Sign in to follow this  
CDBurns

Michael Chabon's annotation of Kendrick Lamar's "The Blacker the berry"

I am certain this should be under the literature section, but it fits both sections. Pulitzer Price winning author Chabon does an analysis of a song Lamar released yesterday. Powerful stuff. Check it out: http://genius.com/4869098/Kendrick-lamar-the-blacker-the-berry/Been-feeling-this-way-since-i-was-16-came-to-my-senses-you-never-liked-us-anyway-fuck-your-friendship-i-meant-it-im-african-american-im-african-im-black-as-the-moon-heritage-of-a-small-village

• Thanks 1

I finally got around to checking this out.  I'd seen this site before, stumbling across it looking for song lyrics.

The interesting thing about his notes is, like poetry (or anything said or done), people bring their own interpretations.  It does not mean that Chabon is right or wrong.  It just means that Lamar lyrics are open to interpretation (which of course is the point). 

As plain as Lamarr lyrics were, I did not agree completely with Chabon's interpretation.  I also saw a mistakes in the lyrics (though they don't materially impact the meaning).

I get the impression both Chabon and the person who transcribed the lyrics, are not Black.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this