Chris Jackson Is Building a Black Literary Movement

Troy

"One of the publishing industry’s only black editors is transmitting ideas from writers on the margins to the mainstream readers who need to hear them."
By Vinson Cunningham, Feb. 2, 2016 (Read the full article)

chris-jackson-times-article.jpg.bdace996

Now is it a "Black Literary Movement" is the only beneficiaries are the corporations, who essentially do not employ Black people and a handful of Black authors?

I read that article too, shared it on my google page then quickly deleted it... I wondered too if it can be movement when Chris Jackson is  a party of one pushing one "voice" from a group of male authors.  It was Chimamanda Adichie who warned of us of The Danger of a Single Story in her Ted Talk.  I get the sense with the authors mentioned this movement might be one of the monoliths she warns of.  I could be wrong but I read as much of the article as I could to find his platform.  I got tired of the purple prose describing black people much like one would if they were just visiting "darkest africa" for the first time.  

Oh the writers seems to be much more concerned with flowery prose rather than relating formation.

He described Clarence Reynolds, the director of the Center for Black Literature at Medgar Evers College as, "a stocky man with yellow-brown skin, closely cropped hair and a heather gray goatee."  He never mention his name or role.  That is just stupid. if you ask me.  I know Clarence.  The impact the writer has by describing Clarence this way was to marginalized him--and the writer Vinson is Black.  But again who is the target audience for this article....

And phrase like "... and shoes with insouciant laces ..." add nothing to the story.  If was a struggle to get through the article because of so much useless prose.

@Mel Hopkins, while I do share articles to the New York Times, if I have an issue with the article I'll send people here first.

One thing I did find funny was that was that Chris and the author have been mistaken for Ta-Nehisi Coates.  I'm 5'7'' and have been mistaken for Ta-Nehisi (who has to be 6'5'') too.

Despite all I have written, net-net, this article on Chris was a good look for him. Chris along with Dawn Davis, and Andrea Davis Pinkney are among less than a handful of very senior Black people in publishing. You don't reach reach a high level in these organization without a great deal of ability.  

5 minutes ago, Troy said:

One thing I did find funny was that was that Chris and the author have been mistaken for Ta-Nehisi Coates.  I'm 5'7'' and have been mistaken for Ta-Nehisi (who has to be 6'5'').  

Yes I'm getting the sense that flowery is the new print journalism.  Old school broadcast journalist here - and  even with 15, 30 sec or 1.15 sec video at the most, it meant I had to get to the point with FACTS!  

And you nailed it - his description of Clarence Reynolds made me throw up in my mouth a little.

@Troy :D ...I thought I deleted that part of my comment! I was going to write  about the mistaken identity (but didn't, right?) because it was turning into long rant and reflection of my good ole days at Penguin USA..  

I was actually offended that the author included how Chris Jackson is often mistaken for one of his writers.  It  made me really want to punch the author in the face for that one... It was offhanded "Stacey-who";  "all-you-black-people-look-a-like" remark.  In fact, most of those New York Times reporters find a way to marginalize black people. They too are on my boycott list (as far as "paying") I will occasionally read an article - if it looks like the reporter has some sense.  

@Mel Hopkins, I often hate reading the New York Times when they cover Black people, as they often write these condescending pieces which they think are sympathetic but I find downright racist.  

I usually read the Wall Street Journal, I only recently cancelled my subscription to save money.  They strike me as a paper that reports the truth providing information that people can actually use.  You would never read an article written the way the one above was.  I may bite the bullet and resubscribe, as I miss the information.  I'm more information when I also read a physical newspaper like the Wall Street Journal catching the miscellaneous articles from the times is sufficient. I find myself reading more articles from the Guardian.