Sign in to follow this  
Troy

Finding Fela Documentary Film - definitely worth checking out

I saw this film yesterday.  Fela was great band leader and activist, but homie was off the chain.  I guess he had to be; to stand up to the Nigerian government the way he did...  This bio-pic is definitely worth checking out

finding-fela.jpg

Finding Fela: Music is the Weapon tells the story of Fela Kuti's life (1938 - 1997), his music, and his social and political importance. This in-depth look at the man who created Afrobeat (a fusion of Jazz, traditional West African rhythms, Funk, Highlife, and psychedelic rock) brings audiences close to Mr. Kuti's fight against the dictatorial Nigerian government of the 1970s and 1980s. With his audacious music and a great deal of courage, Fela Kuti helped bring a change towards democracy in Nigeria, promoted Pan Africanist politics to the entire world and became an inspiration in the global fight for the rights of all oppressed people. © Kino Lorber

In Theaters: Aug 1, 2014 Limited

Unrated, 1 hr. 59 min.
Musical & Performing Arts, Documentary
Directed By: Alex Gibney

I was looking through some book. And it had a picture of Fela. The caption wss musician with his wives. I think it was a book about polyamorous living.

Yeah Fela got married to 27 women at the same time--and I believe he was already married at the time. They apparently fought for his attention...

Notice the logo on the right side of the poster is okayplayer? Remember our long talk about the positive aspects of hip-hop? This movie was partially brought forward due to questlove and okp.

Chris, you know you may man, but you ascribe far to much to hip-hop Bruh.  Have you considered that a Questlove may do something because he has in interest in it, that was informed by factors other than hip-hop?

I would argue he may have been motivated by simply a love of music, Black people, Fela, whatever. 

LOL, okay I won't try to push that connection anymore. I will say that Okayafrica/okayplayer was one of the few outlets to push the documentary and promote it continuously. I will admit I was reaching a bit.