Dumb sh-t on Black Twitter #RachelDolezal

"Woke up in Ghana to discover #RachelDolezal story and did what any reasonable and smart person would do. Checked out Black Twitter for the scoop, the hashtag, the trend. Black Twitter is a beast, a hilarious ninja that conjures, story-tells, commentates, speculates and makes the news really news. Got my entire life reading that hashtag!" --Esther Armah (journalist, authors, and filmmaker)

rachel.jpg

I never heard of Rachel Dolezal before this morning.  Esther's message was at the top of my Facebook wall when I went in to check my messages a few moments ago, so this was difficult to ignore.

As a practice, I try to ignore the stuff on my wall; (1) much of it is stuff like this, and (2) I'm on a mission to support indie sites with my online activity.  But this message interested me because Esther mentioned "Black Twitter."  Black Twitter is a phenomenon I don't quite understand... at any rate, my daughter a recent marketing grad, told me I should take advantage of Black Twitter for my website.  I asked her to tell me what to do it for me because, from my observations, I did not know what I could do, specifically, on Black Twitter, to help AALBC.com.  

So between Esther's comment and my daughter's recommendation, I decided to use this as an opportunity to check out "Black Twitter" again.  #RachelDolezal was indeed the top trending item.  Now I don't know if everyone on Twitter would see this or just the Black folks.  I read a few comments and was led to Gawker article where I found the YouTube videos below.

Now I appreciate Esther was not completely serious when she wrote that "...any reasonable and smart person..." would check out this story on Black Twitter.  Again I checked out the story (one I have almost zero interest in) because I wanted to better understand Black Twitter.

My conclusions regarding Black Twitter have remained unchanged, indeed have been reinforced.  Black Twitter, despite the name, does not serve Black people.  It helps enrich the likes of Twitter, and the so called news sources that propagate dumb shit like this.

Edited by Troy

I guess I should offer my comments on Rachel Dolezal since I went through the effort of aggregating this content.  Actually this took no effort because everyone was sharing the same stuff in the echo chamber that the WWW has become.

"Race" is an arbitrary construct, made up by white folks as a mechanism to justify and legitimize the dehumanization Black folks.  America's one drop rule makes it possible for anyone, regardless of physical appearance to be defined as Black.  Conversely people with Black ancestry can indeed "pass as white," because of their physical appearance.

Presumably, this is why the NAACP chapter in Spokane, WA had no problem electing Rachel as their leader.  

What makes Rachel any different, really, than Walter White (pictured below), who succeeded James Weldon Johnson, as executive secretary of the N.A.A.C.P.?

walter-white.gif

A significant portion of so called white people in America have Black ancestry, perhaps more that Walter White who I've read is 5/32 Black.  Look if a person like White is willing to give up white privilege, at a time when it truly was a benefit, and actively work to support Black people--God Bless him.

I would not be surprised if we found a Black person in Rachel's ancestry; this is America.   If we found that person would this this whole matter cease to be a "News" story?  Would Black Twitter to back to goofing on Iggy Azalea's hair?

Many think that Rachel has a mental problem.  I'm inclined to agree; what blond haired, blued eyed woman, in their right mind would become a Black activist, rising to the ranks of running an chapter of the NAACP.  

Is there any other organization careening to irrelevancy faster than the NAACP?

Edited by Troy

Walter White was different because his family was African American.  Both of his parents were born into slavery.  This probably influenced his choice to identify as a person of color. He used his appearance as an asset, allowing him to travel freely to the South.  The idea of who is Black or not is no longer determined by the 'one-drop rule', but that is not relevant in the case of Ms. Dolezal. Reports say that she misrepresented her adopted brother as her son, lied about her parents and upbringing, altered her appearance, and possibly fabricated stories of hate crimes against her.  Ms. Dolezal could have supported the NAACP without the lies and deceit. 

• Like 2

Hi Guest and welcome to the forum. Walter White is quoted as saying;

"My skin is white, my eyes are blue, my hair is blond. The traits of my race are nowhere visible upon me."

Of white's 32 great-great-great grandparents, five were black and the other 27 were white.  Is it any more of a lie for all of us to say that Walter White was Black when he presented as white and 85% of his ancestry is white?  

The only reason he was able to do it was because we allowed him to get away with it.  Of course in the context of the times we know that lighter skinned black were deemed superior.  It does not appears that the NAACP has changed much in this regard in 100 years...

I ran my genealogy a few years ago and I have more white (European) ancestry that Walter White has Black ancestry.  I also look like a Black man.  However, using the same logic, I would be perfectly justified to call myself white.  Of course that would be ludicrous because we live in a white racist/dominated society and Black people who do not look white do not get to call them selves white.

For this reason, I'm not convinced that the one-drop rule not longer applies--even in 2015.  The are numerous example of "Black" celebrities who in an attempt to define themselves beyond their physical appearance, were harshly criticized.  Tiger Woods and Raven Symone come quickly to mind.  I'd imagine people would lose their minds if President Obama decided to choose to fully embrace his whiteness can claim he was white...  the one drop rule still applies.

Should we diminish all the so called Black people to liars who "passed" to have a better life in a country hostile to Black people?

I have no clue what this child's motivation is for claiming to be Black. I have no idea if she has a mental problem or not.  

What I do know if we are so harshly critical of Rachel for claiming to be Black when she is not, then we would run out of time condemning the countless other Black people who passed. 

Edited by Troy

There are over 291,000 tweets using the Hash Tag #RachelDolezal on Twitter as of this instant--Wow!  I've read several of those tweets and some are indeed quite funny. I think I see the appeal of the so called Black Twittershpere now.  It is like a continuous stream of funny comments on our culture.  

Rachel, in the content of our culture's peculiar stance on race, is such rich fodder for humor and satire, I guess this can go on for some time.  Well at least until the next thing pops up.

CNN's tweet was prominent, right at the top.  I guess they must have paid for placement. That is one way to get readers, since reporting the news apparently no longer works.

I too put my two cents into the fray in an effort to get people to come here, it worked bringing people to the site that might not have otherwise came.  Even one person was moved to comment.  

But still, passively reading and laughing at the jokes on Twitter is for more appealing and requires much less effort than writing down your ideas and opening yourself up to judgment or criticism on a forum like this.

I know there is still a place for discussion forums in the social media era, because there are many thriving communities elsewhere on the web. I just don't know of any run by Black folks that is not all about joking around.

Still I won't become active on Black Twitter, you can call it a boycott of sorts.  I think indie sites are important so I'll support them, rather than Twitter.  

I'm no going to invest a lot of effort, as I have in the past, trying to get others to do the same--because that is a waste of time.  The prospect of actually have a Black owned Twitter, and why that might be empowering is largely lost on most folks.

Edited by Troy

rachel.jpg

I never heard of Rachel Dolezal before this morning.  Esther's message was at the top of my Facebook wall when I went in to check my messages a few moments ago, so this was difficult to ignore.

As a practice, I try to ignore the stuff on my wall; (1) much of it is stuff like this, and (2) I'm on a mission to support indie sites with my online activity.  But this message interested me because Esther mentioned "Black Twitter."  Black Twitter is a phenomenon I don't quite understand... at any rate, my daughter a recent marketing grad, told me I should take advantage of Black Twitter for my website.  I asked her to tell me what to do it for me because, from my observations, I did not know what I could do, specifically, on Black Twitter, to help AALBC.com.  

So between Esther's comment and my daughter's recommendation, I decided to use this as an opportunity to check out "Black Twitter" again.  #RachelDolezal was indeed the top trending item.  Now I don't know if everyone on Twitter would see this or just the Black folks.  I read a few comments and was led to Gawker article where I found the YouTube videos below.

Now I appreciate Esther was not completely serious when she wrote that "...any reasonable and smart person..." would check out this story on Black Twitter.  Again I checked out the story (one I have almost zero interest in) because I wanted to better understand Black Twitter.

My conclusions regarding Black Twitter have remained unchanged, indeed have been reinforced.  Black Twitter, despite the name, does not serve Black people.  It helps enrich the likes of Twitter, and the so called news sources like that propagate dumb shit like this.

This is my first post. I have been searching and searching for years for an avenue to help me with my research and feel that after having more time to research this website, I surely hope I can be more enriched by joining. I have endured a very bad setback in my life due to medical reasons, and decided to see if I can find another avenue to vent and get help. I did see this website years ago, but did not realize how incredible it is until now. Funny thing though, to me, is that this article about Ms. Dolezal kind of strikes a painful feeling inside of me. I understand what you say about others passing for White and now she has done the opposite, but as an African American woman, it does hurt on the inside that she has been able to advance her life byway of this organization that I suppose was set up to help people of color. No, I don't have any animosity against her and I think she is so pretty, but as a Black woman, man, it hurts because I have endured so much racism that has hit me financially, and to see someone posing as me, to help me, well, I just don't get it. I believe that she could have just helped black people without having to present herself as being Black. I don't think she will ever fully endure the full impact of racial injustice that an original African American woman endures. I have just been denied medication by a major private hospital and it was a White woman that denied me and for this reason, I know I am up against the wall. When I was a little girl, 5 years old, my kindergarten teacher, a White woman, shoved my head into the table one day as I was drawing a picture of my favorite season, autumn, and still today, I can't understand how a White woman could do that to a child. So, it strikes me in an odd way, when I see White women who are trying to represent the Black culture for many reasons, one of which is that if we endured racism, it would not just be from the White man, however, it seems that many Black people don't equate White women to also victimizing our race and culture. Even though Ms. Dolezal may have meant know harm, but her actions are sort like mocking us.      

• Like 3

Welcome to the boards! I understand your sentiment. I haven't commented on this subject and I won't. I can't even begin to understand the irritation unless I look at Justin Timberlake and Robin Thicke and see how they have appropriated Black cool only when it benefits them. I guess overall, I don't care about her or Bruce Jenner. It's just another drop of crazy in an ocean of fruits and nuts.

• Like 3

Hi Chevdove, I appreciate your thoughtful and nuanced response. I have to admit I had not previously considered your viewpoint. I guess the reason is much of what I've read on social media has been very shallow of dealt with making jokes about the situation.

Other than this conversation, I did engage in one other, on Facebook (I rarely contribute my opinions on social media--I save that for independent websites).  A woman observed that it was mostly men that was defending Rachel.  Of course, it being social media, she did not give me any insight into why she felt that way.  Perhaps she feels the same way you do...

Chevdove, if you don't mind me asking, would you pass the "brown bag test?"  Perhaps there is something to the impressions of Black Men versus Black women.  I'd be willing to go further and bet there is an additional level of complexity wherein the complexion of the Black woman also informs here impression of Rachel.  I a VERY low percentage of dark skinned Black women as no love for Rachel. 

Thanks for contributing!

Welcome to the boards! I understand your sentiment. I haven't commented on this subject and I won't. I can't even begin to understand the irritation unless I look at Justin Timberlake and Robin Thicke and see how they have appropriated Black cool only when it benefits them. I guess overall, I don't care about her or Bruce Jenner. It's just another drop of crazy in an ocean of fruits and nuts.

lol! Well, I think she might needs some therapy. I kinda feel for her too, because she now will be bombarded with so much on the issue of Black American issues and her choices. I can only imagine how White people are going to treat her. But on the one hand I've heard the saying that 'imitation is a form of flattery' so maybe some Black people might think it's okay for her to do what she did, but on the other hand, I believe, historically this issue of putting on 'Black skin' so-to-speak, when all things are going good, then being able to shed it during times of persecution, really is so wrong. She may not be guilty of this, but it is common in history.         

• Like 1

Hi Chevdove, I appreciate your thoughtful and nuanced response. I have to admit I had not previously considered your viewpoint. I guess the reason is much of what I've read on social media has been very shallow of dealt with making jokes about the situation.

Other than this conversation, I did engage in one other, on Facebook (I rarely contribute my opinions on social media--I save that for independent websites).  A woman observed that it was mostly men that was defending Rachel.  Of course, it being social media, she did not give me any insight into why she felt that way.  Perhaps she feels the same way you do...

Chevdove, if you don't mind me asking, would you pass the "brown bag test?"  Perhaps there is something to the impressions of Black Men versus Black women.  I'd be willing to go further and bet there is an additional level of complexity wherein the complexion of the Black woman also informs here impression of Rachel.  I a VERY low percentage of dark skinned Black women as no love for Rachel. 

Thanks for contributing!

You're very welcome. I really haven't read many comments to recognize that mostly men were defending her, but I did find it funny when I read that Montel Williams blasted her! LOL! I don't mind at all that you want to know about me in relation to that historical Brown Bag Test, and I absolutely fail that test! LOL! My husband keeps telling me that I come close to passing, but it would have to be during a very cold winter and up in the north world, in my opinion. Nevertheless, I do have love for Ms. Dolezal and she looks so sad, I kind of feel sad for her too. But I don't like it that she was employed at an HBCU and put into a position to which she could have brought hardship to Black women. I read that in a recent post somewhere? I don't like it too, that a person like her has a better chance being financially furthered as being Black, than me. But when it comes to true African American women that are fair skinned,  I have found my sistas to be more vocal about Black issues than many of my darker skin sistas. And, I can almost hear them now, ranting about Ms. Dolezal passing for White. I graduated from an HBCU many moons ago, and the powerful sistas that I've come across in my past come in many shades of Black. Oh Gosh, those were the Good Ole Days.      

• Like 2

lol! Well, I think she might needs some therapy. I kinda feel for her too, because she now will be bombarded with so much on the issue of Black American issues and her choices. I can only imagine how White people are going to treat her. But on the one hand I've heard the saying that 'imitation is a form of flattery' so maybe some Black people might think it's okay for her to do what she did, but on the other hand, I believe, historically this issue of putting on 'Black skin' so-to-speak, when all things are going good, then being able to shed it during times of persecution, really is so wrong. She may not be guilty of this, but it is common in history.         

This is my post, Chevdove. 

You're very welcome. I really haven't read many comments to recognize that mostly men were defending her, but I did find it funny when I read that Montel Williams blasted her! LOL! I don't mind at all that you want to know about me in relation to that historical Brown Bag Test, and I absolutely fail that test! LOL! My husband keeps telling me that I come close to passing, but it would have to be during a very cold winter and up in the north world, in my opinion. Nevertheless, I do have love for Ms. Dolezal and she looks so sad, I kind of feel sad for her too. But I don't like it that she was employed at an HBCU and put into a position to which she could have brought hardship to Black women. I read that in a recent post somewhere? I don't like it too, that a person like her has a better chance being financially furthered as being Black, than me. But when it comes to true African American women that are fair skinned,  I have found my sistas to be more vocal about Black issues than many of my darker skin sistas. And, I can almost hear them now, ranting about Ms. Dolezal passing for White. I graduated from an HBCU many moons ago, and the powerful sistas that I've come across in my past come in many shades of Black. Oh Gosh, those were the Good Ole Days.      

This is my post, Chevdove. 

I'm confused as to who is saying what??????  Are ChevDove and Guest the same person??  Anyhow, welcome to the board whoever is whom. Regarding the conversation,  I am somebody who would pass the brown bag test and over the years, I noticed that I am treated differently than sistas darker than me.  They observed this, too, and never hesitate to tell me about it.  Sometimes in jest and other times in resentment.  People from time to time ask me if I'm "mixed" and I simply tell them "not to my knowledge". I've never had the desire to try and pass, and consider myself a legitimate black person in psyche as well as experience.  I must confess, however, that at this point in my old age, people of all races get on my freakin nerves.  Everybody is crazy but me. I've pretty much given up on this fucked up society turning itself around. I am not optimistic.    

Nevertheless,ChevDove/Guest,  I'd be interested in your thoughts about my take on the Rachel Dolezal case, an opinion I expressed elsewhere on this board under the headline "On Being a "Wigger".  

Anyhoo, as a result of my disillusionment with America, instead of watching the News which is alll bad, and the prime time TV fare which is mostly tripe, I've gravitated to almost exclusively watching the Science and Discovery and True Crime and TLC channels. The massacre at the black church and the reaction to it, just numbs my sensitivities. I need a respite for racism.  More and more I am captivated by programs about quantum physics and how things are made, and UFOs and Aliens, or about people who murder their mates in order to collect their insurance money so they can hook up with the person who they're been having an affair with. I am also an avid fan of Game of Thrones which is violent and lascivious and utterly incomprehensible..  As for reality shows, I look at ones about gluttonous slobs who weight 600 lbs and can't get out of the bed, or about nut-cases who are compulsive hoaders and are buried in their homes under mountains of trash and feces and filth. Or, could I care less about my hometown hocky  team, the Chicago Black Hawks, winning the Stanley Cup. zzzzzzzzzz I do watch the opening monologues of the Late Night TV talk show hosts, just to hear them skewer celebrities, but the interviews with the guests rarely command my interest.  As for the Net, I hang out on FaceBook mostly to harrass anyone who is too comfortable in their views.  i just go on their walls and highjack their discussions with my opposing views.. I am especially a menace to devout Christians who consider me the spawn of Satan.

So, ChevDove, you ask why am I spewing all of this drivel.  Well, this is what I've degenerated into.  Since you've come aboard, maybe you can take up the slack because I'm fading awaaaaaaaay.... World weary and jaded.

Now, for the real reason I jumped into this subject.  It occurs to me that since my latest book "The Only One" is about an interracial romantic triangle that pits a black sista against a white gurl in a contest to see who can win over a fione brotha,  this novel suddenly has some relevance due to the hot topic fueled by Rachel Dolezal in regard to the entitlement and advantages white females fall heir to.    

http://conniediversbradley.simplesite.com/

Edited by Cynique
  • Like 2

ChevDove/Guest appears to be the same person.  ChevDove you do not have to quote some one each time you reply, just type in your response, we can follow the train.  

Cynique, I stopped watching the news years ago.  I did watch the latest season of Game of Thrones, which is the only thing I'm been watching on regular TV.  The series is compelling enough to hold my attention and I'm glad they toned down the homosexual sex scenes this season, but it just seems to be a never ending story, like soap opera.  Without an ending I'm losing interest.  I feel like waiting for the series to conclude, then go back and watch the show then, which I will probably do.

I too am into quantum physics. I'm surprised how little interest there appears to be in this subject by the general population -- it is absolutely fascinating to me.

My family watches those TLC programs, and I peek in from time to time, but I can't watch the stuff for too long.  It is like eating a bunch of donuts, it might feel good, but you know it is not good for you :-)

It seems #racheldolezal's 15 minutes of fame is over preempted by the tragedy in SC.  I'd actually been in the church where the tragedy took place.  

Racialized white racists are starting to rise up.  It is so crazy these guys think Black people are the source of their problems.  We have the same oppressor, but they are too dumb to see that.

Edited by Troy

Ditto on your Game of Thrones statement. I'm completely avoiding the discussion on the church shooting because since Colorado and Sandy Hook, I've just realized that people really do live in a video game world where shooting people is comparable to playing a first person shooter video game. I honestly think they think there is a reset button and they can start over and if they can't their boring lives are now front page stories and they have something they would have never had in their day to day existence, fame.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused as to who is saying what??????  Are ChevDove and Guest the same person??  

Lol! You definitely made me laugh and I apologize if you weren't meaning to be humorous. As a matter of fact, I'm still laughing. I'm both Chevdove and guest. I didn't realize after I had logged on, that the computer kicked me out until after I have decided ot post initially as a guest. Yes, I will read you post on "wigger". I have found that the subject of dark skinned and light skinned can become challenging only with there is an instigator in the midst, like White people when they like to incite. Outside of that, I could care less about my  friends being dark or light and have learned to be frank and move on to better things to do and talk about. 

I have left off from these new TV programs as well,f or the most part. But, I've never been an avid TV watcher anyways, but I do have my interest. I got rid of the cable channels awhile back because my kids seemed to gravitate to shows that I didn't want them to be watching. However, I like the History channel and american funny this or that, and I like the oldies [classics] like Good Times, and also more updated but oldies still like Living Single. i used to like Tyler Perry, but I got alittle tired of him lately. I think I'm old fashion alittle bit. I'm a Christian, or correction, a believer in Jesus Christ [the original one NOT pictured in most of the Black Churches I've been to as described in the Bible] but I don't think you will throw me off! I'm not at all conventional. Some might think I'm the spawn of the Devil too, and I could care less. 

I've not read the book you mentioned but I will check it out. I don't know if I can pick up the slack, LOL! I might be headed down the same path you are on[! but I try to see if I can help out!    

Edited by Chevdove
add sentence
  • Like 1

ChevDove/Guest appears to be the same person.  ChevDove you do not have to quote some one each time you reply, just type in your response, we can follow the train. ... 

It seems #racheldolezal's 15 minutes of fame is over preempted by the tragedy in SC.  I'd actually been in the church where the tragedy took place.  

Racialized white racists are starting to rise up.  It is so crazy these guys think Black people are the source of their problems.  We have the same oppressor, but they are too dumb to see that.

Thank you, I was confused when I posted previously, and did not realize that I was kicked out right after I had logged on, so I posted as guest and then realized I needed to log back in again. I used to live in Charleston, SC many years ago, and I remember that church very well. Yes, I also agree that we have the same oppressor, but they are so dumb and controlled and can't even see it. What a shame. But what can we do? They are rising up and being encouraged to go in this direction by the 'people in high places'. They too, in my opinion, are being used to keep up White Supremacy. 

• Like 3