A Wake-Up Call

Streeeeetching and yaaaaaawning, snuggled in my woman cave, still immersed in the allegorical mode that grants me poetic license and inspires me to characterize myself as a bear in hibernation, and my cliché-spouting detractor as a pesky rodent skulking outside my den.:P

I wasn’t moved to bestir myself enough to watch the last Republican debate sans Donald Trump. The GOP presidential candidates fill me with so much disgust that I refuse to subject myself to their lies and racism and evangelical zealotry. Unfortunately, it looks like Trump's hot air balloon is not going to be deflated but - maybe the surreptitious Hiliary will win by default because her experience can’t be denied. If it’s anything this country needs, it’s a pragmatic bitch, eager to clean house and fix things up.  Trump’s insipid mantra of  “making America great again” promises nothing that can be described as an improvement.  

A wakeful interval on Saturday night, however, did lead me to check out the televised Screen Actors Guild (SAG) award show,  where I watched Uzo Aduba, Queen Latifa, and Viola Davis,  beat out their white rivals, and emerge winners for their stellar portrayals of strong black women, - naturally.  Idris Elba also copped 2 trophys, a good thing even if I have trouble relating  to a brotha with an African name, who speaks with a British accent.  His tongue-in-cheek reference to the show as “diverse TV”, however, was spot on. The cast of “Straight Outta Compton”, not surprisingly, was passed over for the trophy awarded to the best ensemble.  But they looked really cool in their formal wear, and unfazed by their loss. Comedienne Carole Burnette received the Lifetime Achievement award.  Because we are the same age, I’ve always followed her career.  It’s like we grew up together and I appreciated how much of a trail blazer she was in a male dominated field. And her parodies always struck a note with me because if there’s anything I like, it’s a dismantling of the absurd. 

Thankfully,  my intermittent naps have been restful and refreshing.  Stimulating, too, because my subconscious mind has been ripe with contemplation, for some strange reason revisiting the words of Marcel Proust who advised that the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes, and it is with another set of eyes that a simple verse reverberating from my childhood sends a metaphorical message that has taken on new meaning for me in the twilight of my years...

Row, row, row your boat, 
gently down the stream. 
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, 
life is but a dream…

Ho Hum. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....

• Like 3

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - HDT

@Cynique I've only been active here long enough to experience you during your hibernation and I've felt a singe. (If I feel it, it's real) 

I could only imagine how "hot in "herre" it's going to be when you arise in the spring. :)  

I'm glad SOC cast didn't win anything - they may be fine actors but  they portrayed terrorists - (of black women) .

• Like 3

"I wasn’t moved to bestir myself enough to watch the last Republican debate sans Donald Trump. The GOP presidential candidates fill me with so much disgust that I refuse to subject myself to their lies and racism and evangelical zealotry."

Ha! I can understand for the most obvious reasons why you refused to watch. I did watch it...for the first time (I missed all the other debates). I wanted to see what they would say and how the dynamics would change minus the so-called Donald. I was not disappointed. It was exactly what I expected. The same tired and tedious Obama bashing, military grandstanding and a menagerie of other extreme right wing blustering. It just reinforced what I already knew.....