Amazon Kindle Information

I just published a blog post: http://www.cbpublish.com/writing-tips-amazon-kdp-support-kenp-10-000-pages-read-for-100/  This blog post is in regard to KENP for those who have books on Amazon Kindle. Check it out and then look at the fees associated with renting from the Lending Library. How are other companies going to compete with Amazon when they are able to pay writer's on a lended book?

Amazon prime is an amazing loss leader for Amazon and it definitely signals the end for a lot of small companies. 

• Like 1

Amazon's Lending Library is a tool Amazon is using to increase Prime subscribers.  Perhaps now Amazon will no longer be confused with a being a bookseller.

I used to pay for a Prime but not any longer, I don't buy nearly enough from Amazon to justify the expense (especially after the price increase).  The lending Library is not an incentive for me, because most of the books I'm likely to read are not be available through the service--plus I don't read ebooks anyway.  Besides, as an affiliate of the company for over 15 years, I think Amazon can get up off a free Prime account for me. 

LOL I hear you! Did you know that prime also gives you access to the almost every album under the Prime banner so you can stream music through Amazon music for "free" as well. 

Amazon prime is a loss leader. It attracts the customer who shops a lot with the free shipping, which pays for itself if you order more than three products per year that have some weight to them. But the goal is to get people involved in Amazon Media (ebooks, Amazon fire, Amazon music). They are losing, but they gain because they simply want to get you in the door. Once you're in the Wish List and other features make them most people's first stop since they can buy in less than one click if enrolled in Prime. 

As far as being a bookseller, Amazon is forcing the hand of the publishers and not in a good way. It all boils down to consumer's recognizing their power and buying local or supporting more than just convenience.

Interestingly I don't stream I have converted all of my songs to iTunes.  Anything new that I want I just buy from itunes.  If it is not on itunes and I'm desperate I'll grab it from youtube, but that rarely happens.

Actually Amazon has introduced another interesting service.  They allow you to put ads on your site--in direct competition to Google adsense!  This is not a commision thing, you get paid on impressions!  This is a really big deal of website owners.  I'm implementing as we speak.

Man I stand corrected I actually do have an Amazon Business Prime account which does not expire until next March.  I better start taking advantage of some of the feature I'm paying for.  I still think I deserve a free Prime account considering how many books I've sold on there behalf.  Of course Amazon is all about stackin' dat paper; they know nothin' 'bout the hook up, and they sho ain't takin' no shorts.

Edited by Troy

LOL!!!!!!! 

Okay I'm waiting on a blog post about this new Amazon ad service... Do tell so we can move on from KENP and Amazon Prime.

I am actually surprised that you are an iTunes guy. In my mind iTunes is the devil on so many levels, but that's another forum post.

Man, the vast majority of what I have on iTunes is what I copied from CD.  Interesting would would describe iTunes as the devil.  Indeed by comparison Amazon make them look saintly.  That said, Amazon has written my a check every month since the late 90's.  Which is much more than I can say for itunes.

Meh, I'm stickin' with Google adsense versus Amazon CPM ads.  I submitted 6 sites to the program and Amazon rejected one of them.  So I'm bailing...  Actually I take that back I'll use them on the site that Google banned (Thumper's Corner).  

My average CPM so far is over $, but the fill rate is very low, so the effective CPM is about 50 cents, which is horrible, and far worse than what Google pays.

Once my site has relaunched, I'll be able to nix Amazon, if I wanted, as I'll have the flexibility to use any bookseller, or even be the bookseller myself. Unfortunately experience demonstrates that people only buy if I sell via Amazon--but at least I'll be ready if folks change their minds :-)

Trust me I understand this and I've just come to the conclusion that I'm sacrificing 15% to Amazon no matter what the product is. I've pretty much given up the idea of selling through my site. I can't use Google Adsense so anything would be welcome to get some ad revenue if CBP every picks up on traffic. As of right now I'm at least winning when someone buys a pair of my shoes from my site I get an Amazon Associates kickback. I guess due to the amount of returns I have it's just easier to give up the 15%.