2 + 2 =?! Arithmetic isn't so simple anymore

I saw this on social media this morning and thought it was a joke.  This was reported by the Washington Post yesterday.

As schools around the U.S. implement national Common Core learning standards, parents trying to help their kids with math homework say that adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing has become as complicated as calculus.

They're stumped by unfamiliar terms like "rectangular array'' and "area model.'' They wrestle with division that requires the use of squares, slashes and dots. They rage over impenetrable word problems.

BmaxEJOCYAA8Tle.jpg

Watch video on how to solve the problem:

I see how the problems are solved;

45 - 17 = 28

17 + 3 = 20

20 + 10 = 30

30 + 10 = 40

40 + 5 = 45

3 + 10 + 10 + 5 = 28

I still find this hard to believe.  Even if it is just a tool to help kids understand math.  There are easier ways to do this...

Yeah, using a calculator is the easier way, and certainly in keeping with a computerized world where cursive writing is becoming obsolete. Presumably the new math is designed to help make kids learn problem solving skills.  I doubt, however, if  this will help them solve the problem of being addicted to smart phones and social media.  

• Like 1

If you read the Washington Post article it did not shed any light on the situation.  Which is pathetic reporting. 

I did see some conversation where someone familiar with the common core said this was more meant to replace the "old way" of doing subtraction, but was meant to help students understand numbers and calculate larger figure in their heads.  I don't know if that is true either, but all of the information I got just seems to be stoking controversy rather that shedding light.

In today's world you can't depend to newspapers to help you understand issues.  This is why we are so confused about the most basic things.