WHY BLACK MEN CHEAT///

@TroyTalk about cherry picking!  You only responded to the comments that you had a "retort" for. The other things i pointed out to you, you ignored.  And when you cast yourself as being an authority on "good journalism", then you invited the "diversionary" comment i made about your lack of proofreading. And to add insult to injury you proceed to mansplain - oops, i mean critique my "debate" tactics as if yours were any better. Sheeze!

First you said that mansplaining was not a word.  Now you say Merriam Webster didn't give a definition of what you have apparently reconsidered to be  a word, but you refer to M-W's definition of this word in trying to make your point.  What is your definition of a definition?? Just because a word doesn't appear in a dictionary doesn't mean that it has no definition. And what does the phrase "it's not going to be dropping out of sight any time soon" convey to you?  When will this word which, for some reason M-W is watching, disappear? In 5 years, 10? 20? And why will it disappear?  When people decide to acquiesce to Merriam Webster's decree that they should stop using it?  This was an article about a very fluid subject.  Not hard science which is what you are so devoted to. Finally, what did i say that contradicted this article?  I surmised there was a possibility that M-W might add this pop culture word to their dictionary at a later date.  They left the door slightly ajar in regard to their doing this.   

Since you completely ignored my reference to Oxford Dictionary, a reference book which is on a par with Merriman Webster, here is an excerpt from Huff Post: 

This week, Oxford Dictionaries announced some new additions to their online database. Listed alongside “clickbait,” “douchebaggery” and “side boob” is everyone’s favorite uncomfortable experience — “mansplaining.”The etymology of “mansplain” can be traced back to 2008, when Rebecca Solnit wrote an essay titled “Men Explain Things To Me.” The author touched on the idea that being talked down to and corrected — primarily by men — was a common occurrence in almost every woman’s life...

I really am not sure what is fueling your persistence in discussing this word.  i keep saying that mansplaining is a word Feminists came up with and it was meant for the exclusive use of women but its original usage has been neutered by those who took it upon themselves to now apply it to anyone who patronizingly explains a subject to another person. What about this is buggin' you??  Other than that you personally find the word mansplaining offensive.  What is it that you are disagreeing with me about??

The only thing fueling this conversation was you rejecting my use of the word and me defending my position.  I see you won't even concede that the word is not in M-W.  Rather you've scoured the Earth and found a definition a British dictionary:

mansplain

VERB

[WITH OBJECT] informal 

(of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.

Here too, there is no requirement that the the target of the manspliation has to be a woman.  While that is "typical" it is not a requirement. I will continue to use the word in the fashion that I have been (mansplaining to a man), for it is correct usuage. 

Look the use of an informal word or a very malleable. Indeed the use of the English in information conversation is.  Remember when "gay" meant "happy?"  Today no man would not describe themselves as "gay" unless they were homosexual, no matter how happy they were.

Maybe I'd describe myself as mansplaining to a guy I wanted to disparage because one only typically mansplains to a woman.  Or maybe, one would request a mansplaication to highlight the idiocy of the request or the expected definition.

Sorry Cynique the word has evolved just as quickly as it was coined.

@TroyWell, you continue to see what you want to see in my posts.  Here is a direct quote in regard to your accusation about me not conceding the word isn't in  Merriam Webster   "...I surmised there was a possibility that M-W might add this pop culture word to their dictionary at a later date.  They left the door slightly ajar in regard to their doing this."  And i never said it was in Merriam Webster.  i said that Merriam Webster's "definition" comes up when you google mansplaining.  Because, as you are so quick to point out, the link to the article was broken, i didn't get to read it until i clicked onto another link. Or was i nearly as adamant as you were in insisting that mansplaining wasn't a word. 

And characterizing my quote taken from Huff Post, the Internet's most popular blog as being something i had to scour around to find, is a rather ignorant observation on your part.  ("This week, Oxford Dictionaries announced some new additions to their online database. Listed alongside “clickbait,” “douchebaggery” and “side boob” is everyone’s favorite uncomfortable experience — “mansplaining.”The etymology of “mansplain” can be traced back to 2008, when Rebecca Solnit wrote an essay titled “Men Explain Things To Me.” The author touched on the idea that being talked down to and corrected — primarily by men — was a common occurrence in almost every woman’s life... ) The fact that you attempt to belittle Oxford Dictionary's says more about you than it.  This prestigious, world famous dictionary has been around since 1857 and is considered "the last word on the English language". Its definition is the one which comes up when you  google  mansplaining. Instead  of you conceding that there are 2 schools of thought about this word, you prefer to shackle yourself to Merriam Webster, clutching  it like a security blanket while regarding what was almost an op-ed piece, as the gospel according to Merriam Webster, - albeit an ambiguous one.  

Furthermore, i don't really care how you choose to use the word mansplaining.  It ain't that serious, and where did you get the idea that i thought it was? i was amused by your frothing-at-the-mouth rants about how men flipped the word and women abuse it.  Or am i particularly upset about how it has become "bi-sexual". it's not like i'm tearing my hair out about something i can't control. To a cynic like me,  it is, what it is.  Its message about presumptuousness remains in tact.  And so it goes.

OK @Cynique, it has been 5 days of back and forth mansplaining, manslain and we have gotten no where.  Did you forget that it was you you started this?  I wrote;

"Well one of y'all please mansplain "Wednesday Thursday Friday to me 'cause I did not get it."

and you replied;

"A man can't "mansplain" to another man.  Mansplaining involves a man regurgitating what a woman has already said, or a man cluelessly  attempting to clarify what a woman has figured out for herself."

Your reaction to my statement and your ongoing defense of it, is why I thought you took this seriously.  If you did not care, why didn't you just let my statement slide?

The lady doth protest too much, methinks (since you love the British and their dictionaries so much ;))

@Troy Well as far as  i'm concerned, you overreacted to my supplying a definition of mansplaining, immediately going on the the attack.Why did my parsing this word offend you so much?  instead of resenting my correcting you, why didn't you  just let my definition just roll of your back since you had not intention of accepting it.  You ought to  be used to me correcting people by now.  After i  supplied the definition for purposes of clarity, i don't think  i did a whole lot of protesting. There was nothing else to protest.  I knew there was no way you were going to change your mind. i just like to argue. You're who went all off on tangents trying to obliterate the word and i offered my rebuttals. Or have i denied that i started this. So what if i did? What's your point?

The Oxford Dictionary is utilized by the whole English-speaking world and is found on the shelves of all American schools and libraries.  Why do you think its recognition of  mansplaining as a word was such a big deal to the Huff Post?   And just because i cited Oxford as a reference doesn't mean  that i dismiss Merriam Webster.  Unlike you, I respect them both.  Speak for yourself when you say nothing was accomplished.  I learned a few things -  even if you didn't.  ^_^

Mel

But I think @Pioneer1 just taught us something!

I've BEEN teaching......
Yall just ain't been paying attention.....lol.

Del

Pioneer I may have been wrong on both counts. In underestimating you and overestimating Mel Cynique and Troy

That's alright....
It wouldn't be the first time....lol.

If I let it bother me everytime you were wrong about me or my intentions.....I'd be on medication, lol.

Troy and Cynique

The lady doth protest too much, methinks (since you love the British and their dictionaries so much

Didn't I tell you they were inlove with White men....lol.

https://aalbc.com/tc/topic/4804-questions-for-cynique-mel-and-anyone-else-who-can-answer-them/

Now, about this "mansplaining" business.....

According to Neely Fuller Jr., a word is BEST defined by those who coined or invented it.

This is to prevent what we see taking place right now, which is Black people bickering and squabbling over words that NEITHER of them invented and NEITHER know the true origin or definition of.....lol.

Just like they often do over religion and politics.

From what I understand, the word "mansplain" was coined by WHITE FEMINISTS.
So I think Black women should let THEM have the word and invent another for themselves to use....that is...if they really WANT to go the feminist route.

But Black women who call themselves feminist should abandon their feminist like ideologies because it's nothing but another tool by White racists to divide the Black community and keep it weak.

The same White women who'll jump up and down about how condescending men are and complain how they talk down to women.....are the same ones who voted for Trump and slept with Harvey Weinstein.

@Pioneer1I'm not a feminist.  You don't have to be one to agree with the definition of mansplaining because it's something all women encounter. And as i previously stated, there are Urban Dictionaries that supply a definition of mansplaining, using street slang to do this. And i do know the origin of the word manslpaining.  How many times do i have to tell it!  

Del is who used, "Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday". So he knows as much as you do.  in fact you weren't even sure about what it meant. :P

OK let me try a different approach @Cynique:

The reality is that I dislike all words in the "mansplain" category.  When we artificially combin words like "Bromance," "Manbun," and "Manslain"  We become less clear. Besides words like this are inherently sexist.  If two men love each other it is just love. If a man wears a bun it is just a bun. The male gender qualifier diminishes the thing it is applied to as if it is only for women.  Does this make sense?  If a man carries a bag to hold things, it is not a "manbag." it is just a damn bag.

If a man explains something it is just an explanation.  If the mans does it in a condescending manner it is an explanation done condescendingly  It does not matter if the target is a woman or a man; condescension is gender neutral, for women can be condescending too.  We do not need words like mansplain, womansplain, Blacksplain, gaysplain, jewsplain, or any of these useless combinations.

Again, applying the gender qualifier is unnecessary at best and sexist at worst.  The later is virtually always the intent.  

So cynique you may disagree with the sexist nature of this type of language or may have been completely obvious to it.  But when a racist behaves in a racist manner they too can be caught off guard and surprised by the reaction.

Hey @Del that is very interesting--maybe you are right.  I think my reasoning above may explain why.  What do you think?

@Troy Why are you belaboring the point about mansplaining in its current usage???  Didn't i say that i accepted what i have no control over?  Didn't i imply that the essence of the word was preserved because  patronizing presumptuousness transcends gender?  And your opinionated deconstruction  and rejection the legitimacy of this word doesn't really register with me because i don't agree with you.  I tend to like colorful, creative words.

The ongoing battle  of the sexes spawned  mansplaining and it has found a place in the vernacular of pop culture.  Nobody is saying you have to accept the word.  But, by the same token, nobody has to defer to your disapproval of it just because it offends your sensibilities.  Language is the living instrument of human communication and if it's flawed, it is because humans are. Deal with it.

BTW, how often do you encounter women who toss the word  manspaining at you?  Is it a constant in your life? And can you bring yourself to consider that women who use this term are just as often right as they are wrong? If they're wrong you do have the option to get things off our chest by telling them this.

You can squelch Pioneer's obstinacy about race being  an authentic classification, and Del's postulation about climate change being suspect, but you cannot place yourself on the side of right when it comes to the controversial nature of the word "mansplaining". You want to bad-mouth Oxford Dictionary because it is based in England, as if the English language is not  spoken in America. And i don't think Merriam Webster really supports your personal distaste for the word.   Words are their business. To them, mansplaining  is simply a word they are watching with interest to see if it will eventually fall out of usage.  Unlike you, they are objective.     

Guest Sarah Beecham Powell

Don't know why Black men are singled out but my book, Run Sallie Run, address what to do if you suspect ANY man is not being upfront on the dating scene.  This book is for the mature dating woman and provides some insight into situations which may help to validate your thinking.  It is a humorously written book that uses music lyrics and song titles to spark conversation and thought.  Run Sallie Run, Run Like Hell Is On Your Heels.  Peek inside at Amazon.

Well @Cynique, I've said my peace on the word.  I'm not sure if you understand my point since your entire reaction was spent picking apart and rejecting what I wrote. I'm surprised you did not go after my grammar again...Nuff said.

Hi Sarah, do you have a website?  Why don't you post a link to it, and save anyone who is interested a step.  Thanks

@Troy Now you're playing the victim. SMH. I  wasn't exactly in the dark about your sentiments.  There was never any doubt that you didn't agree with where i was coming from, or that you despised the word mansplaining and all it brought to mind.    So you proceed to reiterate your sentiments in the guise of a "different approach", and have now accused me of not knowing what you're talking about  just because i don't share your opinion; typical male reaction.  I'm sorry, but i don't care about "sexism". I think "bromance" is a really cool  merger. "Fuck" is my favorite curse word, "nigga" my favorite sobriquet to express the love/hate relationship i have with my people.   So shoot me.    How many times do i have to say that i'm a cynical ol bitch? :o  And just to prove it - you should've written "I said my piece on the word; not peace."  ;)

I'm not playing the victim. I do not feel victimized nor did I ever imply such a thing.  I simply expressed my feelings on the issue. 

I'm not sure where you are getting the "playing the victim" sentiment from. I can only presume it is your imagination, a reflection of what is in your head.  Are you trying to victimize me?  You must know by now I've been harassed by people, on this forum, who are far more vile than you might imagine, some of this stuff has even made it onto the board, some I've even shared because i thought it was comical. Playing the victim is not my role, or nature.  I'm surprised you would try to pull that one on me ;)

My grammer is impeccable, but you already know this.  It is also the reason why I generally refrain from using words like f*uck, bromance, or mansplain.  

@TroyOh, Puleeze. I'm not trying to pull anything.   Or am i trying to harass you. I just respond to what you put out there. i thought the conversation was over; I had my say on the use of mansplaining being beyond my control and i accepted this and was done. But you decided to reopen the subject and mansplain what you had already expressed during the course of the discussion, then further decided that i didn't know what you were talking about and was therefore at fault for giving my reasons for not sharing your opinion, -  all of this before patting yourself on the back, convinced that your rigidity is a virtue when it comes to the use of certain unique words you don't approve of.  Good for you.

To me, your stance  is akin to the accusations you make against Pioneer and his obstinancy about race.  The only difference is that your personal rejection of certain morphed words occurs in a situation where there is another accepted point of view, something which seems to frustrate you. 

You, of course,  have a perfect right to balk at being labeled a victim, and i accept your denial. It's also your prerogative to disagree with my philosophy about words. So be it.

Suddenly everyone is at each other's throats on this board that is currently mired in the mode of a dysfunctional family.  This excerpt from  an old poem comes to my mind because it appropriately applies to everyone.

Oh, would some Power give us the gift
To see ourselves as others see us!
It would from many a blunder free us...

Cynique my debate with Pioneer is different in that there is actually a right and wrong answer.  The mansplain issue is much more subjective. I have not problem with you disagreement.  But again when you couch my disagreement as playing victim that is just so far from the truth that it is silly.

My debate with Del regarding climate change is more more in line with that of Pioneer--in that I believe the answer is pretty clear.

As far as the most recent issue about the origins of the universe hey anything is possible :o

I'm glad you did not take my, "My grammer is impeccable." bait.  Was it that obvious ;)

@Del is there something in the stars that might suggest why everyone is at each others throats at this time, and why you and @Pioneer1 are now enjoying a bromance.

Troy that's funny.

it's been going on for a bit. Its interesting not to be involved for a change. 

You and Pioneer are more fixed. Cynique is less fixed but will considereal other views. Mel us pretty open until the ither conversant stops either thinking or listening. 

But it is entertaining. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/11/2017 at 9:27 AM, Troy said:

My debate with Del regarding climate change is more more in line with that of Pioneer--in that I believe the answer is pretty clear.

@Troy you belive the scientist are right. The underlying data says it is a fiction. 

You believe because you can't analyse the data. You don't even realise they haven't posted the source data. You don't realise they arent using actual temperatures. You don't realise they are adjusting the temperature then using a percentage and using 1980 as the base.  I don't have a problem of you being ignorant of those facts. But you haven't checked one of those statements. So I can't take you serious. 

Again Del, it is not MY OPINION you take issue with, it is that of the majority of the worlds scientists you have a problem with. 

I can't prove that genetics that shows that there is only one human race.  I have neither the equipment, knowledge, or time to prove any of this stuff.  And this despite what you think and claim neither do you my friend.

Do you believe their is only one human race?  Can your prove it?  Of course not.  You must rely on what others who are more knowledgeable tell you.  Once you start questioning the data I have access to and questioning MY scientific knowledge your argument is no better than Pioneer's.

@Troy Do you honestly think it is good science? The answer is you don't know. But you're less likely to believe me then people who have an agenda.  

I didn't have an opinion until I looked at the data.

Troy thats is my whole point.  You should question the data and the methodology. it may take another before climate change is exposed. 

• Like 1

Troy

I can't prove that genetics that shows that there is only one human race. I have neither the equipment, knowledge, or time to prove any of this stuff.

If this is the case, then how can you call MY position that there IS more than one race "wrong"?

You must rely on what others who are more knowledgeable tell you.

.....or do the research and trust your own experience and observations.
Which is what Black people should get into a habit of doing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 17/11/2017 at 7:27 AM, Troy said:

LOL, being accessed of mansplaining is what drives men to cheat. ;)

I beg to differ with you on many points @Cynique;

1. It is women, not men, who initially perverted the term by misuse it in the ways that I described earlier.
  2. Mansplain is not in the Merriam Webster dictionary. The link you provided is broken. 
  3. Here is a article describing Merriam Websters's stance on the "word."
  4. The "Urban Dictionary" is not a formal dictionary.
  5. Sure, mansplain can be considered an idiom, but that does not make it a real word; one that is found in a proper dictionary and is appropriate for formal communication.
  6. You may love language, but surely you must appreciate that the use of words like "mansplain" distorts language.  There are much better, and clearer, ways of expressing oneself. Naa'mean?

It's in the OED. @Troy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1