Sign in to follow this  
Troy

Baldwin's Heir to Write Black Panther comic for Marvel

The #1 Power List Bestselling Author, AALBC.com Bestselling Author#1 NY Times Bestselling Author, National Book Award Winning Author (my prediction), and heir apparent to Jimmy Baldwin, Ta-Nehisi Coates will write the new Black Panther comic for Marvel!  So says the New York Times.  Coates has "the juice" right about now.

black-panther-no-1.png
Black Panther No. 1 (coming 2016)

Wow, now that's a new one. Taking one's celebrity and catapulting it into the mainstream media that is really beginning to promote Black Panther since the Marvel world has been hinting at the home for Wolverine's adamantium for a number of films now and with Deadpool getting set to release the non "popular" character world is gaining serious steam. I guess what's more interesting is that an academic is straying away from the lecture path into "hollywood" territory. This should make West very happy.

It's gonna be hard for Coates to reconcile this with the theories he expresses in his last book, "Between The World And Me" - unless, of course, the project hits a snag that he will find a way to attribute to racism.  

• Like 1

You have a point Cynique; it is impossible to fight against an inherently racist system, when you are an outsized beneficiary of that very same system. 

I guess the "reconciliation" can be seen by how Ta-Nehisi uses his prestige, wealth and influence to benefit the rest of us.

Ta-Nehisi was just awarded a Genius Grant!

The MacArthur Fellows Program awards (‘Genius Grant’) unrestricted fellowships to talented individuals who have shown extraordinary originality and dedication in their creative pursuits and a marked capacity for self-direction.

There is some serious paper attached to this award.

I hope Dr. West does not blow a gasket. :(

Ta-Nehisi-Coates.jpg
Photo Credit: Credit: John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation

Edited by Troy