The Black Man's Survival Guide

As a black man I've got way too many questions with too few answers. I got tired of waiting for someone else to create the site that tries to answer these questions so we decided to create it. The Black Man's Survival Guide is located at www.afrodaddy.com and it contains articles about basic survival skills for black men as well as information on how to save money and be more efficient. We hope the site provides black men information about things that they don't know but need to know to help themselves and their families. This is a community project and we need the ideas and content of all the positive, literate and intelligent brothers and sisters in this forum. First, tell me if this is a good idea and second, give me some advise about getting some good, relevant content.

Thank you AALBC members!

Well, first you could start by changing your name. I mean, there's only one woman (around here) that can get away with a name like that. Her name is Soul Sister. She's had that name for some time and has paid her dues to wear it. But Team Afro?

That sounds like Huggy Bear's social club. But I am going to click on the link to see if I can find something relavant and intelligent. As a black man (too), I need a little survival kit. But since I am a black man (old black man), I've learned to seek first to understand.

Well AfroDaddy, I've gone and I've come back. And, since you asked for it. Here's my feedback. There's nothing new over there. Really, it appears to be a lot of the same ol same ol... nothing new.

There's a bunch of stuff to digest, but nothing new. I read the blogs mission but I couldn't find a central point on the blog in which a confluence of information, feedback, forums, ideas, etc, would all come together. There were several "viewpoints" SEVERAL, however, there was no central point. I mean, even in the Afroblog section, there was nothing new. I've read most of those blogs(in the past), and again, nothing new. Most of them are well written, but....

Even the google driven adds were the same... Black Singles Network, SugarDaddy.something "we only accept men making over $100,000.", Get your degree in 4 weeks.

Oh, and this was a dandy, This Week In Blackness.... Is this site necessary in the Obama era?

1. Yes, we are still struggling

2. No, Obama will fix everything

3. I know it all already

Duh, which one should I pick while they're slapping me in my face.

NO Team Afro, you have to come with something new. I've seen your house before, and I've heard those same old songs. I am not Humphrey Bogart, so I don't want you to play it again, Sam.

And, let me get something straight. So, AfroDaddy is like the Wizard of Oz? I mean, there really is not an Afro Daddy, right? So who is the daddy? I mean, who is behind this blog? Somebody is driving that car.

I checked out your site and give you an "E" for effort. The format is professional and attractive, its content fairly relevant. If your target audience includes those looking to get their game together, "afrodaddy" would seem to be an appropriate name because implicit in this title is the idea of mentoring. This name also espouses your intent to represent yourself as a support group.

Just to spice up the usual menu you are serving up, however, I would suggest a little subliminal injection via of quick multiple choice vocabulary and grammar quizzes. Being articulate and well-spoken is certainly an asset for any black man, and too many of them seem woefully inadequate in this area, expecially when it comes to the written word.

This may seem pedantic and patronizing, even elitist but no "survival guide" should be without a Plan B. Having swagger and playa skills and street smarts and being adept at texting are fine, but if you are hampered by an inadequate vocabulary that contributes to a poor command of the English language, you may be missing out on opportunities. These tests could be wake-up calls for those who fail them, inspiring them to hone the skills that they don't realize they are lacking.

Well AfroDaddy, I've gone and I've come back. And, since you asked for it. Here's my feedback. There's nothing new over there. Really, it appears to be a lot of the same ol same ol... nothing new.

There's a bunch of stuff to digest, but nothing new. I read the blogs mission but I couldn't find a central point on the blog in which a confluence of information, feedback, forums, ideas, etc, would all come together. There were several "viewpoints" SEVERAL, however, there was no central point. I mean, even in the Afroblog section, there was nothing new. I've read most of those blogs(in the past), and again, nothing new. Most of them are well written, but....

Even the google driven adds were the same... Black Singles Network, SugarDaddy.something "we only accept men making over $100,000.", Get your degree in 4 weeks.

Oh, and this was a dandy, This Week In Blackness.... Is this site necessary in the Obama era?

1. Yes, we are still struggling

2. No, Obama will fix everything

3. I know it all already

Duh, which one should I pick while they're slapping me in my face.

NO Team Afro, you have to come with something new. I've seen your house before, and I've heard those same old songs. I am not Humphrey Bogart, so I don't want you to play it again, Sam.

And, let me get something straight. So, AfroDaddy is like the Wizard of Oz? I mean, there really is not an Afro Daddy, right? So who is the daddy? I mean, who is behind this blog? Somebody is driving that car.

Thanks for the comments careycarey. I am completely down for constructive criticism. As far as the name Team Afro is concerned, we had that name before we came to this forum so unfortunately I don't see that changing. In regards to the content, the purpose of the site is to provide something that you may not know and/or need to know. If the site has not done that for you then it has failed you. Granted we are just getting started (launch date August 1) and there will be much more content in the upcoming days, weeks and months but we want every piece of content we place to be relevant in some way whether it is educational, informative, enlightening and in some cases a little humorous.

The main point I want to make here is that this is a community project. The writers at AfroDaddy (just another way to say black fathers) are really just seeding the site with their content. The point of the site is for contributors (like you and the members of this forum) to submit content by asking questions, answering questions, providing comments and/or submitting articles. We also want to recommend more in depth writings from authors (black or otherwise) who will enlighten the community with their insights, again providing black men with ideas, concepts and strategies that they may not be aware of. Keep the good comments coming careycarey and don't hold back. Criticism is what makes us all better!

I checked out your site and give you an "E" for effort. The format is professional and attractive, its content fairly relevant. If your target audience includes those looking to get their game together, "afrodaddy" would seem to be an appropriate name because implicit in this title is the idea of mentoring. This name also espouses your intent to represent yourself as a support group.

Just to spice up the usual menu you are serving up, however, I would suggest a little subliminal injection via of quick multiple choice vocabulary and grammar quizzes. Being articulate and well-spoken is certainly an asset for any black man, and too many of them seem woefully inadequate in this area, expecially when it comes to the written word.

This may seem pedantic and patronizing, even elitist but no "survival guide" should be without a Plan B. Having swagger and playa skills and street smarts and being adept at texting are fine, but if you are hampered by an inadequate vocabulary that contributes to a poor command of the English language, you may be missing out on opportunities. These tests could be wake-up calls for those who fail them, inspiring them to hone the skills that they don't realize they are lacking.

Thanks for the feedback Cynique. Your points about knowing proper english versus street slang are very well received and if the site is going to educate and inform on one side it should definitely do the same on the other. As with all my responses I would ask of you that if you know anyone who would like to contribute any content (related to the 6 survival guide topics OR a general topic that we should know about) to please have them email me at teamafro@afrodaddy.com. This site will only work if people much smarter than I contribute their content!

Okay Team Afro, I see your point. You see yourself as a community. My feedback was coming from the perspective of someone looking for mentoring, answers, etc,. From that viewpoint, the site seemed like another big box store. I can get that same information from a number of sources

For example, one article was beating up the NAACP, and then, there were other articles supporting that organization.

In reference to the blogs, again, there was a mix, but no central point. Some of those gentlemen I have talk to. Their views are completely oppposite each others. Take for instance Max and the Hip Hop Republican. I've sat with Max on a blog radio show. He and the young republican, have sparred on the same show. I am just having a hard time seeing this as a "survival guide" when there's so much differing information. To compound that problem, many of those blogs are another avenue of articles within articles. If I was a confused man looking for mentoring or answers, I'd really be lost after reading that confusion.

Although I joked about the site being The Wizard of Oz, in my opinion, it needs a moderator. I don't know if you know the history of AALBC, but in it's early years, it was driven by the host of Thumper's corner. His name is.... Thumper :-). A person felt as if they were connected with someone they could touch and not just being used. I realize your goals are different than a site selling books, but human emotions do not change. Having said that, when I went to your site, and not knowing who would "answer" my call, I felt like a lost lamb. More importantly, how am I to believe or why should I believe in the "advice" received at your site, if I don't know who I am talking to, and/or if they have an ulterior motive for being a part of your site, other than helping me find my way?

I believe the site should be less secretive. I know some mission statements are cookie cutter affairs. Some are used to fill a prerequisite to receive funding, and other are used to impress others. But it's my hope and suggestion that you can define your mission with more clarity, and then share that mission so we all know the name of the game.

Also, I believe someone has to be responsible for it's contents or accept the responsibility of monitoring it's contents. That can be accomplished by, again, taking a page from AALBC. The profiles of it's contributors are saying it loud, like they are black and proud, and they are not hiding anything.

Again, I realize your mission and goals are different from AALBC's, but if I can borrow a line from the movie Cider House Rules, when the two apple pickers pulled out razors, one said "What business are you in"? If you can define that answer and it's something other than "giving information", if not, your attraction (imo) is nothing more than I can receive at CNN, FOX NEWS, Rush Limberger, The Root or The View.

If we as black people, continue to do the same things, we will continue to get the same results. And as it stands, we are doing something wrong.

One more thing, at your site, you did mention that each area of concern would be handled by "someone" but it's important for me to know who those "someones" are. Think about it, would you follow the advice of a ghost. To me, that would be a fools errand. And, I know you are not trying to lead lambs to their slaughter. Of course many would follow the words of wordsmiths and slick talkers. We've all seen the ways and the lure of pulpit pimps and those selling dreams.

Why are you trying to complicate something that is relatively simple, Carey?? I didn't get the impression that AfroDaddy is a forum for discussion, ala AALBC. Why would it need a monitor?? Its format appears to be more along the lines of an online magazine, offering a potpurri of advice, information, entertainment, editorials and news, with the message being just as important as the messenger. Your nit-pickin is off point because you don't seem to "get it".

Slow down Miss NAACP. I got what I got and of course you saw things differently.

I heard a sales pitch and a request for feedback. You did your best stepin fetchit and I did my thang. You saw an on-line magazine offering a potpurri of advice, information, entertainment, editorials and news, with " the message being just as important as the messenger" (whatever the heck that means). And I said, what's new? I also said, if we continue to do the same things, we will continue to get the same results. They called this new venture a black man's survival kit. I said, how so?

I don't know what YOU got, but go right ahead and google another cookie cutter response. Monkey see, Monkey doo-doo. It's safe. But see, I understand you. You're too old to think outside the box. You've been brainwashed, and you love it! So go right ahead, Buckwheat's sister, Nit-your pick - at me. It won't be the first time and I smelled you coming through the door cool.gif

But since you're predictable, where is my paper. Lets see... #121, Carey is retarded. #122, Carey thinks I have to bow to his commands. #123, Carey is an old fart. #124, Carey is....

Come on Miss spell checker. Hijack the tread some more. Do what you do, and we'll see what we get.

Look who's complaining about something not being "new". You had to haul out the same ol tired standbys that expose your lack of imagination when it comes to "put-downs". Get some fresh material, you boring ol flannel mouth. We've heard your Cynique litany sooooo many times before. yaaawn.(Guess you're gonna keep on doin it till you get it right.)

As far as afrodaddy goes, because the site didn't conform to your preconceived notions, you proceeded to knock it. You couldn't grasp the idea that it is what it is - a genre, and that there is no need for it to be different from other sites; just better, or at least competitive. In maintaining journalistic integrity, being different just for the sake of being different is not a plus. Something you prove every time you try to write anything original.

You're so busy trying to show off what you think you know that, as usual, you ended up looking like the befuddled old fool that you are. You can't even stand back and look at the total picture, much less think outside the box. I might add that the biggest thing the afrodaddy site has going for it, is its conciseness, something that you have absolutely no talent for, which undoubtedly accounts for the clueless rambling you are trying to pass off as a critique. Talk about somebody high-jackin a thread. Puleeze.