Compassion

I have been looking at the truth for a bit more than a year

yet I couldn't see it. When you get angryupset annoyed, it is not them it is you. So the anger or the love you feel to the other is the anger or love you feel for yourself. So being compassionate for others will save your life.

• Like 1

Does this apply to a powerless black person being discriminated against by a white racist? Should a black mother feel compassion for a white cop who has killed her innocent son?  Is she angry at him because she's angry at herself?

If someone hates me I lose more than hating then back. You can use injustice as a motivator in a way that you can not use hate. There was injustices committed by Black make slaves to Black female slaves did that improve the situation?

I don't think anyone us powerless. Ghsndi, King, Mandela and Shabazz priced thus to be true. Their love and self respect were and ate powerful weapons against a grids injustices. That is my belief, as always you are free to believe otherwise. And it doesn't make either belief more valid.

Cynique I believe there us a power or economic component to prejudice. Which stems from insecurity. So the solution may involve practical steps and addressing motivational and psychology issues. The practical us more short term and can be legislated. The personal issue id more long term. However I feel a solution needs both to succeed.

Well, Delano, loving one's enemies is not a new approach to acquiring peace of mind.  It is a personal choice. But there's a thin line between taking the higher ground and being a door mat.    Compassion is a form of condescension so you can neutralize your antagonists by pitying them.  Indifference is also a poweful weapon.  Few people like to be ignored.  Indeed, all of these approaches are social skills for personal interactions.  I don't know that they work in a world view arena.    

Yes, hate is an emotional burden. Letting it go is emotionally draining  also, because the tendency is to repress it as opposed to exorcizing it.    And what does empathizing with someone doing something that is detrimental accomplish?

Passive resistance as a tactic may result in a moral victory but it doesn't prevent the collateral damage that includes killing and maiming. It is not altogether empowering. 

All of these mechanisms require self discipline. Self discipline requires overcoming the ego.  ZEN addresses this. ^_^  

Cynique I find that letting go if the negative emption liberating and life affirming.

Perhaps understanding or acceptance is better. I don't want to keep having an internal dialogue that starts, What are they doing?. I just don't see the point. My energy can best be use for my own development.

Instead of passive resistance what would hqve been a better tactic or strategy?

I agree Delano, that negativity consumes too much energy.  I just don't think that I should anoint my antagonists  by being compassionate and forgiving.  I prefer to just sentence them to the "they-are-what-they-are" prison,  and move on.

A strategy better than passive resistance would be to terrorize your enemies and destory their peace of mind, filling them with fear.  That was what the small crew of 911 perpetrators did to all-powerful America.

• 4 weeks later...