What is everyone reading?

Hello All,

I figured I'd be the first one to post the first, What are you reading thread, on the new board. *smile*

Well, I'll go first. I'm reading Victoire by Maryse Conde, which is a sort of memoir, biography, historical fiction novel. You all know how much I love Maryse Conde. I find her brilliant. She's one of my all time favorite writers of all times. So far, the small novel is turning out to be magnificent. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1

This is always a popular question. Sometimes the books which I list "that I'm reading" I actually never complete. I plan to start Dolen Perkin-Valdez's Wench I'm looking forward to this one given the positive reviews.

I'm currently reading, on my Kindle, Malcom Gladwell's What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures this collection of articles is not very interesting, or at least not as interesting as his books. I'll probably read a few more then bail if nothing else strikes my fancy.

My Mom has read the last 4 of Vanessa Davis Griggs novels -- she loves them. She could not find the Griggs' first 3 novels in books stores (no PC at home, to purchase via AALBC.com). I had Grigg's first novel The Rose of Jericho in my library. I gave it to her. I think she read it in 5 minutes. I asked for it back she told me, "No!" -- Ma just took my book. The other two I found on Amazon through a third party.

Guest Wallace Grommitt

Just started reading "The Ancestors". It is 3 short stories by L.A. Banks, Tananarive Due, & Brandon Massey. i am a big fan of Brandon Massey & L.A. Banks so I figure I will start reading this book today.

Love, Anger, Madness - A Haitian Trilogy, By Marie Vieux-Chauvet. This is a new translation with an introduction by Edwidge Danticat. Danticat mentioned it at the Brooklyn Book Fest in Sept. '09. Purchased Victoire today. Awaiting the delivery of Fela- this bitch of life.

Guest Guest Pat

I am presently reading The Blue Orchard by Jackson Taylor and getting ready to read Beneath the Lion's Gaze. Just finished reading Blues For An Alabama Sky, an early play by Pearl Cleage.

Just finished Percival Everett's "I Am Not Sidney Poitier." I highly recommend it. Now I need a new book to read. Actually, Tina, I am leaning toward Edwidge Danticat's "The Dew Breaker."

Guest DahomeyAhosi

I'm reading When China rules the world by Jacques Martin. First book in a while that I've read that freely admits that westerners feel that modernity = westernization and the implications of such a silly belief.

Right now I have finished reading THE MEETING POINT by Austin Clarke.It's about a West Indian domestic living in Canada, and what unfolds when her sister comes down for a visit. I found the story kind of slow and not as eventful as I was hoping for. I am now embarking on THE WRITING CIRCLE by Rozena Maart. The story sounds more engaging and exciting, so I can't wait to dig in.

Guest Soul Sister

I enjoyed Cion - and Zakes Mda his writing is fabulous. What did you think about the arrival of the brother in Ohio - the night and his response - as well as the story of enslavement?? You should check out his Madonna of Excelsior -- another great read - I love authors who promote some consciousness, information and great writing - that is the recipe for success. I will check out Ways of Dying

I am reading Jesus, Jobs and Justice as well as the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Both works about Black women - the first talks about the organizations and influence African American Christian women have exercised from the earliest times - and the other is about an African American woman who suffered and died 1950s from cervival cancer - a biopsy of her tissue was taken and grown outside of her body - this medical innovation spawned a medical revolution which has given cures and insight into the human body - both are must reads

peace

Soul Sister --

ps - Carey you know I have nothing but love for you - but the rant that started this thread and the back and forth - WOW -- some big, fat person musta stepped on that corn/bunion -- on the left little toe -- Epsom salts my brother - smile - and that goes for you too Cyn. epsom salt

I just completed Cion by Zakes Mda and have started Ways of Dying by the same author.

Hello All,

I just finished Love, Anger, Madness by Marie Vieux-Clauvet, an excellent, wonderful book! Right now, I'm approaching the middle of One Drop by Bliss Broyard. This one is turning out to be a page turner! It's a true story of how Bliss's father, Anatole Broyard, hid the fact that he had been passing as a white man for the majority of his life. His Children did not know about it until shortly before he died. Bliss is on a mission to find out about the black side of her family. This is an old book, it came out in 2007. The only reason I know about it is that I went to a huge Barnes and Noble and was looking through the clearance section--the only section I buy books in. *big smile* And One Drop was in the clearance pile. So far, it's turning out to be a good read!

Actually... my DC Soul-Sister with the misplaced blister, this is my very first time clicking on ths thread. See, Although Thump is a little older than I (close but older) please don't get us confused. Thumper started this thread. I just stopped in to see how normal people act. I mean, the book suggestion were great but I almost feel asleep midway through the dang thang.

But Yeah, I have to admit that Cynique brings out the worst in me. But I am glad that you also put her in check. But please don't mention her name. This has been a nice civil thread. I might come through here more often. If nothing else, I can pick up a few names of some serious sounding authors and then drop them at a party of important negroes. I might even sell a few beer cans and buy one of the books. Then I'll stick it under my arm when I go to my next NAACP meeting. That's sure to get me a few votes for King POOPAH.

I'm going to stay away from anything LiLi is reading because... well.

Anyway, I'm looking at the one book about the West Indian Domestic in Canada. Now, is it me, or. Well, I think I'll pass on that one, and instead read about Blanche. (Yeah, only Thump knows a bout Blanche)

Now, Thump may be cheap, but he knows a little something about good books. So if he says the old one drop white man is a good read, I'd be inclined to believe him. But Troy, I don't know about him. However, mamma knows best, so his posts are a push.

Okay my Soul Sister, since you put me in check, I'll try to maintain a sense of sensibility. Dang, I thought my mother lived in Illinios *lol*

But remember,I didn't start this, Thump did. Blame it on the Naptown Nappy Yappy.

Actually... my DC Soul-Sister with the misplaced blister, this is my very first time clicking on ths thread. See, Although Thump is a little older than I (close but older) please don't get us confused. Thumper started this thread. I just stopped in to see how normal people act. I mean, the book suggestion were great but I almost feel asleep midway through the dang thang.

But Yeah, I have to admit that Cynique brings out the worst in me. But I am glad that you also put her in check. But please don't mention her name. This has been a nice civil thread. I might come through here more often. If nothing else, I can pick up a few names of some serious sounding authors and then drop them at a party of important negroes. I might even sell a few beer cans and buy one of the books. Then I'll stick it under my arm when I go to my next NAACP meeting. That's sure to get me a few votes for King POOPAH.

Anyway, I'm looking at the one book about the West Indian Domestic in Canada. Now, is it me, or. Well, I think I'll pass on that one, and instead read about Blanche. (Yeah, only Thump knows a bout Blanche)

Now, Thump may be cheap, but he knows a little something about good books. So if he says the old one drop white man is a good read, I'd be inclined to believe him. But Troy, I don't know about him. However, mamma knows best, so his posts are a push.

Okay my Soul Sister, since you put me in check, I'll try to maintain a sense of sensibility. Dang, I thought my mother lived in Illinios *lol*

But remember,I didn't start this, Thump did. Blame it on the Naptown Nappy Yappy.

Puleeze. I haven't been put "in check". And I have no intention of deferring to the requests of those who want everybody to assume a placid demeanor. There are enough mild-mannered people around here, most of whom to seem to be laying back in the cut, saying nothing. I suggest that since they've decided to become members that they speak up and add some balance to the board. As for Carey, any time the ol coot wants to play "hard ball", I'm ready.

BTW, "The Immortal Life of Henriette Lacks" is next on my reading lists. I remember hearing about her case a long time ago and am glad somebody finally decided to chronicle her story.

Feb 2010 Books Read

Burning Desire Relentless Aaron

In The Beginning F.D. Davis

Love Me Now Celeste O. Norfleet

Betrayal Dwayne S Joseph

An About Face M.W. Moore

Crushed Ice Eric Pete

Hope to get to or will carry over to March:

The Blue Orchard Jackson Taylor

A Deep Dark Secret Kimberla Lawson Roby

Deep Deception Tina Brooks McKinney

Beneath The Lion’s Gate Maza Mengiste

Three Days Before The Shooting Ralph Ellison edited by

John F Callahan & Adam Bradley

Zora Hurston and the Strange Case of Ruby McCollum C. Authur Ellis, PHD

SHAT UP

LiLi

SHAT UP

LiLi

I second that motion, LiLi. Carey doesn't need the epsom salts that Soul Sister recommended because he already has diarrhea of the mouth. Yada Yada Yada. Woo-woo-woo. Blah, blah, blah.

He is right, however, when he says I bring out the worst in him because none of the arrows he aims at me ever pierce my skin, but he just can't do any better. :lol:

That looks like a good one Xeon.

I felt in need of a little retail thereapy so I just ordered [through this site of course :)] : The Ancestors - Brandon Massey, Tananarive Due, L.A Banks; The Blue Orchard - Jackson Taylor and I Do Not Come To You By Chance - Adaobi Nwaubani.

katzman-david.jpg

Before the Ghetto: Black Detroit in the Nineteenth Century, by David Katzman.

Antebellum Detroit had a feisty black community that fought the slave-catchers -- literally. When Ruth and Thornton Blackburn were arrested in 1833, female friends spirited her out of the jail by switching clothes with her during a visit. The next day, hundreds of black men laid armed seige to the jail and freed Thornton by force when the sheriff tried to put him in a cart to send him back to slavery. The sheriff received a brutal beating and eventually died of his injuries, while the Blackburns got away across the river to Canada.

The guy above is the author. I didn't find a picture of his bookcover, but thought his beret was pretty jaunty.

Guest bookster

BTW, "The Immortal Life of Henriette Lacks" is next on my reading lists. I remember hearing about her case a long time ago and am glad somebody finally decided to chronicle her story.

I heard NPR do a feature on this book last month. The author heard about Henrietta Lacks at age 16 from her biology teacher, and was smart enough to recognize (and remember) a great untold story.

That looks like a good one Xeon.

It is. It's part of a trilogy of books Richard Evans wrote about the rise and fall of the Nazis. Fascinating reading. William Shirer is also one of my favorite writers who has written a number of books about Third Reich. His most famous is the “Rise and Fall of the Third Reich”. A monumental book that is riveting to read.

rise-and-fall-of-the-third-reich-a-history-of-nazi-germany.jpg

katzman-david.jpg

Before the Ghetto: Black Detroit in the Nineteenth Century, by David Katzman.

Antebellum Detroit had a feisty black community that fought the slave-catchers -- literally. When Ruth and Thornton Blackburn were arrested in 1833, female friends spirited her out of the jail by switching clothes with her during a visit. The next day, hundreds of black men laid armed seige to the jail and freed Thornton by force when the sheriff tried to put him in a cart to send him back to slavery. The sheriff received a brutal beating and eventually died of his injuries, while the Blackburns got away across the river to Canada.

The guy above is the author. I didn't find a picture of his bookcover, but thought his beret was pretty jaunty.

I must find this book !!!

LiLi

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently finished "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skoots, a current best-seller that exposes the medical violations poor southern blacks were subjected to during the Jim Crow era, specifically in the 1940s.

This was an interesting, albeit disturbing book detailing the tragic fate of a black woman who, as a product of her times and her circumstances, died a cruel death at the age of 31, the victim of cervical cancer. Trapped in a crude lifestyle that made her vulnerable to the disease that eventually killed her, what distinguished Henrietta Lacks from other such victims was the uniqueness which laboratory experiments discovered about her cells: they survived and thrived outside of the body.

The author chronicles her investigation of this case which revolutionized the scientific world by explaining the technical details of medical procedures while telling the personal history of Henrietta who was revealed to be a strong, capable, vivacious wife and mother of 5 children who were also exploited by a system of injustice. Unfortunately, this well-written book that finally gives the obscure Henrietta Lacks the recognition she deserves is the only compensation her family has thus far fallen heir to; a sad but enlightening tale.

Three stars is my rating.

Three stars is my rating.

Cynique is that 3 out of 4 or 5 stars? Everyone I know who has read this book raved about it.

Kam reviewed it favorably: http://www.aalbc.com/reviews/immortal_life_of_henrietta_lacks.html

I have this book on my reading list, but I just can;t seem to bring myself to read it. Where it not for the rave reviews I probably would not consider picking it up at all. I just can;t image how this story can be as compeling as everyone says it is. I'mm get around to it eventually...

Three stars out of a possible four is my rating, Troy.

Actually although I found this book interesting, it I really didn't find it compelling. It was not fast-paced, and veered off into a lot of technical chronology, in addition to focusing more on the heirs of Henrietta Lacks than on her.

I’m reading The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu – about an Ethiopian immigrant trying to make it in D.C. I like the writing but I don't seem to be able to reconcile the inner voice with the spoken words and actions. They don’t seem to belong to the same person but I’m not quite half way through so hopefully it’ll come together for me.

Hello All,

This morning I finished a WONDERFUL novel called Jesus Boy by Preston L. Allen. The novel is remarkable. It's about a young boy Elwyn, who was raised to be one of the Faithful, a member of the Church of The Blessed Redemeer who Walked Upon the Water. The church's name is a killa ain't it? Elwyn's a piano prodigy, who will start preaching to the unsaved in the streets, in the middle of the school building, wherever. When he turns 16 years old, he begin having an illicit affair with a 42 year old widow. The novel is deep and humurous, funny in some parts because there's truth in it. It's definitely not the standard "I was a ho but now I found Jesus" books.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started reading "The Help" a work of fiction currently gracing the top-10 best seller list. I had no idea what this book was about but it came highly recommended.

It's turning out to be quite engrossing. Hint: Scarlett O'Hara must be turning over in her grave, her green eyes blazing! One of my thumb-nail reviews will reveal more when I finish it.

Just finished Glorious by Bernice McFadden, The immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, a question of freedom by r. dwayne betts,city kid by nelson george and fela this bitch of life. Will start either wench or victoire or black water rising. Started reading One Drop and Passing Strange last year, but put them down.

Guest joepoetry

Dr. Wayne W. Dyer ...Change Your Thoughts Change Your Life

Living the Wisdom of the Tao

Also I like to read ...Until Today

Daily Devotions For Spiritual Growth and Peace Of Mind...Iyanla Vanzant

Hello All,

I'm still here. The job is giving me the blues and making it difficult for me to do all of the reading that I want to do. But, I am still going through books, not as fast as I care to. Anyway, this list is going to go fast so pay attention.

I finished Victor McGlothin's new novel, The Secret of Newberry and was very impressed with it. I had put McGlothin in the U-go-girl group of authors and paid him no mind. After reading the novella compilation he did with J.D. Mason, I decided to give him a try and I'm glad I did. The novel comes out in June so be on the look out for it.

I read Madison Smartt Bell's Devil's Dream, a novel about the Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest. Now this is a book for your nerves! Although I have to admit that if I had known that the book was about a Confederate general, I would not have picked it up. It's an awesome book. I got caught up. I didn't realize that Bell had it going on like that, so I got his Haitian trilogy and am looking forward to getting into it later in the summer.

I came across a small history book titled Moses and the Monster and Miss Anne by Carole C. Marks. In the title Moses is of course Harriet Tubman, Miss Anne is a woman named Anna Ella Carroll, and the Monster is Patty Cannon. My interest was piqued when I read the summary and learned that Patty Cannon kidnap free blacks and sold them into slavery down South. Yeah, that's evil as all hell. Naturally, I had to find out what's what. It's a good little book.

I checked out The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow. I can see why this book is getting all of the praises!! It's remarkable!

Another remarkable book is Powder Necklace by Nana Ekua Bree-Hammond. This novel centers around a 14 years old girl who is shipped to her parents native country of Ghana, where she doesn't speak the language or know the culture because she was raised in London. Then when her trifling mother gets another wild hair up her butt, she sends for the girl, Lila, to come back home. And then when Lila finally gets settled in again, the mama ships her off to New York City to live with her father, who Lila can not remember and only knows through sparadic long distance phone calls. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel. Check it out if you can.

I most recently finished Black Water Rising by Attica Locke. I wasn't blown away by it! The story would have been fantastic if the editor had taken a pair of shears to it. It's one of those types of mysteries that they call literary mysteries. I usually associate literary mysteries with those of British writers. Those writers still write in the same fashion as Jane Austen or Charles Dickens when letter writing was in vogue and reading was considered high-toned and ranked high as a form of entertainment. Which, in my opinion is another way of making a story boring as all Hell because the author puts everything under the sun in the story. How can I put this...it is evident that Locke studied at the Elizabeth George-Stephen Carter School of Writing!

I picked up a book at a bookstore $2-$3 Book Sale titled gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson. I got it because the summary said that it was about a white woman who committed a murder when she was a teenager back home in Alabama and she made a bargain with God if He let her get away with it. 10 years after leaving home, she figures God broke the bargain when the murdered man's ex-girlfriend is at her door, kneeing her black boyfriend in the crotch. So, she heads back home to Alabama, with her black boyfriend, to visit her crazy ass family and finally get to the bottom of the murder. It's a good read. I had fun with it.

Now, I'm in the middle of Glorious by Bernice McFadden. Lord, you all don't know how much I love McFadden. I just started Glorious and am halfway through it. If this book finishes as good as it started, I may have to send McFadden a check to help out with her mortgage payment for the month!

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading The Black Sleuth by John Edward Bruce labeled as “one of the earliest African American fictional works to depict a black detective.” It was published in serial form between 1907 and 1909 in McGirt’s Magazine. Unfortunately, just when I was really getting into the mystery – the book ended. Unfinished. Apparently the book was put together from microfilm of the McGirt’s Magazine but the magazine ceased publication before the end of the story.

Anyway, one of the things I found interesting in the book was imagining 1907 white folks’ reaction to some of the things Bruce writes such as:

“We Africans, I must here add, associate the white man with the prince of evil and all that is wicked and bad.”

and

“It is no compliment to the Negro to tell him that he is as good as a white man, for that presupposes that the white man is a superior being which is not true.”

What’s even more sadly interesting is these sayings are still true today. 100 years later. Sigh.

Oh well. Doing a little research on the McGirt’s Magazine I came across The Magazine Novels of Pauline Hopkins, writer of another early AA detective story, Hagar’s Daughter. I’ve tracked it down at the library and will pick it up [all 600+ pages] shortly.

This made my day! I get on the bus and a little girl of about 6 or 7 is sitting there reading a little book. I pulled out my book and said to her “I’m reading too” and she and her mother both gave me a smile. I saw her again the next day reading a different book and when I pulled out my different book I said “wow, we’re pretty fast readers”. She got the biggest grin on her face. Made my day! It’s the little things people . . .

Crystal

How interesting and heartwarming, Crystal! 'Can always depend on you to bring a breath of fresh air to the board.

Coincidentally, I just read an obituary which appeared in the Chicago Sun-Times announcing the death of Eleanor Taylor Bland at age 65. She was a black mystery writer who enjoyed modest success for her series of books that followed the exploits of Marti MacAlister, a black homicide detective.

A resident of Waukegan, Illinois, Ms. Bland was considered a pioneer in the black "whodunit" genre, and a student of criminal justice. According to the article, her books were very well-received and her writing style praised for its conciseness and clarity.

I had heard of this author but never read any of her novels. Maybe I will check them out.

Thanks Cynique! I read a couple of Ms. Bland's books quite a while back. I need to add more of her books to my list. You should give her a look-see. I'm sorry to hear of her passing at such a 'young' age.

Re: the John Edward Bruce book - I forgot to mention that the introduction [i forgot who wrote it] was interesting in itself. Bruce was a contemporary of Booker Washington but not a fan. He thought that an institution like Tuskegee was one of the reasons the poor white class developed such a hatred of black folks instead of just the disregard they had during slavery. Washington was teaching us to take over those people's jobs! The nerve of those uppity Negroes! Lots of tidbits in the intro for historical/literary fans.

Just in the library and picked up Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende [i think it was mentioned earlier in this post] and Mosley's Known to Evil. Alas, it ain't Easy. <_<

Crystal

Hello All,

Crystal: What a nice little story about the little girl on the bus! *smile* Right now, I'm reading Mosley's The Long Fall and I'm going to follow it up with Known To Evil. I've decided to catch up on a few series this summer. Lately I've been completely mesmerized by the big Barnes and Nobles we now have in Indianapolis. I can only afford to shop in the clearance section, which is huge BTW. I picked up the first two installment of Eric Jerome Dickey's Gideon series, so I'm going to start those next. Then I'm off to the Pharaoh Love books, and finally I'm getting myself mentally prepared to tackle Ralph Ellison's Three Days Before the Shooting cause its a BAB!