Facebook is a Drug

"I come to realize that I'm wasting way too much time on here. The real movers and shakers aren't on here, just us everyday working joes. I want to be a mover and shaker. It's time to get my hustle on, so I will only be checking my FB once a week to post any signings or dj gigs I might have. FB is keeping us from making any real moves, it's a drug and I need to stop being a junky." --Anthony L. Wallace

Is he right?

I agree. Some people seem to be on FaceBook all day long, idly chatting about trivial things, keeping friends posted on their every move. Doing this apparently fills a void in their life, and satisfies a need to validate their existence. Why are people so seduced by the technology of communication nowadays? It's kind of scary to contemplate what this bodes for the future.

I spend at least an hour, sometime more, a day on Facebook. I rationalize that it is part of my job, and much of what I do is work related however I do use it for personal stuff too.

I strive to be very disciplined on Facebook, early on I saw how it can be a huge time sapper. I found myself posting a link to a book review -- next thing I know I was looking at someone's photos for 20 minutes.

I don't play games like Farmville or Mafia Wars. I don't have the time. I've even blocked those apps to prevent people from sending emails from those programs. I also block the apps that send virtual flowers, I love you hearts, drinks, if I get something new -- I immediately block the ap.

I disabled the chat feature. I don't reply to messages unless they are directed to me specifically and are business related or from someone I really know.

The Facebook Fanpages (AALBC.com Fan Page) help a lot. I recommend people using Facebook for business purposes create a fanpage rather than a profile page (Troy's Profile Page).

At the end of the day Facebook, like the Internet in general, is really what YOU make of it. It can be a fantastically useful and beneficial place -- indeed the Internet is the source of my livelihood.

At the other extreme it can be a very dangerous place. I know of a man who was murdered by someone he met on-line and invited to his house.

However for most of us, it will range from being a relatively innocuous waste of time to being a really cool place to stay connect with family and friends.

I don't foresee any terrible adverse impact on culture -- at least not nearly as bad as the impact of the Boob-Tube!

I guess it depends on the individual. But I can see some of his point. Many people spend huge amounts of time there chatting and gossiping. If he wants to make a difference in the world, he should just do and not link Facebook to his failure to do so.

A good friend of mine is on there constantly and she suggested I do Facebook. She had done this for sometime until one day, I caved in. I reluctantly created an account even though I'm not really into the social networking thing. Anyhoo, when I went over her house and told her I created a Facebook account, she wanted to see it. I said ok, and opened it up. She said, "Oh! You have no friends. You need some friends." Then she proceeded to invite herself and some of her friends to my page. The next time I opened it, it had advertisements and people requesting to be on my page that I did not know. I could not believe all the clutter and faces that invaded my page. It unnerved me so much that I have not been back since. I have no real need to do so…..

Xeon, yes it really does depend upon the individual. If you are not a business owner and do not like social networking sure don't bother. Despite the hype one can still have a full and meaningful life without Facebook.

I hosted a dinner party on Friday with people I connected with over Facebook that I went to grade school going back to 1967! A couple of these folks I have not seen since the mid 70's.

This is not likely to have happened -- certainly not as easily -- without Facebook. Now one can argue that there is no point in getting together with people you have not seen in 30 years. While I enjoyed that diner great deal, I completely understand that some people have no interest in getting together with old acquaintances and friends. Again Facebook would have zero value for these people.

I also know people who have been reunited with family members via Facebook.

I created a secret group on Facebook just for my family members. It was born from a family reunion I organized last year.

I think Anthony Wallace's opinion about Facebook, in general, is wrong. However I know there are people who are wasting time there, and for those individuals, he is right.

Carey, I disagree with your premise. The face to face social interactions which you suggest are being impeded; never would have taken place in the first place. In reality people are connecting with folks they would never have met and can now interact with them in the real world.

I would argue the opposite: Facebook facilitates face to face interaction.

Of course, as I’ve said before, Facebook, like life in general, is what you make of it.

For some people it makes sense. People with a music site or something trying to raise a fan base.

For the rest of us it is an utter waste of time.

Anybody I need talk to I pick up the phone or go over their house.

Americans are utterly hooked on gadgets. You can sell them anything that is supposed to be "the latest"

Look at all the a--holes that picked up that new phone. It does everything--but take your calls.

I used to try and wake people up to it. Now I just wish I could get some of that booty!

Guest Anthony L Wallace

"I come to realize that I'm wasting way too much time on here. The real movers and shakers aren't on here, just us everyday working joes. I want to be a mover and shaker. It's time to get my hustle on, so I will only be checking my FB once a week to post any signings or dj gigs I might have. FB is keeping us from making any real moves, it's a drug and I need to stop being a junky." --Anthony L. Wallace

Is he right?

For me it has become a waste of my time. The hour or so that I spend looking at pictures or chatting with old friends I could be working on my next book or mixing my next mixtape. I'm not saying that FB is all bad. I use it to promote my books and mixtapes, and it has paid off, plus I've reconnected with people I haven't seen in years. My reason for FB, MS, BP, NL and others was to promote my products and to point people to my website. But after time I found myself doing things other than that, so it was a waste of time. Now I only spend about ten minutes at any given time just to promote and answer emails. I got back to the real reason that I got on FB in the first place. www.wallacepublishingllc.com

Troy, I will agree, it can facilitate new friends. My concerns are more about the friends and family that we already have. So much is lost in a tweet or a text. I want to feel the essence of a person. I want to "hear" the pain or struggles in their voice. I want to hear the question in a question. I also want to feel their joy.

In reality, how many "new" friends does a person acquire through these social sites? More importantly, what was the attraction? What, a written word?

Check this, I was visiting family and friends in New Orleans last week. One family was mired in mess(family problems). In short, they were texting each other while in the same house. REALLY!

I know that's kind of off point, but considering what I am saying about what one loses with these gadgets, I think it's illustrating my point. When we lose normal contact, there's gonna be a huge payoff.

Words are powerful, but if they are only written on paper (tweet, text, etc) they hide the truth and facilitate lies. And whenever there's lies, there's drama with a capital D! DAMN.

Carey I hear you, but I think you are missing the main points. Many of the interactions taking place on facebook would not have taken place at all. Think of it like writing a letter. A century ago people could stay in touch because there was a reliable mail delivery system to transport letter. Prior to that people who were at great distances from each other simply could not stay in touch.

Needless to say the interactions on facebook, via hand written letters and in person are different. However it is up to each individual to determine which form of communication is better at any given time.

Facebook more than anything else is a substitiute for face to face interaction, and a way to complete interactions between people who actually see each other regularly.

I can definitely relate to Anthony's comments and had to take similiar actions to restrict my time and what I do on Facebook. Simialir to what I have to do at Thumpwer's Corner wink.gif

"Carey I hear you, but I think you are missing the main points. Many of the interactions taking place on facebook would not have taken place at all. Think of it like writing a letter. A century ago people could stay in touch because there was a reliable mail delivery system to transport letter. Prior to that people who were at great distances from each other simply could not stay in touch"

Believe me Troy, I get YOUR main point. But you seem to be walking over dollar bills to get those shinny pennies. Meaning, your supposition is very thin. You may be missing the main point.

Look at this...

"Facebook more than anything else is a substitiute for face to face interaction, and a way to complete interactions between people who actually see each other regularly"

For people who actually see each other regularly! Oh, so that's the point I'm missing?

Troy, by reading your comments, it's obvious that you are defending it's (facebook or any hook) usefulness and purpose, based on "could be's" and "should be's).

So, since you are a man of business, let's break this down like we are running a kool-aid stand...

Troy: Carey, lets open a kool-aid stand.

Carey: Why would we want to do that?

Troy: We COULD make a lot of money.

Carey: And a frog wouldn't bump his ass off the ground if it had wings.

Troy: Carey, you're missing my point.

Carey: How so?

Troy: Well, we could invite all of our old friends and do what we've always done while we all drink kool-aid.

Carey: huuummmm, and how do we invite them?

Troy: Well, IF they had a PC, and IF they were on facebook, we could give them a holler.

Carey: Okay Troy, I might be missing your point, but lets get started. But Troy, you're a man of business, so you know the best laid plans should revolve around the weakest link in the chain. I mean, I don't want to be saying I could of had a V8, instead of this kool-aid stand.

Troy: come again Carey, I don't know WTH you're talking about.

Carey: Well, lets say we build this stand, how much is it going to cost us?

Troy: Do you mean cost, like in dollars?

Carey: Now we're getting to the main point. I mean, Anthony L Wallace said, "For me it has become a waste of my time. The hour or so that I spend looking at pictures or chatting with old friends I could be working on my next book or mixing my next mixtape"

and Xeon said,

"I could not believe all the clutter and faces that invaded my page. It unnerved me so much that I have not been back since. I have no real need to do so….."

So, I am asking, is this Kool-aid stand going to be worth our time and effort?

Troy: It could.

Carey: There you go with that could sh*t. Chris hayden said,

"For some people it makes sense. People with a music site or something trying to raise a fan base. For the rest of us it is an utter waste of time.

Anybody I need talk to I pick up the phone or go over their house"

Troy: That's what I'm saying!

Carey: Stop it, that's NOT what you said. You said, "Facebook more than anything else is a substitiute for face to face interaction, and a way to complete interactions between people who actually see each other regularly"

Now, did I hear the word "substitute"? And, "complete interactions"? I think those are your words. And, to complete something, you have to start it.

I know you hear me, and understand what I am saying, but lets get started on this damn kool-aid stand.

Troy: Yes, lets get started. Where should we begin?

Carey: Well, what's our goal?

Troy: Lets just build it, first. Then we can see if our family and friends wants to buy some kool-aid. You know, we have to stay in touch with them and this will be an excellent way to do that. Who knows, if we stay focused and don't venture off the beaten path, like most facebook members, including myself, we could hit a gold mine.

Carey: One mo a'gin, there you go with that "could" sh*t. I mean, I've yet to hear one person tell me how facebook has enhanced their life. I've yet to hear one person say how it has drawn their family closer together. And you keep talking about could and should. However, on multiple occasions, I've heard how it creates an atmosphere of faceless, distant robots, that are absent of emotions. And I've heard people say they've wasted hours tweeting, peeing and peering in those new ghettos.

Troy: Hand me that hammer and that box of nails. I'm going to start on our stand, and bust you upside yo head if you don't start doing something.

Carey: I am doing something. I'm telling you that this kool-aid stand is a maddening idea. So what if we do build this stand and adorn it with bright ribbons, and serve the kool-aid in nice plastic? What happens when we forget the sugar, or don't have any sugar, what then?

Troy: WTH are you talking about now. Shut your negro lips and hand me that sign.

Carey: Oh, so now you wanna hit a brotha with a garbage can?! All I am trying to say is... is all this worth our time and effort? Shouldn't that be the goal of any business? You know, to keep a keen eye on the money (sugar) coming in and the money going out? Sure, we COULD meet a few new people. We, COULD stay in contact with old family members and friends. But, what do we stand to lose during the process. You know, shouldn' we keep our eyes on the bottom line? You have to admit that the unforeseen is a major factor in the down-fall of many businesses.

Troy: So, let me get this straight. You're saying we have to pay the piper?

Carey: come on, you're getting warm.

Troy: You're saying, there's a price to pay for the time and effort we put into using Facebook?

Carey: Keep talking Kunta Kenta

Troy: You're saying, the rewards of using facebook, pales in comparison to the downside of doing so?

Carey: Bingo, Stepin fetchit, now get yo ass over there and pour me some of that kool-aid. Lets see what we are working with. We COULD make some money.

Troy: Hold it Carey, there's no sugar in that Kool-aid. Would you like a substitute?

Carey: Nope! But would you like a swift kick in your ass, because I'd rather fight than switch.

Troy: Huuummm, I could.

• 5 weeks later...

Well jackie, Troy made me do it. See, didn't you notice it was his idea. I mean, he coulda, shoulda, woulda been alright if he just learns to say I am right. *lol*

But you did notice that he didn't come back. He's probably on facebook or twitter. You know, getting in touch with all of his old friends. But I wonder what they do after they find each other? Maybe they'll just sit there and jitter their twitters.

Btw, what are you doing down here reading this old post? Anyway, since you're here, would you like some of this cool-aid? Troy could of had some, but you know....

Is he right?

(I have been telling you that since the first. At least you did finally figure it out.

NOW HEAR THIS--

The Internet has slack capacity. Facebook--Twitter, and whatever these fiends come up with next are created to soak up that capacity with meaningless drivel. The makers know that the average web user is an egomaniac who thinks he is a genius for figuring out how to use the computer and who thinks that his every utterance is worth posting.

Welcome back to the Land of the Living, Mr. Johnson! Go forth and sin no more!