UNDERGROUND RAILROAD.

SAW   LAST MONTH ON  PBS  CHANNEL   ,  SHOW  ABOUT  THE  UNDERGROUND  RAILROAD.NOT  HARRIET  TUBMAN,  THE  TOPIC  WAS   WILLIAM STILL.HE    WAS  INVOLVED IN HELPING RUNAWAY  SLAVES   ,SOME  GET TO  CANADA.HE  MET  WITH   THE GREAT   HARRIET TUBMAN,,UNTIL  LAST MONTH,   NEVER HEARD OF WILLIAM STILL...BLACK PEOPLE  CALL EACH OTHER   UNCLE TOM,   DO   THEY KNOW  THE    CHARACTER ,UNCLE  TOM,///BLACK   COMMUNITIES IS MORE    HOUSE  NEGRO  AND   FIELD NEGRO..CHURCHES, POLITICIANS    LOT OF   HOUSE  NEGROES  LEADING    BLACK PEOPLE.///////

• Like 1

Troy was mentioning this the other day. I've always told my students not to call a sellout Uncle Tom. Uncle Tom actually sacrificed himself for his people. Sambo was the turncoat and traitor. We really don't get all of the history we should.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Living in the Philadelphia area, you hear often about William Still which is where he lived.  He was one of the most active abolitionists in the area and also a conductor on the Underground Railroad, like Harriet Tubman, and they quite naturally met often. My store, Color Book Gallery, is on the same block as the Johnson House Historic Site, which is one of only 2 sites open in Philly for tours as a underground railroad site.  William Still and Harriet Tubman both had come through the Johnson House.  As such, our block, 6300 Block Germantown Avenue, hosts the only Annual Juneteenth Street Festival in Philly.  If you are in the area, stop by.

• Like 1