AALBC mourns the passing of J. California Cooper

Troy

j.htm24.jpg

AALBC mourns the passing of J. California Cooper:  EBONY.com reports that she transitioned in Seattle, Washington, on September 20th 2014

Cooper was a great story teller.  The last time I saw her was in 2009 this photo was taken a maybe a year or two earlier at the National Book Club Conference.

I shot this video of her where she described a new book she was working on.  As far as I know the book was never published, but this was also around the time when Black authors were beginning to see a reduction on book deals.

Here is the video

Strange.  The only indication that I can find on the net is a small mention in Ebony Magazine--not a single news story.  

I was thinking, this weekend, when I learned about Joe Sample's passing which happened almost two weeks earlier on the 12th.  How sad it is that we no longer have any platforms to share information important to the community.  Well actually the problem is we simply don't support our platforms.  

Copper's passing is news worthy, but who is willing to fund the coverage?  Even Ebony's coverage though better than nothing was too short to do the writer justice.  Plus it appears Ebony lifted a photo from my website, in any event they did not bother to credit the source.  Sometimes Ebony seems to bend over backward not to support another Black owned website (but I digress...).

I will never understand our people.

I will miss J. California Cooper's voice and wisdom.