Eric Jerome Dickey's Book One Night

Hi Janice (welcome to the forums) given your ability to post here, I presume you could have also looked up the words to learn their definitions.  Is there something else you really want to say? "Eye brow raised" (stealing a line from Thumper).

At any rate, Dickey (pardon the pun) must have dreamed up some really freaky stuff to have those two words appear on the same page ;)

One Night is actually a Power List Bestselling book, debuting at #7 on the hardcover fiction list.

9780525954859p.jpg

Were you not able to figure out what the words meant by the context in which they were used? 

Taking into consideration the genre of Eric Jerome Dickey books, and going back to my high school Latin, I would guess that the first word has something to do with reciprocal sexual pleasure achieved with another person, and the second word as sexual pleasure achieved  through self-gratification. 

Edited by Cynique

Considering Dickey often writes to empower the woman in his novels and he caters to a female readership, I'm sure he is diminishing the sexual prowess of the man being discussed and strengthening the status of the woman, or he's just finding a really big words way of saying what the bible says, that the man will leave his mother and cling unto his wife in regard to the auto word.  That's my educated guess without reading the book. I should probably just be quiet though since I haven't read it, lol.

Edited by CDBurns

Even better than Latin, Greek etymology is probably more apt in this case.  Auto as a prefix suggests "I". as in autobiography.  Symph suggest "in concert with" as in symphony.  Philia has to do with love.   

Edited by Cynique

Why get so bent out of shape by what Troy said?  Don't be so thin-skinned. This forum is not a tea party. It's a place for those who can take it as well as dish it out.  

So, did you figure out what Dickey was talking about from the responses here?  Or did they just confuse things more??

Wow. It is fascinating to learn how one is perceived and how radically different that can sometimes differ from one's intent.  Here I thought I was encouraging someone to be more direct and open about what they were trying ask and it was perceived as sarcasm.

It simply never occurred to me that anyone with full access to the web could not find the meaning of any word.  

I was unfamiliar with both words, and actually looked them up yesterday.  I did not take the time to post the definitions yesterday because, again, I assumed the anyone could easily find these definitions.

At the risk of further irritating Janice, I normally would not provide definition of words here.  That never was the purpose of this forum or any other discussion forum I can think of.  

Now if you want to discuss Eric's treatment of symphorophilia or autonepiophilia, in his novel, that would be interesting.  A conversation about the practice of autonepiophilia might be fun too ;) 

autonepiophilia:
Paraphilic condition in which sexuoerotic arousal is dependent on impersonating a baby in diapers and being treated as a baby .(from http://www.sex-lexis.com/)

symphorophilia