Three Days Before the Shooting by Ralph Ellison

Hello All,

I'm about to be out of commissioned. I'm fixin to start reading Three Days Before The Shooting by Ralph Ellison. In case you're not familiar with Three Days, Three Days is the compilation, for lack of a better word, of all of the written pieces of the second novel Ralph Ellison was writing at the time of his death. Ellison had been working on the novel following his first novel, Invisible Man, for over 40 years before his death. After he died, his literary executor, John Callahan, edited and released Juneteenth. Juneteenth was not the novel, but a small number of writings that Ellison had written in which Callahan assembled together. At the time, it was stated that all of the different pieces, stories, et al, would be collected for study only, not released to the general reading audience at large. I ain't going to lie, I felt somewhat slighted about that. Evidently I wasn't alone. The higher ups must have been feeling generous because they put the whole thing out, in one volume, thus, Three Days Before The Shooting. Three Days is over 1000 pages long. Yeah...now you all know I have a thing about BABs (Big Ass Books). I don't like reading them. Frankly, BABs tend to scare the hell out of me and I avoid them like the plague. Stephen King is just about the only author that can put out a book this big and I'll read it. The Harry Potter books comes in a close second. Other than that, I'd rather skip over it. But, I'm going to tackle this big sucka! So, I'm letting you all know...*sniffle, sniffle*...that if you don't hear from me again...*sniffle*...it's been good, most of the time! Cynique, I wuv U--like a big second, third remove, distant cousin. Carey, it's been swell. Crystal, give Mosley another try. I want you all to pray for me, I'm about to go to that land of BAB and I may never return. *with the song I'm Standing in the Need of Prayer playing in the background* *LOL*

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I'm about to be out of commissioned. I'm fixin to start reading Three Days Before The Shooting by Ralph Ellison. In case you're not familiar with Three Days, Three Days is the compilation, for lack of a better word, of all of the written pieces of the second novel Ralph Ellison was writing at the time of his death. Ellison had been working on the novel following his first novel, Invisible Man, for over 40 years before his death. After he died, his literary executor, John Callahan, edited and released Juneteenth. Juneteenth was not the novel, but a small number of writings that Ellison had written in which Callahan assembled together. At the time, it was stated that all of the different pieces, stories, et al, would be collected for study only, not released to the general reading audience at large. I ain't going to lie, I felt somewhat slighted about that. Evidently I wasn't alone. The higher ups must have been feeling generous because they put the whole thing out, in one volume, thus, Three Days Before The Shooting. Three Days is over 1000 pages long. Yeah...now you all know I have a thing about BABs (Big Ass Books). I don't like reading them. Frankly, BABs tend to scare the hell out of me and I avoid them like the plague. Stephen King is just about the only author that can put out a book this big and I'll read it. The Harry Potter books comes in a close second. Other than that, I'd rather skip over it. But, I'm going to tackle this big sucka! So, I'm letting you all know...*sniffle, sniffle*...that if you don't hear from me again...*sniffle*...it's been good, most of the time! Cynique, I wuv U--like a big second, third remove, distant cousin. Carey, it's been swell. Crystal, give Mosley another try. I want you all to pray for me, I'm about to go to that land of BAB and I may never return. *with the song I'm Standing in the Need of Prayer playing in the background* *LOL*

I tried and failed to read this... :angry: