Oh the humanity! Why is Tavis on Dancing with the Stars!?

Oh the humanity!  Why, Tavis why!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6COpmxyEA0A

When did the brother get so fat?  

OK if they offered me money to prance around in a wig, I probably do it too, but I don't have any money.  

But if I were a Tavis Smiley there is no way in hell I would do this unless I really needed money.

It has simply been fascinating watching Al Sharpton go from Morton Downey to the White House while Tavis goes from respected journalist to Dancing with the Stars.

Then again who ever thought Bill Cosby would be accused of rape by 15 different women.

I guess he's attempting to lose weight Troy. Dancing is an incredible workout, lol. Seriously, he can't be taken seriously as a journalist if he dances? Hmmm, I don't know. Dancing doesn't diminish his ability to write or report, does it undermine his credibility to Black folks? Probably not. I didn't even know he was doing this until you posted. I tend to think Dancing is more of a "their" reality tv show. I've never watched a season and I don't know anyone who has. Let the brother get a check, HA.

Chris I did not know he was doing this until after it was all over.  Once I heard about it, my curiosity got the best of me.  The video above and one other are the only two I've watched of the program.  

Again, as I suggested in the other post, clearly represents Tavis Smiley's jumping the shark moment.  

No I don't view him as seriously as I once did.  And no I can't blame hm for getting a check.  Though if I were prominent enough to be asked I definitely would not do it unless I was hard up for cash--even then I would seriously consider it.

My focus on Tavis, as of late, has been on learning the status of his publishing company, Smileybooks.  I put a lot of effort into promoting that business. and attended the launch party.  Today I can't get anyone to tell me what happened to the business.  Tavis has not replied to my email.  Perhaps he is too busy dancing with the stars.

OK maybe I should not be joking about Tavis so much.  

Well, guys, this is where I come in.  While you 2 are  blocking out all the frivolous news, more focused on the unsung of Rapdom, your pop culture vulture - that would be me - keeps an eye, albeit a jaundiced one, on what is currently happening in the kaleidiscopic world of plastic icons.

Dancing with the Stars draws its contestants from all areas of the media, and its competition features a cross-section of old, young, multi-ethnic, wanna-be or has-been second-tier celebs from TV, Hollywood, the recording industry,Olympic and pro-sports venues, and, yes, - journalists with a ham streak.  Anxious to show off their skills doing Tangos,Cha-Chas, Rhumbas, Fox trots, Waltzes and "jive" dancing, participants strive to earn good scores from 4 judges and phoned-in viewer votes.   One  of this season's favorites was stoner Tommy Chong of Cheech and Chong fame, who did a credible job of "cuttin' the rug".  Favored to take the trophy in next week's finals is Carleton from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, (Alfonso, Ribero).

Apparently being on the show does no damage to one's professional resume, and can even earn entrants admration for being a good sport while doin' their best.  It is, after all, a fun show. And it does pay well. 

Tavis' lack of success was inflicted by his own smug attitude. He was miffed when comic Jimmy Kimmel predicted he would be an early exit, and Tavis vowed to prove him wrong.  But his exhibitions of stilted mediocrity were unimpressive, and he was quickly given the boot, subsequently griping that being on tour for his newly-released book didn't give him enough time to practice.  Maybe he will now empathize more with Obama.

I am not an avid fan of this show. I check it out from time to time because watching eager beavers make fools of themselves provides some comic relief from the drama and tragedy of what's going on in the serious world.

• Like 1

I don't think the producers of Dancing With The Stars, would invite Obama to appear on the show.  I, personally, think his doing so would be beneathe his dignity.  To me Tavis Smiley, does not fit my idea of a distinguished journalist. He's just a-run-of-the-mill political pundit full of hot air.

The producers of the show would absolutely have Obama if he would show up.  The rating would go through the roof!

I agree the show would be beneath Obama's dignity.  Tavis, in his prime, was arguably the most distinguished Black journalist we had.  I thought dancing with the stars was beneath Tavis, but obviously I was wrong.  

Lol at the culture vulture... Is that hip-hop inspired? Lol, I agree with Cynique on Smiley. He is simply another guy with a platform that is often underutilized and without a real focus. His covenant was a good idea, but ultimately stalled probably like his book company. Dancing doesn't hurt him as he doesn't really stand for much anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cynique, OK I'll cut Tavis some slack, as I did not appreciate the nature of the program.  Thanks for that.

If Barack Obama, after he was out of office for a few years, went on the show as a contestant; how would you feel about that?

For the sake of humanity AND every animal from ALL endangered species, PLEASE don't even make us think about this! Oh my goodness. Have you seen him dance?? :-/ Some of us would be lookin at this like, "Unt-uh, that right there don't come from OUR side!"

• Like 1