Goodreads, but those environments are too restrictive.  I tried to share information that was on my site that was relevant to a conversation I was having and was prevented from doing so.  It is just as well, I'm not really down for supporting the corporate sites anyway...

I guess the solution is to make some bullshiggidity app and pitch to some Sillycone Valley tech guy, make a bunch of money, fail miserably and make a movie about it. btw Happy Birthday Troy, if it's really your birthday since I saw that on Facebook and didn't want to write it there.

I'm still trying to figure out how to organize my book campaign. I have to finish the sneaker stuff first, but I'm still afraid that nothing I can do will get people to pick up a book again, especially since my books are not very over the top.

I guess the good thing is that someone actually attempted a literary tech startup.

Yes today is my birthday and thanks for the well wishes.

There are a lot of ideas that could be exploited.  If there are any VC folks out their drop me a line.  Just don't expect the next Facebook from me.  I'm more interested in something a bit more serious and practical, you know for adults.