Canonical URLs to Syndicate Content

This idea was initiated by Patricia here.

Hi Patricia, I probably was not being very clear.  What I was asking you was how would YOU update a page to include a the canonical element on a specific page.  Would you be using a specific wordpress plugin to make these updates on your blog for example?

For example, if I said you could you publish my "Only 54 Black Owned Bookstores Remain in America" blog post I would need you to use the following line of code on the web page:

<link rel='canonical' href='http://aalbc.com/blog/index.php/2014/03/31/54-black-owned-bookstores-remain-america/' />

I do not think most Bloggers would know how to update their Blogs to make this change.  I'd bet there is a plugin that could make this change, but again, I'm not sure the average blogger would know who to make this type of update.

Now as far as paying for content, something I do, I would not want to use a canonical URL to point to the originator.  There is no incentive for me to publish the content, and give all the SEO benefits to someone else.

For those using Wordpress there is a very simple method of doing this. In the Tools section it is called Press This. I can take any website and click on my Press This and it creates a blogpost for the content on that page. I simply have to add a quick blurb, categorize and then share it. It's a great feature that allows anyone to share content from any site.

Did it! Now this is how simple it is:

1.  go to Tools on the menu on the left of Wordpress and then go to Available Tools

2. You will see your Press This link... better yet I will post it directly from that section. The link is below, but this took about 5 minutes. With this feature there isn't any writer's block. If I can't think of anything, I can choose an article from one of the blogs on Huria and Press This!

http://www.cbpublish.com/business-how-bloggers-can-help-each-other/

Press This

Press This is a little tool that lets you grab bits of the web and create new posts with ease.

Use Press This to clip text, images and videos from any web page. Then edit and add more straight from Press This before you save or publish it in a post on your site.

Install Press This

Bookmarklet

Drag the bookmarklet below to your bookmarks bar. Then, when you’re on a page you want to share, simply “press” it.

Press This Copy “Press This” bookmarklet code

Direct link (best for mobile)

Follow the link to open Press This. Then add it to your device’s bookmarks or home screen.

Open Press This

• Like 1

Thanks Chris the canonical element on the page (shown below points to your website):

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.cbpublish.com/business-how-bloggers-can-help-each-other/" />

That said, I think this is a really good idea to share blog posts.  Imagine if just 1/2 of the 198 bloggers currently on Huria Search, found an article on one of the other blogs and used "Pressed This," just once a week.  I don't think this would be too difficult, as most of the Bloggers use WordPress.

I'm going to press another Bloggers article once a week.  Maybe the other Bloggers I press will return the favor.  I've been tweeting other Blogs a few times a week, but I think this is a better strategy.

Thanks Chris!