Attention Whore

This post is about a friend of mine and the words "attention whore". In a strange way, I got this idea from a post that I read at the happynappyhead blog. It was about brothas that sag their pants. What the hell are those low ridin' brothas looking for? I mean, I'm not trying to look at their ass, but I digress.

When I heard the words "Attention Whore", I asked myself what they meant. I most assuredly know they mean different things to different people - okay. But I was left to wonder what they mean to me. Well, a whore is a promiscuous woman; a prostitute. To fornicate with whores is said to be whorish.

Now dammit, where do I fit in? I am not a woman, but I have been promiscuous. Maybe that's my tie-end. I did start my adventure into blogging without plans or a defined purpose. My subject matter has consisted of different elements that are mixed together without discrimination. Maybe that makes me a blog-man-whore? Nawl, I don't think they meant that.

Let me hit this another way. About 6 months ago, I wrote a post that in essence said... "why am I blogging" ... http://careycarey-ca...ts-can-you.html

Today I stopped by Truth's blog. He'd just come back to blogging after a 3 month absence. He spoke of his doubts and his reasons for blogging. Although he didn't announce that he was retiring, I get the feeling he had deep reservations on rather or not it was worth his time and effort. In fact, he said that. I am sure most bloggers have been there.

About 3 weeks ago I was fed up with blogging. I announced my retirement. I did so as a promise to myself, because I thought it would talk to the man in me. I needed to take a position and stand on it. But, as you can see, I failed. Although in my heart I was done with blogging because of the pain and time spent doing such, I didn't know what was in front of me. Others said I would return... and they were right.

Many said they've never seen a true blogger walk away. Some said to just take a break and then return with a new fire. Of course I resisted those words of wisdom because they didn't know me, but they did. They too had heard the call of retirement.

When Brett Favre announced his retirement from football, I wonder if he did so with the intentions of coming back to draw attention to himself - I doubt it. I believe he came back to do what he does best - play football. I believe he loves the game. I love to blog. I think the pain of playing football for 18 years was at the forefront of his announcement.

Tell me this, if you ask a person to pay attention to you or your words, is that a bad thang? I mean, my mother told me to pay attention to her words, and she is a good woman. Are all bloggers attention whores? Granted there are some bloggers -- not many -- but some bloggers who could care less if someone reads their posts. I believe, that kind of blogger is in the minority. Because, really, why post it if there was no intent to have someone read it. I am sure a cynic might say, "it's a way of releasing their mind through their words and it has a cleansing affect on their soul". I say to that minuscule about of Harra Krista bloggers.... "do your thang baby, but all closed eyes ain't sleep"

Having said alllllllll of that, are bloggers nothing more than nasty, promiscuous attention whores? Are we not in need of attention? Come on now, aside from the word "whore", do we all in some way seek an audience, and ultimitely, hope they pay attention to our words?

I don't care if it's a personal blog or a blog geared toward social commentary, isn't there something to be said about the human need to express ourselves and thus be heard. I talk to audiences on a regular basis. In doing so, it's about my words and the messages I send through them. Am I seeking attention? Hell yes, I hope someone is paying attention.

Questions: Are you a old female postee @ AAlbc? Are you an attention whore? Do you live outside of Chicago? Did you write a book that sold 59 copies. If so -- or not -- what does those words mean to YOU? Why do you engage CareyCarey? I mean, whenever he writes a post, you seem to show up with the Nigga Negative Stick. I mean, what's your purpose?

"Just don't try to foist such defiance on a professional editor like me"

What?!

"Nothing like establishing your own literary rules"

What?!

"Your stories are still baloney and a professional editor would make a sandwich out of them"

Excuse me maam, but this is a hobby. Are you taking yourself and this make-believe land, a little too seriously? I bet you think this post is about you!

~ From CareyCarey with love

Having said alllllllll of that, are bloggers nothing more than nasty, promiscuous attention whores? Are we not in need of attention? Come on now, aside from the word "whore", do we all in some way seek an audience, and ultimitely, hope they pay attention to our words?

(Nope! After all, nobody can actually see you or anything.

Sure there is an element to "Look, Ma! No hands!"--ie showboating to every activity one undertakes in front of others--but I just think you got something to say that you want to share with others.

Well, careless-careless, hard not to think your meandering excursion through a mire of inanity which you probably stayed up all night composing is not about me, since you "quoted" me, although in doing so you distorted what I said, altering things to fit your own purposes - as usual. (I never referred to myself as a professional editor.) And altho elsewhere you tried, you again couldn't quite make it. It should've been "what do these words mean", not "what does these words mean"? And it's Hari Krishna not Hara Krista!

And, as usual, you supply your own definitions to make your point. But, once more, you didn't succeed. A whore is somebody who is for sale. So an "attention whore" would sell her attention for monetary gain or favors. Do you know anybody on this board who is being compensated for her attention???? Are you paying me for the attention I bestow upon you? You can't even make a valid analogy. You leave yourself open, always making your assertions a perfect target for a stickler like me. This is why so many of your arguments don't hold weight because your thought processes are flawed by your utilization of twisted logic. Or do you seem to be able to figure out that you bring a lot of flak on yourself because you think you can say anything you please and get away with it. Your MO is not just to dispute an argument but to make far-fetched assumptions about the motivations and life history of your opponents, making up scenarios and adding a few lies just for good measure. You dish it out but you can't take it. Poor ol Carey.

And, actually, you are an attention pimp. Your blog and posts make up your stable of whores. You put them out there hoping to attract clients who will pay the attention that your ego craves.

You say your hobby is writing and bloggin. Well, my favorite passtime is tweaking the noses of "doofusses" like you.