aalbc's founder said, "I really enjoyed Tyler Perry's last film.

I visited a web site called Shadow and Act. It bills itself as On Media Of The Afican Diasporia - Empahasis On Cinema.

It's one of my favorite places to get the real low down on black cinema. http://www.shadowandact.com/

Today they highlighted Tyler Perry's trip to the UK to promote his last film. Janet Jackson went with him.

Now, I remember my man Troy say this film was the best he has seen from Mr Perry, and he enjoyed it. Well, I want to tell Troy to turn his underwear back around because this flim was a chick flick with a capital Ceeshy!

Look, strip Tyler Perry of that wig and his grandma dress, and there's nothing left. The boy does not possess one iota of acting skills. The plot was a farce and the script was no better.

There was no chemistry between the actors, which by the way, was another 10 toes down. Who chose these people to play opposite each other? I know we can't choose someones mate but come on, Lamman Rucker from Meet The Browns and Jill Scott? But wait, how about Louis Gossett Jr, and Cicely Tyson? How would you like to see a tender exchange of their lips? Don't get me wrong, although I've never been a big fan of Lou Gossett, he's one of the saving graces of this poorly written screenplay.

I am going to write a review of this movie but first, check out this lovely screen.

Janet Jackson has just lost her damn mind. Her and her guy (malik Yoba) are having some problems. So, although Janet is a phycologist (yeah, Janet Jackson is a doctor) she can't control her emotions. Since Janet is the primary bread winner, ol'boy wants equal rights. I mean, upon separation he wants part of her loot. When Janet hears his demands, she sends him a birthday gift. It's a lovely 10ft cake adorned with the most beautiful ribbons and bows. Now, I was thinking she was waving a white flag of agreement. See, the cake arrived at her husbands place of employment. But lord have mercy, the top popped on that cake and out jumped a naked transvestite. Then Janet shows up calling her husband all kinds of punks and Mfers. I'm talkin' right in front of his co-workers.

If that wasn't enough, I can't wait to tell you about the mad-camp-ness of Michael Jai White and his wife, crazy butt Tasha Smith. This wouldn't be a Tyler Perry film without a black women shooting a pistol and showing her a$$ like a wild bangladesh monkey.

SMH!

Guest Nubianpoet

I just saw "Precious" on Netflix. Glad I didn't spend big bucks at the box office.

Half the time I couldn't understand what she was saying! This could have been "a made for tv." IMHO, peace.

Next in my queue is: 30 Rock, the series! Someone hipped me to it while I was in Jersey. :P

Also, saw a Tracey Morgan Show marathon this weekend. Kat Williams needs his OWN show, he is 2 funny!!! :P

Let Lebron, my homeboy go to Miami or Chicago, OR stay where he is, since that got a new coach!!! :lol:

I think I was able to enjoy the last Perry flick 'cause I checked my brain at the door plus, on some levels it was better than his previous efforts...

If you go into a Perry flick looking for something of depth, socially conscious or requiring a brain you’ll be sadly disappointed.

I too could sit here and poke all kinda holes in Perry’s films; internally inconsistent characters, unbelievable situations and so on. It would be like going to see Iron Man and then complaining that the movie sucked because of the impossibility of Stark pulling an iron suit out of a briefcase which allows him to fly faster than sound, and repel bullets.

At some level you have to suspend disbelief, relax, and try enjoy too yourself. Otherwise Chris, go to the museum.

The website http://www.shadowandact.com/ is pretty cool!

At some level you have to suspend disbelief, relax, and try enjoy too yourself. Otherwise Chris, go to the museum.

(Just relax and enjoy the rape, eh?

I have a better idea--

When you know it's that kind of thing--stay away from the theater.

Life is too short to devote time to that trash Hollyweird is spewing out

"It would be like going to see Iron Man and then complaining that the movie sucked because of the impossibility of Stark pulling an iron suit out of a briefcase which allows him to fly faster than sound, and repel bullets.

At some level you have to suspend disbelief, relax, and try enjoy too yourself., relax, and try enjoy too yourself"

No Troy, I don't believe that's correct. From the jump, Iron man is a comic book character. Therefore, our "belief" is set. Now, how would you classify Perry's films? I mean, each one (other than Madea) has a different theme.

Are you saying we shouldn't require a quality product regardless of its genre/topic/classification. Besides, what was "married too", a comedy, a drama, a joke or what?

"At some level you have to suspend disbelief, relax, and try enjoy too yourself"

You're right about that, but at what point would that be? I can't believe I let you convince me to see this movie. AND, I was with another AALBC alumni. Yep, we were cussing you as we struggled through this farce. Okay, we didn't cuss you *smile* but on the next rip I'm going to listen to Chris. You owe me about 50 bucks for that date rolleyes.gif

Carey, while bookfan caught your "error". The rest of us know you play fast and loose with the truth to make a point, and ignored the "exaggeration".

I don't recall ever recommending any Tyler Perry flcik, certainly not without reservations and definitely not to another dude. I would recommended it for a date (with a woman).

Carey you have to know going in that Tyler Perry has a formula. Part of it is outrageous, unebelieavle drama that is a given. If you can start with the premise, like flying iron men, then don't go to see the movie. If however you are coll with it, you'll probably have a good time.

There were people who could not enjoy the Cosby show, because they could not get past a Black doctor, being happily married to a Black Attorney with five intelligent, well adjusted children.

[Carey]The rest of us know you play fast and loose with the truth to make a point, and ignored the "exaggeration".

Well Troy, I think It's time I take the 5th. But look, I have to admit that I knew going in that it was a Tyler Perry flick, and you're right, why should I expect anything different. I just couldn't resist giving you a little S***.

"I would recommended it for a date (with a woman)."

Yep, and that's what got my dumb a** in the movie. Really, I was with one of AALBC's finest. We had a good time.

Tomorrow I am off to the Goodman Theater in Chicago. The play Cynique recommended has it's final performance on Sunday. So, I am going to check it out. But See, you owe me fifty bucks for your "lead" on Tyler Perry and I hope I don't have to knock on Cyniques door.

There were people who could not enjoy the Cosby show, because they could not get past a Black doctor, being happily married to a Black Attorney with five intelligent, well adjusted children.

(This is utter bull. That was the top show on TV for many years running. Anybody who did not enjoy it for those reasons was statistically insignificant.

Maybe they could not enjoy it because after so long, it was not funny no mo. All Bill endlessly mugging while his stooges stood around smiling idiotically at his foolery.

After a while I started watching "The Simpsons" instead.

Chris, it is not utter bull -- it is a fact. I've personally talk to people who felt this way. I never said these folks were in the majority, but statistically insignificant -- I don't know I don't have the data.

Carey, $50 bucks! Where'd you see the movie, NYC?

Well Troy, a date is not complete without a good meal. You know how it goes... 50 bucks man biggrin.gif

See, I am letting you off the hook for the pop & popcorn, that's on me. Wait, you New Yorkers might call them sodas.

Now keep talking. Lets see, 50$ plus 2 sodas @ 5$ = 10$ Plus 1 large popcorn @ 5$. *click click ding ding* SIXTY FIVE DOLLARS!