Google reports My Site My Have Been Hacked

I got the following message from Google last night, but did not see it until this morning. 
googlelogo_color_112x36dp.png Search Console

Hacked content detected on http://edit1st.com/

To: Webmaster of http://edit1st.com/,

Google has detected that your site has been hacked by a third party who created malicious content on some of your pages. This critical issue utilizes your site’s reputation to show potential visitors unexpected or harmful content on your site or in search results. It also lowers the quality of results for Google Search users. Therefore, we have applied a manual action to your site that will warn users of hacked content when your site appears in search results. To remove this warning, clean up the hacked content, and file a reconsideration request. After we determine that your site no longer has hacked content, we will remove this manual action.

Following are one or more example URLs where we found pages that have been compromised. Review them to gain a better sense of where this hacked content appears. The list is not exhaustive.

http://edit1st.com/tethjf__xdyijr

The first thing I did was run a Google search that would return my site (Edit1st.com) in the results and I saw the message.  

"This Site May Be Hacked" 

Now would you visit a site with this message?  I wouldn't either, but so far organic traffic does not seem to have been hurt by the google warning.  I guess people are missing or ignoring the warning for now, but it has been less than 24 hours since the warning was posted and Friday is literally the slowest time for website traffic on my websites.

At any rate, I just removed the code seems to have been some php code added to one of my directories I have NO idea how that could have happened.  The Edit.1st site is a WordPress site, so I added Wordfence plugin, changed my password using wordpress's password generation tool, deactivated plugins I no longer use, a took a few other precautions.  

Hopefully Google will get rid of this message soon.

image001.png

Troy it happened to me before as well. My sneaker site was removed from search and I had to request for it to be reinstated after cleaning it up. It has happened whether I was using Wordpress or html/css or java. It simply doesn't matter when people are determined to hurt your site. It can also happen by request from a visitor. I hate this,but Google has been very fair in reinstatement and they respond very fast. You do need to make sure you go into Webmaster tools and make sure your site is still able to be indexed. 

It's interesting... your site seems to be targeted intentionally and maliciously which leads me to an analysis I use to make when someone would get robbed in the hood. When your house is broken into, it's always someone you know or are familiar with. Break in in the hood are almost never random. Just like hacks are hardly ever random.

• Like 1

The one good thing about Google is that they force you to keep your site tight.  I'm sure my site is better than it would have been without Google's influence.

On the other hand the idea that one company can exert so much influence is troubling, for Google does make mistakes from time to time, and those mistakes cost people money and even their livelihoods.

Google has removed the "this site may be hacked message," and my Edit1st.com website and the site is better as a result, so in this instance Google was a benefit.

But overall, collectively, I'm not convinced the benefits Google provides outweigh the negatives.

I doubt, it was someone close to me that hacked the site.  No one other than myself manages my websites.  Because WordPress is so popular (something like 70% of websites use their software) it is a target of hackers.  If a vulnerability is found millions of websites can be compromised. 

• Like 1

Good point on the presence of website and people finding vulnerabilties. I guess I was talking more about the mess with the pictures and spamming on the message board. For someone to take such a keen interest in you personally, on a level I've never witnessed, it's crazy. Even with all of the insanity in the sneaker biz, I've never seen such a targeted mess. 

I conform to Google because it is the most used search engine so being in compliance is important. We are all at the mercy of a bigger entity. It sucks but it's the way it is.

No doubt regarding Google.

I have to admit I have not been targeted for so long by what appears to be the same entity.  I'm not sure it was the same group that hit by edit1st site and that has been spamming AALBC.com, again this has always been an ongoing problem.

I did notice that some of the other sites being hit by the same spammers include Bossip, Madamenoir, and Worldstarhiphop.  Interestingly, Worldstarhiphop has apparently invested no effort in stopping the spamming.  Some of their "articles" have thousands of comments many of the racist kind I've been fighting against. It looks like Worldstarhophip is using all of it to generate traffic.  

Most days the racism spammer comments outnumber actual comments on my site.  But I'm targeting a completely different demographic so Worldstarhiphop tactics would not work for me.  But at one point Worldstarhiphop generated the most traffic of any Black site owned or black demographic site.

• Like 1