The Killer Angels by MIchael Shaara

My wife took her class to Gettysburg, PA (know know the site of the bloodiest scenes in American history).  I would have loved to have taken this trip and will probably swing through there real soon.  At any rate, she brought me this book and I started reading it the other day.

It is turning out to be pretty good so I did a little research about the book and discovered to my surprise that it was published 40 years ago and won a Pulitzer Prize!  The book says "Winner of Pulitzer Prize" right on the cover, but I did not notice that.  

I chose to read this book because my wife said every who saw her with it raved about it.  That was good enough for be to dig in.  Plus it boggles my mind that so many men would so willingly walk into certain death for their version of "honor."  It was certainly a different time.  

Shaara wrote four novels before he died of a heart attack in 1988. His second novel, The Killer Angels, is considered by some readers and historians to be the best novel ever written about the Civil War. Rich in carefully researched historic detail, the book recreated the Battle of Gettysburg and won the Pulitzer Prize in 1975. History Channel

9780345348104_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG