What is everyone reading?

I just finished my book club's selection for this month and found it to be a fairly decent read. It is entitled "The Lie" and was written by O.H. Bennett.

What I found engrossing about this novel was its perspective. Instead of being a time-worn tale about the dire consequences that befall a black person unjustly accused of a crime against someone white, this story deals with the ramifications of what happens when a white person is accused by a black person of a crime which he didn't commit.

A small town is the setting for an uprising in the black community where mob action threatens to avenge the murder of a young black man. But the circumstance inciting this reaction are all the result of a lie. A lie is a lie is a lie. A lie knows no color and it does not discriminate when it comes to wreaking havoc and inflaming injustice. Truth is the only thing that can redeem a liar and rectify a crime against humanity, and that's what this book is all about.

• 1 month later...

I’m going old school this summer. I’m reading All-Night Visitors by Clarence Major. Somebody should have warned me! I have to be careful who’s sitting behind me when I’m reading this on the bus. Wouldn’t want anybody to think I’m a dirty ole woman. This fool spent 8 pages describing one particular act. 8 pages!

I also read Sarah Phillips by Andrea Lee. Both of these books are in my time zone so I could relate. More to Sarah than Eli.

Hey Thumper – I’m thinking of giving your boy F. Scott Fitzgerald a play during my winter wonderland reading.

Crystal

I’m going old school this summer. I’m reading All-Night Visitors by Clarence Major. Somebody should have warned me! I have to be careful who’s sitting behind me when I’m reading this on the bus. Wouldn’t want anybody to think I’m a dirty ole woman. This fool spent 8 pages describing one particular act. 8 pages!

I also read Sarah Phillips by Andrea Lee. Both of these books are in my time zone so I could relate. More to Sarah than Eli.

Hey Thumper – I’m thinking of giving your boy F. Scott Fitzgerald a play during my winter wonderland reading.

Crystal

F. Scott stinks save for "The Crackup" and "The Great Gatsby"

Guest Angela

Just completed The Other Wes Moore, Powder Necklace, and now rereading Pearl Cleage's Until You Hear from Me for my book club meeting on Saturday. Read Jewell Parker Rhodes' first children's book Ninth Ward in one day--absolutely loved it!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just read a really interesting book called 'A British Nigerian Deadbeat in Cincinnati' by Charles Chuka Aniagolu. It's actually based on a true story. I remember when this story was splashed across the news several years ago claiming that this fellow was the worst deadbeat dad in America. So it's fascinating to learn what was actually going on behind the scenes with the mother lying to the courts and the crazy politics and shenagans of the Hamilton County Council. Shocking and really scarey for innocent folks that the justice system in America is like this.

Hello All,

Crystal: I totally understand. *big smile*

All: I am in the middle of my winter wonderland reading vacation. I finished two Artemis Fowl novels, which were wonderful as all hell!! I love the Artemis Fowl series better than Harry Potter. I got one more novel in the series to read and then I'm all caught up. The other day I finished up The Devil in The White City by Erik Larson. This book was fantastic. It's the story of the 1893 Chicago World Fair and the story of America's first serial killer Dr. H.H. Holmes, who used the fair to draw in some of his victims. I loved it!! Right now, I'm reading The Maltese Falcon by Dahiell Hammett, which is turning out to be a fascinating read. The Humphrey Bogart movie version sticks real close to the book. I'm in the middle of it, so I'll let you know how it goes

Having fulfilled my winter wonderland obligation, I have now embarked on a new journey through a 500+ page nonfiction documentary.

The snow-covered novel was an equally-long mystery thriller entitled “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.” One reason I was drawn to it was because of its back story. It was the first in a trilogy that followed the adventures of an affable middle-aged journalist and an enigmatic young woman best described as a cross between a biker babe and a Goth priestess who doubled as a computer hacker. The Author of this novel which was translated into English from Swedish was Stieg Larsson, and just as his 3-book series that centered around these 2 characters began to soar up the best-seller lists he died of a massive heart attack at the age of 49, leaving his survivors to quarrel over his million dollar estate… Talk about literary irony.

This book was compelling enough for me to stick with because I wanted to see how it ended, and the writing style had a good flow, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. Since “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” is being made into a film starring Daniel Craig, the actor who is the current incarnation of James Bond, you might want to just wait for the movie to come out.

The second book which I have just started and am already immensely impressed with is entitled “The Warmth of Other Suns” and is written by Isabel Wilkerson. This book chronicles the period between 1915 and 1970 during which time Blacks began leaving the rural south to seek better lives in the great Northern metropolises, and is a era otherwise known as “the great migration”. I will give a report when I complete it.

Sounds like there’s some good reading going on! I’ve taken an eastern detour in my winter wonderland reading. I’m reading Out by Natuo Kirino. Set in current Japan in a seedy part of Tokyo involving 4 women working the night shift in a food factory. It’s a ridiculous murder mystery where the mystery isn’t whodunit but will they get away with it. Several fun twists. Seems I’ve gone back to my habit [i won’t say bad habit because it works for me :P ] of reading the ending to see who’s left so I know at least one of them got away but it’ll be interesting to see who doesn’t and what happens to the others.

I’m out of touch with the literature they are teaching in schools now but I think if students could read stories from all over the world they’d recognize how much the same we all are. No good abusive husbands/skanky wives/long suffering wives/nosey neighbors/ungrateful children/crooks/sicko’s: all the same. Bigotry is the same too. Apparently after the war a lot of Japanese folks left Japan looking for work and ended up all over South America. Guess how their mixed offspring are treated when they go back to the ‘motherland’? Sigh.

Thumper, I finished Gatsby. Not a fan. Everybody got on my nerves and I was glad when it ended.

Crystal

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently reading Ralph Ellison In Progress by Adam Bradley, coeditor of Three Days....I am also rereading David Anthony Durham's Gabriel's Story for a book club. I have recently read Toni Morrison's A Mercy for the One Book, One Chicago program. Also reading or recently finished Thelonious Monk: An American Original By Robin Kelley; I Walked With Giants The autobiography of Jimmy Heath ( saxophonist, composer-arranger & educator);Ishmael Reed's Barack Obama & The Jim Crow Media; The Friends Of Eddie Coyle by George Higgins; Jabari Asim's book of short stories A Taste Of Honey; Peter Akinti's novel of African emigrants in London, Forest Gate; Chinua Achebe's recent book of essays; That Thing Around Your Neck, short stories by a young Nigerian writer (I can't remember her name); a recent graphic novel featuring Luke Cage Marvel Comics "Hero for Hire" in a completely new hard boiled setting, 1920's New York; The Best African American Essays Of 2010; and at the suggestion of my 14 year old son Aliens: Berserker,from a series of books based on the Aliens movie.

• 5 weeks later...

The Grace of Silence by Michele Norris. The author weaves a compelling portrayal of quiet dignity and strength personified in both her parents. In the process, she reveals her own transformation and reminds of the sacrifice and hope of ancestors. An excerpt from the conclusion of the introduction reads "Our parents felt we needed to know only so much. No time for tears. No yearning for sympathy. You see, you can't keep your eye on the prize if your sight is clouded by tears. How can you soar if you're freighted down by the anger of your ancestors?". Though this memoir contains a few very short lapses of unexciting detail, overall it is topically compelling and many will find it easy to relate.

In His Own Voice: The Dramatic and Other Uncollected Works of Paul Laurence Dunbar by Paul Laurence Dunbar. Rare collection from some of his lesser known works.

The Strategic President: Persuasion and Opportunity in Presidential Leadership by George C. Edwards III. An historical analysis of results-oriented presidential leadership.

• 2 weeks later...

The Derrick Bell Reader

In other reading, I came across a reference to his essay, "The Constitutional Contradiction." Sounded interesting, so I Googled him and learned he was a real warrior in the school desegregation movement. His views -- especially his argument that whites only grant blacks rights when it doesn't threaten white privilege -- sounded like they would definitely be new intellectual territory for me, so I got the book. So far, I've just read the above-mentioned essay, which deals with the fact that the founding fathers made a deal with the devil (slavery) to get a government agreed to. This is one of several essays, apparently, in which Bell employs a signature narrative-fiction style rather than a scholarly approach. He constructs his essay as a sort of science fiction story, in which a black woman travels back in time to the Constitutional Convention to reprove the delegates -- all the while protected from the wrath of the Southerners by a shining force field. That's hokey enough that it was a distraction from the issues. Plenty more to read in this book, and I'm looking forward to it.

Check it out here.

0814719694.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I’m reading some old 1930’s books by Jessie Fauset. I finished The Chinaberry Tree – loved it. I’m reading Comedy American Style right now. Wow, I haven’t come across a bitch like this woman since King Tremaine’s low-down-dirty-wife! This story is a perfect example of ‘sticks and stones may break your bones but words can ruin your life’ and your husband’s life, your children’s life, etc. Check these stories out if you get a chance.

Black Mamba Boy – Nadifa Mohamed – set in 1935 Yemen and follows a young orphan boy through WW2. Another historical novel from the perspective of a young black boy living/traveling in the middle east.

Tempted by Trouble – Eric Jerome Dickey. About bank robbers. Yes, I actually finished it. :P Not because it was good but I just wanted to see how he would end it. Still not a fan. The writing seems to have been dumbed down. The woman I borrowed it from hated it and didn't finish it.

Secret Daughter – Shilpi Somaya Gowda. Adoption Indian style.

Crystal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finished Some Sing, Some Cry [Hey LiLi!] by sisters Ntozake Shange and Ifa Bayeza – story of the Mayfield family in Charleston, South Carolina from end of slavery to 21st century. Loved It! While stories of our history are very hard to read the writing in this one was so beautiful. Characters come to life in a couple of sentences. We know these people. I recommend it.

I took my winter wonderland break with a sci-fi series written by L. Timmel Duchamp. The series is called the Marq'ssan Cycle and begins in 2075 when female aliens come to earth to straighten us out before we do something so bad it will affect the rest of the universe. They knock out all of the earth’s electronic power and we were all up that proverbial creek without cell phones and computers. There are 5 books in the series each 500+ pages. Although I guess it’s technically sci-fi because of the aliens and futuristic stuff, it really isn’t a sci-fi’ish story. More a story of how we handle things.

So, how’s the summer reading coming?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Terry McMillan’s Getting to Happy. My obligatory summer drama read. I’m definitely done with Savannah and ‘em now. McMillan’s picture on the back cover with her ‘yeah you all know all my personal drama – what can I say’ look is funny.

Crystal

Thanks Cynique. That’s quite a compliment! Unfortunately there are no stories floating abound in my head wishing to break free. Guess I don’t have much of an imagination. Luckily there’s a whole bunch of other folks that do so I just live vicariously through their stories. Including yours.

Crystal

Just started Liberty Defined: 50 Essential Issues That Affect Our Freedom by Ron Paul.

Keeps me aware of the latest swill.

Granted, it is difficult to read or listen to the views of those trumpeting the virtues of "the good old days".

I've argued and debated with those who espouse the varying views of the likes of Pat Buchanan, Ron Paul, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

I most recently read Think and Grow Rich - A Black Choice by Dr. Dennis Kimbro. Even though the book was released years ago this is my first time reading it. I had already Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill, so I was curious about Bro. Kimbro's approach to the classic book.

Kimbro drops some nice gems in the book. One of my favorite quotes from the book is this:

"The average person stumbles upon at least four ideas a year, any of which, if it were acted upon, might render vast wealth."

I'm reading Red Tail Heart: The Life & Love of a Tuskegee Airman. It's historical fiction and romance. With George Lucas' movie about the Tuskegee Airman due out in January, I thought this book would be a good companion read. So far, so great! There haven't been too many great African-American male characters in fiction lately (at least ones likely to endure for generations). Roy Lankster, the Airman and central character in Red Tail Heart, may just be the one. B&N reader reviews have described the book as life changing. I'll see if I agree.

OSK

• 2 weeks later...

51fBHpLiDHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg Angela is a renowned assassin "only" known by the name "the Teflon Queen". Her lethal grace, steady shot, and unmatched accuracy have made her the absolute best and most sought after killer in the game. But when the killer without a conscience is faced with an unknown emotion.... LOVE. Her whole perception is thrown off course and in a profession where second guessing can mean life or death ....will the queen reign supreme or be overthrown?

Kindle Edition Now Availalbe

http://www.amazon.com/The-Teflon-Queen-ebook/dp/B005WE12B0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318843006&sr=8-2

• 2 weeks later...

London's Secret by sexy vixen author Ella Roberts is a supernatural adventure thriller tipped to be the next Harry Potter: it's short, it's explosive and it ends on a cliffhanger. Ella tells the story chapter-by-chapter on Youtube.com/TheRunLondonsSecret or you can read the e-book FREE at LondonsSecret.blogspot.com - spread the word!!!

• 1 month later...

Troy – thanks for the Pessimistic Reading List in your newsletter. I’ve read The Night Manager by John le Carre and The Attack by Yasmina Khadra from the list. The Night Manager is a spy story which I try to avoid for exactly the reason this book is on the list. I don’t want to read about all the bad stuff the so-called ‘good guys’ are doing in the name of patriotism. Still, the main character is interesting. He’s an English spy trying to stop ‘the worst man in the world’, an arms dealer, because he’s done his woman wrong. Steal a bunch of guns, sell them to some third-world baddies for a lot of money and live the rich life. Sound familiar?

I really enjoyed The Attack. I found it thought provoking with parallels with our own Black in the Land of White story. It’s the story of a suicide bombing in Tel Aviv. Although the blurb says it’s a balanced novel it is definitely pro-Palestinian to me. What a mess they’ve got going on over there! On the storyline - ole boy didn’t know his wife at all. Here he is walking around with his head in the middle-class, suburban clouds thinking everything was cool and he was in tight with the Jews and then BOOM [pun intended]. Then he finds out what his own people really think of him. Poor thing was clueless because he went around with his nose either up in the air or up his own butt.

Crystal

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading "The Trifling Times of Nathan Jones" by Moses Miller. It was on the best seller list on amazon. It's about two boys who were both orphaned on the same night due to a tragic event at the hands of a crazed drug addict. Their lives go in two different directions and the main character has to embark on the fight of his life, using his talents in martial arts, to protect those that he loves.

The book is fast paced with lots of action. I enjoyed the read, although there were times when I felt the descriptive language was repetitive. I found myself thinking, "If a bullet 'whizzes' past this guy's head one more time..."

I also started reading it without realizing that it was the first in a series. I was so mad when the book abruptly ended that I wanted to stab something with a plastic fork. :angry: I don't do too well with sequels. I have the attention span of a gnat. Nevertheless, it was a good book filled with fight scenes, romance, and vividly interesting characters.

Now that I've gotten my "fix" of drama and chaos, I'm going to try "One Drop..." by Bliss Broyard next. Someone mentioned it on this post and I read the synopsis. I think I'll give it a go. :)

p.s. I'm also waiting for my order of "Go the F*** to Sleep" by Adam Mansbach (which was recommended on another post) so that I can get my comedy fix on. :D

In the middle of reading Life is Short but Wide by J. California Cooper. Multi-generational novel that starts in the Depression. Haven't read one of her works in a while; like reconnecting with an old friend.

Also reading The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. Picked this book up from a co-worker. Engaging historical novel about the battles for the British monarchy in the 15th Century.

First book of the New Year will be I Dreamt I Was in Heaven by Leonce Gaiter. Got it after reading a review on AALBC. Another historical novel about a little-known piece of history--the multi-racial Rufus Buck Gang in the American West. Looking forward to reading that.

I'm reading "Black Orchid Blues," by Persia Walker. The opening page hooked me and made me laugh.

She was describing West 133rd Street between Seventh and Lenox Ave and the *character* of the streets.

"Only a few weeks earlier two cops had gotten into a drunken brawl...one black, one white...They'd pulled out their pistols and shot each other

I knew I was in for a fun ride in NYC during the Renaissance era.

Most of the story is narrated by the reporter who witnessed a shoot-out and kidnapping in a nigt club. The person kidnapped is the club's transvestite entertainer. If you have problems with lifestyles you may not like this novel. I think it done with exceptional writing.

Minnie E Miller

http://www.millerscribs.com

I'm also reading "Buying Time," by Pamela Samuels Young. I'm not too far into this one, but a brief synopsis says it's about greed, blackmail and murder. BTW, Ms. Young is an attorney. It works for me.

The Family Business Book Trailer.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZRPNEp0mvjU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZRPNEp0mvjU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

@IamCarlWeber

the-family-business-VcopyAD-6-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished reading "Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery...Arkansas Narratives, Part 7" and I was completely drawn in by this book.

I didn't read it all in one sitting. Rather, I read it over the course of about four-six weeks. I read it in between other books and other projects. Sometimes I would read two passages and then have to put it down for a couple of days. Other times I would read on and on for hours. I noticed that I read slowly. I found myself stopping and imagining...

The more I read the more I began to piece together a picture of what slavery and reconstruction times were like for those who were in the thick of it. Sometimes I laughed and other times I cried. Still other times I just got downright disgusted and angry and didn't even want to read further.

Needless to say, this book sent me on an emotional roller coaster ride - and I'm not even sure if I'm off. I still feel a little rocky.

I think everyone should read at least one of these narrative volumes. There are several out there. I kind of stumbled upon Part 7 of the Arkansas Narratives, but it worked out well and it peaked my curiosity because all of my family is from Arkansas, and that's where I was born. I found myself scouring the pages for a "master" bearing my maiden name. Aint that some mess? Like what good is it going to do me to know about the owner of my ancesters? As I neared the end of the book it hit home that I will likely never know my people's real last name...If I wanted to research this thing, all I could hope to find is the owner's name. And that kicked off a whole slew of emotions and questions...."Well what does it matter? Why should I care? What's in a name anyway? Even if I knew my people's real last name, would I feel more complete? Would I?" I don't know.

So anyway, I totally got lost in this book. As you can see, I'm rambling. Whew! Mindblowing.

Five stars out of Five is my vote.

Interesting, writergirl. You are certainly a welcome contributor to the aalbc forum, particularly because you give a personal touch to the posts wherein you express yourself so well. Slavery was such a blemish on America's history, wasn't it?

It was recently called to my attention that conspicuous in its absence from the 10 Comandments is the forbidding of one person keeping another one in bondage. This kind of begs the question as to where Americans of West African descent would be today if there had been no slave trade. It's like slavery was all a part of grand plan that went wrong. Too bad our forefathers could not have immigrated to the Promised Land the way Europeans did. Too bad also that being indentured sevants was not an option for them. Then maybe there wouldn't be this slavery hang-over that contributes to the negative things about our present life style and its mentality. What doesn't kill you has been touted as being that which makes you stronger. Slavery didn't kill its survivors, and while this may have something to do with making Blacks stronger, it also played a part in damaging our spirit.