SPIKE LEE NEW MOVIE,CHI-RAQ/

SPIKE   LEE  NEW  MOVIE  ,  CHICAGO   IS  AS  BAD  AS IRAQ/BLACK  ON BLACK  VIOLENCE.SELF  INFLICTED   GENOCIDE/I  AGREE/9   YEAR   OLD   MURDERED,BY   STREET  GANG,  HE  WAS   BURIED   THIS   WEEK,A  1  YEAR  OLD  BABY   KILLED  BY   8   YEAR   OLD  BOY,BECAUSE   MOTHER  WENT  TO  A NIGHT  CLUB///KU KLUX  KLAN  ARRESTED   ,THEY  WERE  PLANNING  TO  ATTACK  BLACK  CHURCHES,  KILL    PEOPLE,  LIKE   WHAT   HAPPENED  IN  CHARLESTON//,NO  BLACK  UNITY AT  ALL/BLACK  WOMEN   AS  BAD  AS BLACK  MEN   HAVING  CHILDREN   THEY  DO  NOT  WANT ,   ,,BLACK  MOTHER   PUTS  HER    DAUGHTER  DEAD BODY,IN A FREEZER, / I,I   HOPE BOTH,  MOTHERS  GET  A  LIFE  SENTENCE//////

"Chi-Raq is a modern day adaptation of the ancient Greek play "Lysistrata" by Aristophanes. After the murder of a child by a stray bullet, a group of women led by Lysistrata organize against the on-going violence in Chicago's Southside creating a movement that challenges the nature of race, sex and violence in America and around the world."

Man times have really changed.  I have heard nothing about this movie.  Other than news reports about Amazon making movies.  I do recall a teaser on NPR about the film being controversial -- but that is it.  

At anyrate, the trailer has piqued my interest in the film.  It looks like vintage Spike/Dickerson work.  But I need Spike to subscribe to my eNewsletter, or something, before I go see this film...that is not a petty as it might sound.

I think a sex strike would result in more violence not less :o

Spike Lee's decision to make a movie entitled "Chiraq" created a lot of controversy in Chi-town, with many characterizing him as a carpetbagger, - a New Yorker descending on Chicago, capitalizing on an ongoing crises, and bringing more focus on this town's violent reputation.  I tended to agree with this but Spike did have support from those who credited him with providing jobs for local actors with this "art-imitating-life" project, even as it poured salt on the wounds of those who have lost loved ones to gun fire.  Spike did make a financial contribution to a local organization fighting black-on-black crime. 

• Like 3

Cynique, making a donation to a local organization fighting black-on-black crime is the least Spike could do.  Any idea what the size of the donation was?

Honestly, I had not considered the perspective of the a Chicagoans, who were personally touched by violence there. After thinking a bit more deeply about it; maybe this is not the time for a pimped out Samuel L Jackson, sexy babes, and jokes, but rather, a time for some serious reflection on what to do about the situation in Chitown and in other cities.

We all know Amazon, like Spike (IMHO), is solely interested in making money.   But I will reserve complete judgement until the unlikely time I see the film.  Actually when it becomes available for streaming on Amazon I'll check it out.

• 1 month later...

Interesting, but a Nairobi man pretty much pretty much summed up the impact; "Seven days is nothing, I can wait a year."  

I think the only people to be hurt in this campaign will be sex workers--assuming they decide to join the effort.  Otherwise it will be a windfall for them. 

In all seriousness, this is a rather sexist ploy as if men are the only ones who want to have sex.  Plus Hannah and her 5 sisters never say no ;)