I HATE these types of Facebook Posts!

face-book-love-posts.jpg.de80141f42f5e07

These type of Facebook posts just work my nerves! They usually are right at the top of my wall when I login to Facebook to check my messages, so I can't avoid seeing them.  I hate these types of message and ones where people boast about their children.

I don't even really know the person whose message this is, so it shouldn't even bother me, but it does.  

I know Facebook is not beyond experimenting with manipulating people's moods, and they sure know how to get under my skin. I see one of these types of posts most days, which seems unlikely to occur naturally given the behavior of my actually friends.

Maybe it bugs me because I'm just not the type of person to go around talking about how great my marriage or family is.  To me those kinds of things don't need expressing unless it is a wedding or something, as these things are usually apparent from casual observation.

My 25th anniversary is in 3 weeks.  I just would never occur to be to go onto Facebook to write something like this.  Besides who is this message for?  My wife knows how I feel about her.  My close friends and family also have a pretty good idea.  As far as everyone else concerned, I don't think they really care.  So what is the goal of the people who write these thing--other than to feed some internal selfish need?

Still this really should not irk me at all.  Maybe its that I get to avoid people who talk like this in the real world, but am forced to tolerate these bores on Facebook.  Maybe I just really need to cut the 5 minutes a day I spend on Facebook out all together.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.  Maybe this upgrade has me behind the PC too much :-)

I dunno....

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Man I feel the same way. I don't have my birthday posted on Facebook and my wife doesn't tag me in family related topics. My page is strictly for promoting my business and things I want to share. I don't even say Happy Birthday to people on Facebook My wife will post pictures of the kids and stuff like that, but she doesn't tag me. It is for the family in Cali and elsewhere, but we don't get into it. I often say to myself that if you are writing this kind of stuff on Facebook, your relationship must really have gone through some real shitty stuff and you have to "bonify your love" like Jeffrey Osbourne, lol. But I feel you on this one.

• Like 1

Well, Guys, if you're like me, mostly all of my friends on FaceBook are literally my friends, - people I am related to, or went to school with or worked with, or met later in life.  So when it comes to FaceBook, in my case, it is literally a social media. I post pictures of me and my kids and grandkids on their birthdays, or on special occasions.  I also do a little editorializing from time to time, posting opinions  that are intentionally offensive to religious or patriotic people. I occasionally share some personal observations but they are usually ones that poke fun at myself.  All the religious memes and prayers requests and pictures of food and pets do bore me but, believe it or not, there are a lot of folks who like to hear the testimonies of others who have, with the help of the Lord, made it through a crises.   Black women, particularly, tend to be sentimental and mawkish and eat up sappy stuff like this. 

FaceBook is also embroidered with threads that originate with controversial  memes inviting comments which provoke angry exchanges among people of different political and religious persuasion. These discussions are my cup of tea because I like to argue! Needless to say, FaceBook is a stage, a screen, a form of communication which enables both young and old to connect with the world-at-large, - especially for me because I don't get out and about that much any more.  And it should be noted that FaceBook was not a spontaneous combustion.  It was a insidious idea that gradually ingratiated itself into a population ripe for a way to validate its existence by sharing its mundane experiences with an audience. Facebook is also a channel for perversion and a conduit for violence. Obviously it satisfies a need which is why it thrives.

• Like 2

Interestingly, most of my friends and family are not active on Facebook.  We may have accounts but we are not all that active.  I have a cousin that uses FB to promote a business like myself, but neither of use get any engagement (I mean zero), from family.  I get some engagement from friends, but those friends are connected to me through the industry.

But that lack of engagement is just on social media.  In the physical world there is more support, but even then it is far from universal.  I would not have a business if I depended solely on family and friends. My family and friends, like most of America, does not read very much so this is not unexpected.

Cynique, you are probably right about women really liking those type of posts.  Honestly it is for this reason I sometimes contemplate that I'm not the best face for AALBC.com.  I really think a middle aged, with a southern sensibility, the type of person to write and enjoy these types of posts that just get on my nerves would be idea.  Do you all think this matters or it me?

These irritating posts are almost enough to get me off Facebook for good.  I keep saying I'm done with even logging into social media with the roll out of the new website, but we will see.  

Plus, I don't think I can develop a platform where readers and writers interact if I'm doing that on Facebook.  I'm also going to build out a portion of the website for books clubs. I'm actually pretty excited about this prospect it is like going back to my roots so to speak - Maybe I'll even relaunch our online book club.  I just need someone to pick the books and moderate the discussions... I'm definitely gonna do that (any lurkers out there wanna volunteer?).

Hello Everyone,

I can agree with most of this. I closed my FB account a few months back for some of these same reasons. Troy, like you, my business account attracted zero traffic. For Business, I think LinkedIn is so much better. My husband does not have a FB account and vows to never start one. He is a master at working LinkedIn and his responses from using it is fantastic. In less than two years, he has acquired almost 3.000 professional contacts and counting. Facebooks keeps too many folks in our business. There are better venues for business connects.

• Like 1

Facebook works for what it is. I tend to login just to check and see if I have any messages since people have to be tricked into signing up for e-mail lists now and then the engagement is not the great there, but at least they do get opened and people choose to see what you are doing. I keep up with my old players and students on Facebook, I share my posts and articles, but I really keep it because it's expected. If I'm going to get into the public speaking and consulting arena, people really do use it to check out what type of stuff you share and write so I stay active, but mainly through sharing work by other people or by clicking the like buttons and social sharing buttons to let the world know I've posted. Facebook can get really irritating, but I've grown accustomed to every month or so purging and not following those people who are redundant in what they share and post. That helps a ton. 

• Like 1

You know Shirely I have a LinkedIn account and have never seriously considered using it for professional networks and I have thousands of connection as well. Maybe I'll begin working LinkedIn in earnest.

Chris I actually just got back from Facebook and typed the reach in the comments section on all of my posts over the last month on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aalbcfanpage/  You might find that interesting.

There is a direct correlation between the number of people sharing a post and the number of people reached.  My most popular post last month reached over 17,400 people; 176 people shared it.  For my page If a post is shared by a handful of people it may get seen by close to 1,000 people otherwise it hangs around the 150 to 200.  Which is a pretty crappy 1% considering worked to get my fan base to well over 20,000.  We already know this results in very little traffic back to the site. 

I have to reduce the size of some pictures to post them here, but I really want to share with you the stats from that article that garnered those 6000 unique visits on CBP in 3 days. I had to explain to someone that traffic from Facebook enters and leaves on the same page and traffic from Facebook stays on average 3 to 5 seconds. So just because you get a click through, it doesn't mean much, unless you're a star. Then your interaction is very good, but we know that already.

I'm familiar with a case where an author generated clicks from Facebook at an even hire rate.  Over a 2 day period (3,200 one day and 2,200 a week later) there were 5,400 clicks on a link, for a single book, going straight to Amazon.

But here is the kicker; there were only 3 books sold!  Now that deifies logic!  On a BAD month across my entire website I convert 4% of people I send to Amazon. Normally it is double that.  So if I send 5,400 people to Amazon I expect to sell at least 200 books. 

Again, the "people" who clicked this link went straight to Amazon, so I have not idea how long the were on the site or what they did, but I do know they brought books at an alarmingly LOW rate--two orders of magnitude lower than normal!  Needless to say this raised all kinds of red flags on the nature of those clicks. 

Like your case this was organic (free) reach from Facebook. I only previusly looked at the quality of my paid promotions.  It never occurred to me to examine the quality of Facebook's organic reach.  

I have a a post on Facebook that generated 1,000 visitors in one day this early last week (the post I mentioned above with 17K people reached). I'm going to definitely look into that when i get a second.

If I see the same type of activity (or lack of it), I'm going to share the data with a journalist, there definitely is a story here.  

Put you images on google drive and I'll grab them from there 

The following is a report on the clicks from Facebook, based upon a post I make about my book club database.  This was over a 2 day period,  The first day resulted in about 940 clicks on my link; the rest were on second day.

As you can see, the average time on the website is quite respectable and pages views are good, because the content on the landing page is very thin right now, there is nothing to read.  Book clubs can check to see if their club is in the database: http://aalbc.org/bookclubs/ Two page views are expected because once you get to the website you then have to select the state your book club is in, which results in a 2nd page view.

Now some out there is saying, "See Troy, despite all your bitchin' and moanin' about how useless Facebook is, this is an example of how good it is."  

If I were an internet novice, I could see how this might be a compelling argument.  But the reality is Facebook did not do this, people did.  This is exactly the same thing people did before Facebook was invented.  The difference today is that we no longer capitalize on our efforts, Facebook does.  And that is the problem.  

Plus, I have never gotten this much traffic from a paid Facebook promotion--not even close.  Facebook simply can not do for us, what we can do for ourselves. 

bookclub-shares.png.2d2d4890ae372f6b5961