Ishmael Reed is Making Marky Z Rich

This audio interview was done in 2009.  Ishmael saw into the future better than Nostradamus.  But it is very frustrating to listen to this because while Ishmael is speaking the truth his behavior, particularly on Facebook, goes directly counter to what he is saying here.  He is making Marky Z rich, as the saying goes... I just don't get it.  I have invited him to comment here on occasion as well, but he never has.

Of course it is terribly difficult to pull people off Facebook, so that does not make Ishmael unusual, but I don't expect usual behavior from a man of his intellect.  We need him engaging on Black owned platforms. 

I say move on Troy and leave it alone. There is a whole group of people who value AALBC and are waiting on just the right time to begin interacting and writing. I've made an analysis, it always appears to me that those who are in the best position to bring about change, rarely do. The grassroots have always been at the forefront of the movement. That's just the way it is.

• Like 3

wow "merciful slave master"...and then he returns to the "cyber plantation" known as facebook.  I couldn't in good conscious provide content to facebook for free.  I wouldn't continue to provide "eyes" for ads that I wasn't benefiting.  Mr. Reed doesn't need the facebook platform - facebook platform needs the likes of Reed. 

• Like 3

@Mel Hopkins, exactly. Further, Black platforms that could benefit from his presence lose as a result--including his own.

I could simply be that Reed knows he needs the platform, that no Black owned platform, including his own, would benefit him as much as posting on Facebook daily, and that I refuse to accept that.  

Reed, in his three hour C-Span interview which I've been listening to off and on as I work, said he uses Facebook "maybe too much".  

He also said that people send him things that would not not otherwise get. It always puzzles me when someone says something like that about Facebook.  It make me wonder how in the world we made it without Facebook? 

32 minutes ago, Troy said:

It make me wonder how in the world we made it without Facebook? 

Me too... but we made it by using our personal networks.  When I wanted to meet someone, or speak with someone I counted on someone in my network to make the connection.  Today, I think we're too impatient to bother.

• Like 1