Our Future is Cyberspace

“Outsiders” have often dictated the trends of African American Culture, sometimes doing the job themselves, sometimes using what authors John A. Williams called “surrogates.”  Both W.E.B. DuBois and Booker T. Washington accused each other of being manipulated by outsiders

With the introduction of cyberspace, younger writers have the ability to reach audiences unheard of during the sixties when African American writers produced broadsides and saddle-stitched chapbook.  As access to cyberspace becomes less expensive, more voices will be heard and this period, the most prolific in the history of African American Literature, will rise to worldwide prominence, no longer having to obey the tastes of the outsiders in power or the dictates of the establishment-manufactured Talented Tenth.
Ishmael Reed (Black Issues Book Review; November-December 1999)

I was reading an old issue of Black Issues Book Review magazine and came across this quote by Ishmael Reed.  Reading it now it seems almost farcical and Ishmael Reed is brilliant.  The truth is at the time he wrote this I agreed with him.

Today I don't I actually started to post my reaction to his quote here, but as I got going I decided to make a Blog post out of my reaction, which you can read here.

photo-bibr.jpg.166c79eb5a2676ddd55e240cc

• 4 weeks later...