Please do me a quick favor Subscribe to my YouTube Channel

Troy

Yep that is all it takes Cynique.  I setup up the URL so that it actually subscribes you--all you have to do is confirm.  I got 35 subscribers so far.  I guess that is not too bad for a lazy sunday afternoon.

I'm going to request the same via my eNewsletter and will be disappointed if I don't get the remaining 300 or so before the end of the year

Man just use my graphic.  This is the formation of the http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?gl=CA&hl=en&add_user=aalbc (just replace your channel name on the end) All the user has to do is confirm.  This URL would not post on Facebook so I shortened it to http://aalbc.it/authorvids  As of a few moments ago it was clicked 63 times and I have 46 new subscribers.  I'll share it again tomorrow.  I still need 343 new subscribers (assuming I don't lose any).  

Hello Troy and fellow members,

I am just seeing your email to me. Of course, I subscribed. I want you to know that I find you most impressive. I have told my husband and my sons about what you are doing. I am praying for the continued success of this forum. As such, I am telling people about aalbc.com and asking them to take a peek. It is like pulling teeth sometimes to get people to participate in anything. I gather that everyone is busy trying to survive all the madness in our lives.

Well, the best to you, while you "keep on keeping on" as the old folks say. :) 

• Like 2

Shirley, Thank you so very much for taking the time to express those kind words.

I tell you making a way on the 'net is extremely difficult; corporations exert monopolistic control; our people are unorganized, at best, and unnecessarily competitive; then you have racists tearing you down at every opportunity.

So when come forward to provide inspiration, and support, it has a bigger impact than you might image -- thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, in the last three weeks, I added 151 new subscribers, which is a just under 40% of my goal.  I still need another 239 to get to my goal of 1,000.  

Basically I fell short because the people I were appealing to do not subscribe to youtube channels, so what seemed like a trivial task to me required a bit more effort by others.

I'm now going to appeal to people already on youtube, where the effort to subscribe is indeed minimal.  I'm adding subscriber buttons to all of my most popular videos and will do so to each new video I add.  I have a bunch of unedited videos to publish, so I hope to reach my goal by March.

Thanks again to all that subscribed

subscribe-aalbc-youtube.jpg.3a4c7465e194

It's really hard to get people to subscribe. There is an age issue here also and a need to know issue. Young people love to be reminded of some cool, new cat video or some stunt video, so they subscribe immediately to sites like that. I'm subscribed to a ton of music YTs. But informative YTs tend to grow at a much slower rate as they are more about education and information and people watch that when they have to or when they need to know something. At that point if the video worked for them, they may subscribe, or they may not because they don't realize they should. Your call to action is good though. It's explicit and straightforward and I'm realizing that there has to be a call to action somewhere in the video. I'm at 55 since I requested subscriptions after you, but I'm okay with that because I have more questions now from people although the views and subscription aren't going up. I guess people want to keep the information for their own use and not share it, lol.

• Like 1

Hey Chris obviously you are right about getting people to subscribe.  I'll let you know how the call to action works out.

I think informative channels can do well with subscribers it they have really high production quality and/or have unique content. Also I only subscribe to informative channels off the top of my head here are two informative channels I subscribe to that have millions of subscribers: Veritasium (3M+ subscribers), Vsauce (9M+ subscribers), 60 Symbols  (500K+ subscribers)

I have not watched all of the videos these guys have, but I don't think that I've watched a single Veritasium or 60 Symbols video that i did not enjoy.  In fact I have shared a couple of Vertitasium video here that had to do with facebook fraud

I noticed a few things about these guys.  

• Vsauce, with the most subscriber always ends their video with a request to subscribe. 
  • They collaborate with each other and have appeared on each other channels
  • Two of the guys running these channels have met with Obama at the Whitehouse--basically they are acknowledged, embraced, and recognized by the broader community.

These are wildly successful channels  I make about $30 a month from my yoututbe channel and I have almost 900K views.  Vsauce at over 900M views probably makes $30K per month minimum--from just youtube alone, not counting all the collateral revenue streams that are possible with that kind of platform.

I worked with a group The Book Look for a couple of years.  They were focused on producing videos that covered Black authors, publishing professionals and events in a fun light hearted way. Sadly the channel was not successful enough to justify the efforts of the principals behind it.  I put a lot of effort in promoting the videos too.

I guess there is simply not enough demand for content surrounding Black literature.  This sound crazy, when you consider that a dude (60 Symbols) with a single camera and basic editing can make a living shooting video of professors at one school (University of Nottingham).

It's not that there isn't a demand, we simply don't build each other up and give each other those critical cosigns. I saw yesterday someone stating that if you don't make it then you can't blame not having connections. The person basically said that you have to pull yourself up and stop blaming others. You and I both know that is the biggest crock of shit in the world. The bottom line is some people sneak through the cracks and get to the next level without any cosign, but the real fact is unless someone famous gives you a nod, you will languish until you just become too profound to ignore. The demand is there, but Black people are the only people who do not make an effort to return the favors, or give out the nod needed to get the next person into the mainstream. There is a real fear that those giving the nod will lose their status. They don't realize that their profile increases with the backing of something fantastic. We just have to keep working. I've begun ending all of my videos with a subscribe caption at the bottom. I will start adding it as a card as well.  What I've done recently is use the description to break down longer videos by putting the times of questions. I will keep plugging away as I have with the website and we will see what happens in the long run.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well I'm still 131 subscribers short of my goal.  I've averaged about 2 subscribers a day since I posted this appeal.  So at this rate, I should reach my goal by the summer. I wanted to achieve my goal by this point, but considering it took me 9 years to get to 600 subscribers; I guess getting 400 in under a year is pretty good.

Earlier in the week I noticed Omar Tyree made the same appeal on Youtube.   I subscribed to his and asked him to subscribe to my channel.  He has 54 subscribers now and even though he is a well known author gaining and an additional 946 susbcribers, organically, anytime soon, won't be easy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well since April 10th  I've added 43 subscribers; which brings me down to 0.8 new subscribers a day. At this rate, I'll now reach my goal on September 19, almost 10 months after making my appeal, talk about playing the long game...  I almost forgot why I needed 1,000 subscribers :o

I just checked on Omar's progress. He has gained 66 subscribers during the same period. At this rate he will reach his goal on August 18, 2018.  That is a lifetime on the web, YouTube will likely change such that the feature will no longer be offered or the requirement will be different.

• Like 1