Author Calls For Diversity in New Adult Literature

With the popularity of 50 Shades of Gray and the HBO series, Girls, the literary world is taking notice of a growing audience: young millennials just entering adulthood.  Attorney turned author, Faye McCray, has published a short story series, Dani's Belts, and a novel, Boyfriend, centering around this angst ridden time in a young person's life.

"I learned so much in my twenties," McCray said.  "Most of which was through painful mistakes. In your early twenties, you have one foot in adulthood and another still buried in your childhood.  It's fun to revisit the excitement of that time through my protagonists.  It's also cathartic to reflect on that familiar agony of realizing true adulthood and responsibility are much more difficult than any of us imagined."

Boyfriend is McCray's debut novel. It follows a young college student as he navigates, love, fidelity and escaping the painful truths of his past.  The book is an ambitious, original spin on the new adult genre.  It takes on the multicultural landscapes of Washington, D.C. and New York City while capturing the universal uncertainty, exploration and inevitable mistakes of entering adulthood. With a 5-star rating on Goodreads and Amazon, Boyfriend is proving to be well worth the read.

"My hope is that the publishing world takes notice," McCray said. "Millenials are diverse, eclectic and bold.  There are so many stories waiting to be told.  I'm really excited to contribute to expanding that voice."

You can find McCray's work on For Harriet, Black and Married with Kids, Madame Noire, Rachel in the OC, Black Girl Nerds, Graveyard Shift Sisters, and on her blog, www.fayemccray.com. In May 2015, Faye's work will also appear in the horror anthology, Anything But Zombies. Faye is a native New Yorker and current resident of the Washington, DC metropolitan area where she resides with her husband and two sons. Faye is currently working on her second novel.

• Like 1