Impact of the Million man March

15 years later, has the Million Man March had any impact on Black people? Will the Obama presidency? Is it naïve to think that these landmark events should?

I found this discussion interesting because one of the most senior Black people in publishing, Erroll McDonald, participated.

Check out a video of the conversation the the day after the Million Man March http://runt.it/millmanmarch

million_man_march.jpg

15 years later, has the Million Man March had any impact on Black people? Will the Obama presidency? Is it naïve to think that these landmark events should?

(The Million Man March was just a march. That's it. It was called by Louis Farrakhan, but the overwhelming numbers attending were not in the Nation of Islam and would not be. It was like Woodstock. It was an event. No program was really announced. No one was signed up.

Back in the day, it was shocking that Black people would march. Now it is not shocking. Instead of massing to deny it, the authorities go ahead and issue your permit, let you protest and you go home and that is it.

The Obama presidency will have an impact, but less of an impact than we thought--some of the impact will be negative. The election of a Black President has driven some white people--and black people--in this country crazy. Look for intercommunal strife to commence.

Now, if you are talking about the spiritual realm, both had great impact--on SOME black people.

I am reminded of a comment a black homeless guy made to me after Sept 11, 2001. Wasn't it horrible what happened, I asked him.

"For a n****a like me it was just another day," he said.

The Civil Rights Movement benefitted relatively few materially. It had a powerful influence on Black people's POV etc. The Million Man March had a spiritual impact--that a million black men could get together without fighting and strife was a big deal. That a black man, or half black man, could attain the Presidency will be inspiring to some people. They will believe they can.

Anything more that would come is gravy.

Chris your homepless friend is not the only one with that attitude...

MMM (I did not attend) was supposed to be much more than a bunch of Brothers getting together. It was supposed to be a catalyst for change. Folks were supposed to bring an agenda back to their local communities organize; using the momentum of the March to fuel grassroots effort to better our plight.

Perhaps the voter registrations during the MMM helped get Obama elected?

Maybe Obama attended MMM and was so moved by the fellow amoung his brothers that he decided to run for office and strive to become the next POTUS.

I think it was Erroll McDonald who said that until Farakkan becomes electable, he will never be in a position to help/lead Black people. I think if a Farakkhan, or anyone else, became "electable" they probably cease to be useful for making meaningful change to benefit Black folks. The greatest agents for improving things never served in public office.

It was like Woodstock. It was an event. No program was really announced. No one was signed up.

Ya got that right. That’s exactly what it was – a Negro Woodstock. And nothing happened afterwards that can be measured or accounted for. It was a dog and pony show for Farrakhan. But what changed in black America one year after the fact? Answer –Nothing! The MMM had about as much impact and brought about as much change to black America one month after it happened (Nov 1995) as it did today (May 2010). Lotta hype, promises, vows and hysteria of change. The glaciers have changed more than the alleged promises and covenant of the MMM. Oh well, just a another example of Negro hype and pomp. Talk the talk but can’t walk the walk…….

MMM (I did not attend) was supposed to be much more than a bunch of Brothers getting together. It was supposed to be a catalyst for change. Folks were supposed to bring an agenda back to their local communities organize; using the momentum of the March to fuel grassroots effort to better our plight.

(No it wasn't. It was just a march. A Day of Atonement. Speeches. Check it out. This is wishful thinking on your part.

After a few days reflecting on what Obama means, I must also consider the negative side.

It will have a terrible impact on black people.

If he messes up mobs of pissed off white people will assault well dressed blacks in the street. It is building up to that now. Plus, however he messes up all the rest of the Negroes will have to pass muster on it--like O.J. Simpson.

I suppose the Nation of Islam and various criminal organizations will receive a flood of volunteers. You won't be able to argue that if you get a good education and pull your pants up that it will mean anything in the long run.

Who signed this so called Covenant? When was it drawn up? Who drew it up?

Most importantly--was this presented at the Million Man March and did all the attendees sign it?

I see everyone grasping for straws. The Million Man March. Malcolm X. Martin Luther King.

The Black Community has been actively under attack since the 60's--blowback from the Civil Rights struggle. You can do a lot for Black America if you can get you and yours educated, keep you and yours healthy and off the poverty roles.

I remember how I used to provide aid and counsel to Negroes who were trying to start businesses. Since Negroes know nothing of business, they were trying to start off with expense accounts, company cars, the whole shmeer even before they got letterhead, opened an office or sold one thing.

They always were coming up with grandiose plans for 'saving the race'

You can't save the race. you can barely save yourself. Do that and then try to save everybody in your building. Then your block. And on.