Protect your Blog and Website Install Wordfence

It seems my Blog was bombarded by attempts to log into my admin account.  The this barrage of attempts caused to to exceed the allocation of resources allocated to me by my web host.  Which essentially brought down anything that uses a database, my Blog, large sections of my website site and this discussion forum.  It took me 12 hours to resolve all of these issues--the long outage by website has suffered in 18 years.

It really never ends.  A bunch of IP address were blocked and I installed a plugin on my wordpress blog called Wordfence.  Basically it will block any IP address that attempts multiple failed login's.  This should prevent this problem from reoccurring.  If you use the Wordpress CMS I encourage you to install Wordfence too.

These are a few of the login attempts stopped today and it is not yet noon.  Notice that my domain name and and "Admin" are popular login name.  I would advise you to change your login name if you are using these.

A user with IP address 149.156.172.1 has been locked out from the signing in or using the password recovery form for the following reason: Exceeded the maximum number of login failures which is: 20. The last username they tried to sign in with was: 'aalbc.com'
User IP: 149.156.172.1
User hostname: zeus.wzks.uj.edu.pl
User location: Krakow, Poland

A user with IP address 186.202.141.67 has been locked out from the signing in or using the password recovery form for the following reason: Exceeded the maximum number of login failures which is: 20. The last username they tried to sign in with was: 'aalbc.com'
User IP: 186.202.141.67
User hostname: cprohostinglin0839.publiccloud.com.br
User location: Brazil

A user with IP address 188.165.217.39 has been locked out from the signing in or using the password recovery form for the following reason: Exceeded the maximum number of login failures which is: 20. The last username they tried to sign in with was: 'admin'
User IP: 188.165.217.39
User hostname: ns372224.ip-188-165-217.eu User location: France

• Like 2

You know it's never random when these attacks happen. They start with one person and then it radiates to their network. I currently use a combination of Akismet and Stop Spammers for my sneaker site since it has an auction site now. It's unfortunate, but I guess the job calls for vigilance.

• Like 2