Nigger Used in Books More Than Any Racial Epithet (except one)

Google has digitized about a bazillion books (50 million+ at last count, if memory serves).  One of the outcomes is the meta-data Google have amassed.  Google has tons of metadata, including every word I'm tying now.  Often they give people access to this stuff and you can do some pretty interesting things with it.

I tried to come up with the most inflamatory and racist terms I could think of for different groups of people.  You know I actually struggled to come up with these terms.  "Konky," for example, seemed more goofy than racist, but that was the best I could do for a single word.  I through of old fay, redneck, whitey, but they all seemed pretty luke warm when compared to spic or nigger.  (I hope Google does not ban me from showing ads after using all of these fouls words).

As you can see Nigger appears in books more often than Jap, Honky, Spic, Kike, Wop combined, with the exception of the spike around WWII when the use of Jap went through the roof, relatively speaking. It seems the use of racial slurs in books collorate pretty well with bad times for the group in question.

Notice that the use of the word Nigger, in books, is on the upswing now....  

niggeri-books-chart.png 

This chart goes from 1830 to 2008.

I guess the same can be done in music. I'm sure Cynique would say we are discussing something that isn't going to change again, lol. It is very interesting that a word that we have taken as our own is still just as powerful when used by or against us. I guess there are never going to be repercussions for the disrespect of Black folks at any level. 

I mean Trump dissed immigrants and the repercussions were swift and powerful. 

• Like 1