White Man's Disease

Dr T

Hello. I am pending publication of a memoir, White Man's Disease. White Man’s Disease is not overtly about race (although a publisher/mentor told me a memoir written by a Black man in America is inevitably about race.) Nor is White Man’s Disease literally about a disease--it's metaphorical--medical calamity provides a subtext.  I have a blog with excerpts here: http://whitemansdisease.weebly.com/ The photo is a placeholder for the book cover art. Thank you.

• Like 2

I'd read it! I read the chapters posted and it's engaging. I would sit and read each chapter if they were posted... which would defeat the purpose of writing the book, lol. I would buy the book though. I shared it also. Congrats and I'm looking forward to the release.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thx CDBurns. It goes to the editor tomorrow. One possible reason for the rough transitions is that I have left out large gaps of narrative--I tried to indicate that with ellipses. Thanks for your comments.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is so much in this section that just the fifth grade year alone could be a chapter by itself. I was bussed to school like you. I was also placed in "honors" classes. Your story is very common as I carried the problem of being smart from elementary into the Navy. I never wanted anyone to know I had a brain. This became progressively worse as I reached high school. It all eventually led to me going down some very twisted paths. Excellent chapter and I will undoubtedly buy the book when it drops. It's rare to get a coming of age narrative. The last one that felt familiar was Michael Datcher's Raising Fences. That book though hit close to home because it was set in LA and a lot of the names on the Poetry Scene used to come to the Gallery 504 poetry readings I hosted in San Diego. This is like reading my story set in NY.

• 2 weeks later...

New "fun facts" page on my book website; check it out (they are kind of fun): http://www.whitemansdisease.com/fun-facts.html

Note to fellow newbies: I have learned a lot in recent days about using photos from the Internet on your site including about a blogger who got sued even though she immediately removed an offending photo and still ended paying thousands!

I can't answer a single question! LOL. I'm terrible at retaining info when I'm reading it in chunks and random times. I guess I'm not reading with a very close eye either. I'm laughing at your making sure you use photos and list where they come from. I tend to create a backlink to any info from somewhere else anyway because it helps you in two ways. It shows respect and the backlink increases search results. Cool feature and keep rolling. I have to read the Ali section.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Mother's Day. In the spirit of Mother's Day, here is a brief excerpt about the fateful May 28, 1985 phone calls to my mom and mother-in-law, that occur near the beginning of the story. Book is close; editing done, proof & cover art draft on Monday; I will be requested a review very soon. http://www.whitemansdisease.com/blog

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...